English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
At least we supported our team at hard times and now look we are back at the champions league spot.

No one said we're not supporting Utd anymore and if you're trying to tell me that you didn't have similar discussions with friends when Liverpool started going down the pan, then you're lying. We're merely concerned about the direction that Moyes is currently taking the club.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
^That comment was a reply to some fans who can't support their manager/team at hard times. So that means you are not part of them. :) I really do like fans like you. :thumbs

Highlander999

ICC President
So we have beaten Man U, Chelsea and Spurs and drawn with Liverpool playing over half the game with 10 men. Yet, have lost to Hull, Sunderland, Swansea and drew with West Ham.

How bloody annoying is it to be a Newcastle fan!!!??? Still reckon we will get top 7 :)

Lee1981

International Coach
So it wasn't verbal, it was actually on display! Either someone's having a laugh, or we're about to get a big announcement. I agree with Lee though - sacking Moyes now is not going to help anyone.

----------

Ferdinand will pack it in soon, but will go down as very good player for Utd.
Evra will probably go elsewhere, but has been a very good buy for us.
Cleverly... seems that he had a lot of potential which went out of the window after that bad injury.

Welbeck barely gets a game.
Anderson... yep, he's had enough time.
Smalling...will be a good player.

Valencia/Nani...show flashes of brilliance but are not consistent enough.

I'm worried about this Sky thing though.

Can't agree on Welbeck, done nothing when he has played, and obviously Moyes thinks the same one of his best decisions so far

And again Smalling looks far to clumsy and does not have the necessary distribution skills a modern day defender needs, a defender needs more than being brave and committed

Can't dispute Evra and Ferdinand have been great players, but enough is enough, same with Giggs, please move on.

Most importantly you Need some creation other than Rooney, can't keep relying on him

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Can't dispute Evra and Ferdinand have been great players, but enough is enough, same with Giggs, please move on.

Most importantly you Need some creation other than Rooney, can't keep relying on him

Yep; Giggs is finished. He's had an amazing career, one that will never be repeated but even superhumans like Giggs have a time when they simply cannot do it anymore and I think that time has come now. And yeah, Rooney badly needs some help in the creative dept.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Welbeck can't finish his dinner it's tragic. Missed an absolute sitter against Everton if I remember correctly (free header that came off the bar?). Awful awful player. The very fact 31 center backs in the Premiership had more goals than him last season speaks volumes no? Hasn't done any better this season barring the pipe opener v Swansea.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Wellbeck gets far too much stick.

I'm not saying he is a good player because I'm not a lunatic, but he must do some things well. Otherwise Ferguson wouldn't have played him about 40 times last season, and united wouldn't have won the league

In a side with Van Persie and Rooney's ability, as well as Hernandez's finishing he must have had a role beyond scoring goals, which he must have done reasonably well.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Welbeck does everything well except score. Fit, strong and has the speed ability like Ross Barkeley, to get away from players.

This is why Feguson used him in that C-League match vs Real Madrid, last season to man-mark Xabi all game & Hodgson on the left-wing for England.

But he is a striker by trade & i wonder if by playing in those different positions all the time, his development as a striker is being hindered currently & thus he misses many chances when he gets into goal-scoring positions.

Lee1981

International Coach
Welbeck this season

8 starts
2 goal
1 assist

Last season

23 starts
2 goals
5 assists

Proof he is not good enough, and even more fuel to the fire is he is 24 now, as a "quick" player his best days are now or maybe even gone, as a striker at Man utd you should have made your mark at 24, he is not a young player anymore, he should be in his prime, he has experience now and is still at a good age physically.

Simply put... Not good enough for a top 4 club

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Most top half clubs have better strikers. Some bottom half ones too, I would take Berbatov or Altidore over him any day for example.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Welbeck can't finish his dinner it's tragic. Missed an absolute sitter against Everton if I remember correctly (free header that came off the bar?). Awful awful player. The very fact 31 center backs in the Premiership had more goals than him last season speaks volumes no? Hasn't done any better this season barring the pipe opener v Swansea.

Yet he scores on a regular basis for England.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

Yea while he wasn't scoring for United last season, he was scoring for ENG because Hodgson played him up front more often.

But now United & ENG have tended to play him as a left-winger, using his other assets to help Cole/Baines/Evra defensively on that flank.

So while the others are right to throw shots at him for his lack of scoring & him probably being lucky to be at a top 4 club, they don't seem to be considering that he has not played as in his preferred striker position since noah was a boy.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
+1.

I still vaguely wish for Berba to come back. Perhaps the unluckiest player to face SAF's bold axing at times. He had to go the hard way in his last seasons with United but he did nothing wrong though, oozed class whenever he was on the pitch, even if he's plays in slow mo. Same with Forlan and Rossi. Wonder how United would've been if these guys were still around.

Welbeck is a curious case isn't he. Under performs against mid table sides, does everything he shouldn't, can't perform simple tekkers inside the box and passes when he could tap in for a goal... and Out of nowhere he can score ridiculously well for England and in the top games in CL.

Perhaps another loan move should do him good, don't think they'd let another player who knows United inside out go out on a transfer. It's easy to diss him but he's only partly to blame for his lack of goals since the last season. He links up with wide men so well but United's wingers went through an awful period of time last season and he was played out of position most of the time. But still 4th in the pecking order, definitely overplayed than Chicharito.

Users who are viewing this thread