External Hard Drive not recognized

Ramz

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have been trying all day trying to get my external hard drive to be recognized by WinXp but its not working and really beginning to :mad: me.

I check the Device Manager and can see my Maxtor HD there, but when I click My Computer its not there.

Also when I click the USB controllers in device manager I can't see the USB Mass Storage, whereas I can see all the other USB devices.

Also when I click the Manage and then Disk Management I can only see my C Drive and not my Maxtor Hard drive.

When I plugged the USB cable in it said 'new hardware found' but thats all it says, I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried everything.

I tried it on another computer and it didnt work..

Hope somebody can help me.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have been trying all day trying to get my external hard drive to be recognized by WinXp but its not working and really beginning to :mad: me.

I check the Device Manager and can see my Maxtor HD there, but when I click My Computer its not there.

Also when I click the USB controllers in device manager I can't see the USB Mass Storage, whereas I can see all the other USB devices.

Also when I click the Manage and then Disk Management I can only see my C Drive and not my Maxtor Hard drive.

When I plugged the USB cable in it said 'new hardware found' but thats all it says, I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried everything.

I tried it on another computer and it didnt work..

Hope somebody can help me.

Are you plugging the both usb ?? you should do, otherwise it will not recognise

Another thing, use the back ones not trhe front. Generally external likes the support from back than front.

Ramz

International Coach
I have only got the back USB's on my pc .. and yes I have plugged both USB's and still it doesnt recognize it.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

I have only got the back USB's on my pc .. and yes I have plugged both USB's and still it doesnt recognize it.

Is it new or old ? this is the symptom of crashing :( i hope its not

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Try plugging it in through a powered usb hub if you have one.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

its kinda new, ive only had it for a year. Lets hope it isn't !

Mine worked for 7 months and then suddenly one day crashed :( later it got replaced but lost all data :crying

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Did you take it out by doing the safe removal or did you just take it out each time?

My uncle is a computer guy and he says that eventually they stop working anyway and that the bigger hard drives are a lot more tempremental. Could just be its decided to pack up.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Ive checked on other computers and it still doesnt seem to work.
If it doesn't work on other computers then it's probably dead. You might be able to recover data by taking it to an expert. Just for the record, this drive doesn't have a separate power supply, right?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Did you take it out by doing the safe removal or did you just take it out each time?

My uncle is a computer guy and he says that eventually they stop working anyway and that the bigger hard drives are a lot more tempremental. Could just be its decided to pack up.
Yeah, hard drives do fail and it's probably a safe practice to treat your most precious data as if all your hard drives will fail tomorrow, but in truth, virtually everyone is shocked when they lose a drive. They are also one of the devices best covered by a manufacturer's warranty, usually about 3-5 years, so it's usually worth sending it off.

Users who are viewing this thread