Fake Names

• Thread starter Deleted member 9102
  • Start date

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah, we don't get sued and PlanetCricket gets members, everyone wins!

As much as I'm enjoying keeping you guessing, I don't want you spending sleepless nights figuring it out. The full-ish explanation follows:
The names are fake, the commentary will be read from those fake names, but by a complete coincidence the fake names are pronounced exactly the same as the actual name, so when the written name is patched the spoken names will sound exactly right (despite the fact they are not the actual names of the players).
This is done basically by switching letters with other ones that make the same sound, here are some example names that best show it: Ganguly is Gangooley, O'Brien is O'Bryan, Tuffey is Toughie, Tait is Tate, Collingwood is Kollengwould. See a pattern emerging? Some names are very difficult to do this to so I have had to use letters like ? in some names, and it is obviously more difficult to do shorter names. Other names need to be 'creatively spoken' to sound right, but accidental mispronunciation may happen with some.
Hope that makes sense, and that people like the idea.

I haven't heard anything in relation to Duff's position on the commentary team, so at this stage he still is and in my view it would be disappointing if he didn't. I'll try to ask him directly though. I personally haven't started, I started writing lines a while back but haven't done anything on it in a while, I mean to do it in the school holidays that are coming up for me in about a month so I can do it all within a short space of time (so my voice is consistent).
If someone can dig up the 'Commentary Lines' thread and post a bunch more lines it will be greatly appreciated

Wow, what a great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread