FAO Mikeymerren - Ball physics off the bat, always a straight line path still

blonde_babe

School Cricketer
Hi Mikeymerren,

I remember last year when a guy was advising about the always straight tracectory of the ball in AO Tennis, and eventually I recall you posted notes saying you were going to try and change the ball physics with one patch, and after that Nadal's shots were always bending realistically in flight, and or course all the other players too, in fact it took the game to a new level once the bending in flight was afterwards toned down a bit because it started off bending too much.

I have always noticed that apart from being affected by the wind, the ball off the bat in all your Cricket games is a big let down, it never has spin imparted on it except top or back spin, and always fly's straight until the wind slightly effects it, and so can you not introduce this finally into Cricket 19?

The ball physics for bowling and the spin effects of the ball when it hits the pads, the gloves, the helmet, the body etc always has proper ball spin effects applied to it, but as soon as the ball is hit cleanly from the bat, its always in straight line mode and that is the case for edges too which surely have to have side spin on them in real life, we all know they do.

Please please please bring this into the game, because if you do, this will be the best ball physics related sports game...................ever.

Thank you!!!

Blonde_babe

Set Up Shop

Banned
Hope they don’t copy that side spin from AO tennis because it was over done to the point of ridiculous.

It’s an insignificant issue IMO. Makes no impact in gameplay experience. Things like the frequent and drastic AI batting collapses when simulated in career mode is a far greater concern.

blonde_babe

School Cricketer
Correct about it being too much side spin when Mikeymerren first added it into the shots in AO Tennis, but when toned down as it is now, it means you are almost watching real life tennis. How people are happy or were happy with all the shots in that game travelling in a straight line is anyone's guess... Its like the early football games where crosses came in straight from the wings without curling either way, all a bit lol these days to imagine...

If you like it like this, along with the many others who are happy (most probably dont even look for movement on the shots in the air anyway) with 100% of the shots flying through the air in a straight line, then fair play to you, but one glance at a real match on TV or playing in real life, and even though the ball is heavy, every shot curves through the air with side movement from spin imparted on it, its a natural thing, and of course everyone loves the ball physics in the game in relation to spin bowling and the ball physics when its spinning up off the batsmans parts that are not his bat, so why be happy with shots coded like this? These guys are more than capable of introducing it, just like with AO Tennis, and to see the ball spinning sideways in flight and seeing that movement will be a joy and complete the game for me as a great simulation.

Just to add though that when a shot off the bat eventually bounces out in the field, sidespin often gets imparted onto the ball at that moment so its only really when the bat strikes the ball that sidespin is never on the ball until it touches something else...

AI batting collapses is more of an adjustment in the coding to ensure the simulated innings match a realistic innings, and doesnt have anything visual about it but yes I agree thats something else they can work on.

Set Up Shop

Banned
Correct about it being too much side spin when Mikeymerren first added it into the shots in AO Tennis, but when toned down as it is now, it means you are almost watching real life tennis. How people are happy or were happy with all the shots in that game travelling in a straight line is anyone's guess... Its like the early football games where crosses came in straight from the wings without curling either way, all a bit lol these days to imagine...

If you like it like this, along with the many others who are happy (most probably dont even look for movement on the shots in the air anyway) with 100% of the shots flying through the air in a straight line, then fair play to you, but one glance at a real match on TV or playing in real life, and even though the ball is heavy, every shot curves through the air with side movement from spin imparted on it, its a natural thing, and of course everyone loves the ball physics in the game in relation to spin bowling and the ball physics when its spinning up off the batsmans parts that are not his bat, so why be happy with shots coded like this? These guys are more than capable of introducing it, just like with AO Tennis, and to see the ball spinning sideways in flight and seeing that movement will be a joy and complete the game for me as a great simulation.

Just to add though that when a shot off the bat eventually bounces out in the field, sidespin often gets imparted onto the ball at that moment so its only really when the bat strikes the ball that sidespin is never on the ball until it touches something else...

AI batting collapses is more of an adjustment in the coding to ensure the simulated innings match a realistic innings, and doesnt have anything visual about it but yes I agree thats something else they can work on.
Are you that weird sidespinbazzer dude’s sister?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Are you that weird sidespinbazzer dude’s sister?

I think he's the same bloke with a different user name. He/She's passionate about side spin and things not traveling in a straight line for sure :p

blonde_babe

School Cricketer
Yes its me again (had issues resetting pwd for the other account, just felt easier to come back "as a lady.." lol...), I must indeed be the "weird" one who has cringed 23 times today watching England West Indies, 23 times I have seen the ball arc in the air from a shot, curving left or right. 2 of them were edges, they spun in the air with wicked side spin (yes!! I fitted that expression in again!).

I cringed thinking about how those simple natural ball physics are not in BigAnt games for that clearly unimportant phase when the ball leaves the bat, but ball physics are 100% perfect in this game and all the previous Cricket BigAnt games in all other situations.

Even the edges in this game, where the ball is clearly, being as its an edge, hit on the edge of the ball, but it then acts as if its been hit in the middle of the ball, it then flies on a straight path through the air before being caught or bouncing near the wicket keeper or the slips. Just like all the other shots. No spin other than back or top spin is seen on the ball as it leaves the Bat, and no movement in the air either.

Weird! and to have the new close up catching makes no sense if the ball is not going to deviate unless affected by Wind which some shots are now and again.

And you guys think I am the weird one......surely you guys are "normal" to be happy with straight shots lifted from a 1980's ZX Spectrum game where everything had to be in straight lines.......

For the record though, i do recall Mikeymerren mentioning last year when I was discussing with him the AO Tennis's always straight shots (which he later added varying organic curve to via an update, making it the best Tennis sim ever in my opinion, I mean when did Nadal for example hit straight shots down the line? Exactly) that the Don Bradman and Ashes games at the time didn't have swerve on them on the shots after leaving the Bat as it complicated the mathematics in the coding for guiding fielders to where the ball will land, which is a pity if it remains like this because in the pitch, the batsman is always having to adjust to where the always moving in the air just bowled ball will end up when it gets near the batsman, especially from the great ball physics applied to the spin bowling.

Final thing, I recall a reviewer of one of the more recent MLB The Show games, making a big point about how the shots bend in the air realistically and how it brought a new dimension to the believability of the ball physics in that series, so it cant just be me that sees this as a real downside.

And yes, i cannot spell believability. And it feels quite exciting being a lady now, i think I need help.....

;)

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yes its me again (had issues resetting pwd for the other account, just felt easier to come back "as a lady.." lol...), I must indeed be the "weird" one who has cringed 23 times today watching England West Indies, 23 times I have seen the ball arc in the air from a shot, curving left or right. 2 of them were edges, they spun in the air with wicked side spin (yes!! I fitted that expression in again!), unlike edges in this game where they funnily enough start to spin, then suddently become "hit in the middle of the ball" shots and then fly straight through the air before being caught or bouncing near the wicket keeper or the slips. Just like all the other shots.

I cringed thinking about how those simple natural ball physics are not in BigAnt games for that clearly unimportant phase when the ball leaves the bat, but ball physics are 100% perfect in this game and all the previous Cricket BigAnt games in all other situations.

Weird! and to have the new close up catching now makes no sense if the ball is not going to deviate unless affected by Wind either...

And you guys think I am the weird one......surely you guys feel that "normal" is being happy with straight shots lifted from a 1980's ZX Spectrum game where everything had to be in straight lines.......

For the record though, i do recall Mikeymerren mentioning last year when I was discussing with him the AO Tennis's always straight shots (which he later added curve to via an update, making it the best Tennis sim ever in my opinion, I mean when did Nadal for example hit straight shots down the line? Exactly) that the Don Bradman and Ashes games at the time didn't have swerve on them on the shots after leaving the Bat as it complicated the mathematics in the coding for guiding fielders to where the ball will land, which is a pity if it remains like this because in the pitch, the batsman is always having to adjust to where the always moving in the air just bowled ball (especially from the great ball physics applied to the spin bowling) will end up when it gets near the batsman.

;)

am i imagining that it was patched in to an earlier game? either dbc17 or ashes

blonde_babe

School Cricketer
am i imagining that it was patched in to an earlier game? either dbc17 or ashes

well Wind does make longer shots move in the air a little bit in those older games as well as this game, so at least the ball moves in the air a little bit due to the Wind direction, but even then, the ball is not spinning sideways, or sideways with top or back spin, you know, all kinds of directions a ball spins as depicted in the excellent bowling in this same game. Sad old me has watched replays of so many 4 and 6's and if a shot has deviated in the air, it has always been in the same direction as if the set direction the Wind in the game was set to when that match started is affecting some of the shots, so clearly Wind and not sidespin is making them deviate. I even drew my own overview of the grounds I was playing at, and drew the path of the ball for those shots that deviated due to Wind, it ended up looking like the Big Wheel screen in this game, i could upload a photo of it if anyone is interest, in fact I will do that right now.

Its like 2 different games for me within the same game, pitch ball physics when the bowled ball is bowled, up until it hits the bat are amazing, the ball leaving the bat is always straight line regardless of all the many different shot types we now have in this game, but if it bounces anywhere after it leaves the bat all manner of spin is then on the ball, same as when it hits the batsmans body/gloves/helmet etc, it then has these amazing realistic ball physics again.

So its only that phase when ball leaves the bat and its in the air...

Last edited:

blonde_babe

School Cricketer
Here is the handwritten overview of shots watched in slow motion replay with a tape measure (please dont laugh!) hanging perfectly vertically down the middle of my screen.

I hold the camera viewpoint from a high up and still position near the batsman, make sure the circle marker is showing (it doesnt always) under the ball which shows the exact position of the ball in the air (as if it were on the ground) and watch to see the start and end point of the balls flight path and look at its full flight path, and most fly perfectly straight, those that dont, are always showing the same direction of deviation, and in this example, the Wind which was 29km/h it showed at the start of the match, the Wind was clearly blowing from the Churchill stand end, downwards towards the Don Bradman and BA Noble stands, as each of these shown shots start straight and bend slightly downwards towards these two stands. If some shots had deviated the other way, then it could be argued that shots are being affected by the balls spin, but it cant be with the game as it is at present, same as with the older games.

So only Wind affects the flight of the ball off the bat, its never showing any sideways spin so its curving off of its natural (lol) straight path in the air on these occasions by Wind only.

Please excuse my awful handwriting.....but at least I've done some homework here, I've done this with all the BigAnt games over the last few years and yes what a saddo I must be.....I do like what I see in the mirror these days though with this girl looking back at me.

Hehe

Attachments

• Sydney - Wind blowing towards Don Bradman and MA Noble stands.jpg
    Sydney - Wind blowing towards Don Bradman and MA Noble stands.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread