Final: Australia v England at Bridgetown

D

Dutch

Why would you say that? With those stats it's much of a muchness.

Meh, he is my new hero, so I have to stick up for him!:p What I actually mean is that Collingwood, in my humble opinion, brings more to the England side than Clarke does to the Australian side. Of course you want to see him scoring runs but as a captain and talismatic figure he brings so much more as well.

P

pcfan123

Im only going to get to see the 1st innings, then have to go to a stupid BBQ :mad:

Will wait for the highlights so it means no checking PC or cricinfo for up to 8 hours, don't know how I am going to make it

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Im only going to get to see the 1st innings, then have to go to a stupid BBQ :mad:

Will wait for the highlights so it means no checking PC or cricinfo for up to 8 hours, don't know how I am going to make it

Play Sick?

JackPKDennison

School Cricketer
Paul Collingwood England's key man

I just read the PC article on this match and they missed out who Englands key player is. Despite the fact he averages 8 with the bat and has bowled 1 over the key man is Paul Collingwood. He is vital to England if the game goes to the wire. Should England bat second he must keep a cool head and guide his side home while those around him chase the runs. More importantly if England are on top in the field he has a massive task keeping them under control.

On Thursday Shahid Afridi lost control of the game as much as Mike Hussey won control of the game. Better captains than Collingwood and Afridi have been guilty of the same. In 2004 England lead by Michael Vaughan in the Champions Trophy had dumped the Aussies out in the semi-final and had the West Indies on their knees at 147-8 needing 218 to win. The West Indies did it without loosing another wicket. The assumption was that England had won but no matter how much they battered Bradshaw and Browne they held firm and by the end Vaughan had to turn to Alex Wharf to bowl at the death. Vaughan slowly lost control of the game and failed to think ahead.

If England find themselves on top Collingwood has to keep them there by remaining calm on the outside at least, backing his bowlers and making sure the likes of Broad, Sidebottom, Swann and KP keep calm. Radio here in England has been keen to point out how those 4 are very critical of the smallest of fielding mistakes. In a tight game they can't afford to be so critical and must stick together.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

I just read the PC article on this match and they missed out who Englands key player is. Despite the fact he averages 8 with the bat and has bowled 1 over the key man is Paul Collingwood. He is vital to England if the game goes to the wire. Should England bat second he must keep a cool head and guide his side home while those around him chase the runs. More importantly if England are on top in the field he has a massive task keeping them under control.

On Thursday Shahid Afridi lost control of the game as much as Mike Hussey won control of the game. Better captains than Collingwood and Afridi have been guilty of the same. In 2004 England lead by Michael Vaughan in the Champions Trophy had dumped the Aussies out in the semi-final and had the West Indies on their knees at 147-8 needing 218 to win. The West Indies did it without loosing another wicket. The assumption was that England had won but no matter how much they battered Bradshaw and Browne they held firm and by the end Vaughan had to turn to Alex Wharf to bowl at the death. Vaughan slowly lost control of the game and failed to think ahead.

If England find themselves on top Collingwood has to keep them there by remaining calm on the outside at least, backing his bowlers and making sure the likes of Broad, Sidebottom, Swann and KP keep calm. Radio here in England has been keen to point out how those 4 are very critical of the smallest of fielding mistakes. In a tight game they can't afford to be so critical and must stick together.

Yep, entirely agree. Collingwood is a bit of an unsung player in my opinion whoms worth is crucial for this England set-up. Yes we need him also to contribute more runs but he brings a lot of experience and dare I say "Aussie grit" to the team. As I have stated before I would rather have my side captained by Collingwood than Clarke.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Won the toss and fielding first. Very happy with that. You can't lose the game in the first 5 overs with the ball, but can lose it in the first 5 with the bat. Should be an awesome match, looking forward to it a lot.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Yep, I think bowling first is good and also puts some pressure on the Australian openers to go big early, in search of a big total. If the pitch is as good as it has been, I think I'd settle for us chasing 160.

aus_maestro

Club Cricketer
Hmm actually glad we won't be chasing again. Interested to see how the poms handle themselves in an ICC final.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I think they have negated the Hussey factor by bowling first. Once Aussie players are hot, they are very likely to repeat their feats when it matters most (the finals!)

Backing England here. KP has to perform, and I too think Collingwood is going to play a key role.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Gooone.

Big wicket; These pair are so dangerous at the beginning of the innings. Kieswetter doing his best to keep him in :p

Come on England!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
<3 Swanneh. Kieswetter would have felt it if that'd gone down. Bit of fortune for him, as that was sloppy work, but we get away with it. One of the big dangermen gone.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Very nice captain by Swann, so often you see that fall. Last chance for Clarke to do something, surely he would be dropped if he failed again.

Users who are viewing this thread