First Impressions and User Reviews - Cricket 19

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Well 10/10 when it comes to couch play with my brother with customized sliders which makes batting extremely difficult and bowling extremely fun , its like full concentration is required if you want to score runs and the best thing is its possible to score heavy runs , so 10/10 for me because never had such fun in a cricket game in my life.[DOUBLEPOST=1559729453][/DOUBLEPOST]if any one wants i can share my customized slider setting for couch play.

fezza

Club Captain
In addition to my earlier review, there appears to be a bug where new balls are not offered in first class games - I have yet to see a new ball in any first class game I have played. I have posted about this in a thread below and would be interested to know if other reviewers have the same problem?

If this is a general experience, it makes first class and Test matches practically impossible, as even the tail enders can smash balls that are 120 overs old! Even using good spinners doesn't help much. You end up with bottom order batsmen rushing to easy 50s and even 100s.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I have just received the game today, updated all the patches, downloaded Friedlele's squads and selected my preferred camera views.

There are some things that need fixed, one that's quite major, but all in all, I have to say, this is so far, easily the best of the games that I've had a first impression of in the Big Ant series of games so far.

Graphically, it's much better, it seems to play so much better in most ways. It feels like you get a much wider, more natural and real feel to the variety of ways to get wickets, nicks of the bat etc. Batting generally feels like a good challenge and you have to play fairly late (started on Pro). Options are from what I've seen so far immense, so many ways to set the game up to play. Overall I'm very impressed.

Onto the flaws.

One is a major, but I understand that Big Ant are onto this and getting ready to patch it (hopefully soon). It's actually a game breaker for those getting it. It's the catching circle not showing up. Happens to me with EVERY catch. I believe it may be caused by cameras chosen, so will have a tinker with it. I think having the great new addition (Running Camera - Broadcast 3) might be causing it the way it links to the bowling and batting Broadcast 1 cameras. The game is broken in the short term for me, unless I can find a work around (I've tried BA's suggested turning the PS4 Pro to 1080p down from UHD and that did not work).

Another flaw is that the ratings for teams do not work properly. New Zealand has come up as 90 Batting, 90 Bowling and yet 80 Overall, so something needs to be fixed. Also player ratings don't calculate very realistically. Tim Southee and Trent Boult (in Friedlele's downloaded squads) are rated extremely highly as bowlers, have strongish international level fielding and the appropriate level batting (with a few tweaks). Yet overall they're rated 79 and 78 respectively. I'd imagine any frontline bowlers from any country would end up having their overall weighted more towards their bowling and fielding and a little for batting. Those two should be around 88 and 87 with the high (95's approx) bowling stats Friedlele had given them. This may lead to people over weighting their creations to get the appropriate overall score which will affect the team's overall. Looks like it needs some tweaking by Big Ant.

Skilling players with the new bar method is not a great idea and needs to go back to numbers, which people can logically calculate a lot easier. On top of that, it's been asked for for a long time that bowlers top speed be visible when creating them, but hasn't yet come in. Please consider it.

Also, there is a bug with selecting commentary names for players. I tried to see if there was some kind of valid option for Boult and when I went to the right, it went through the A's, the B's and then back to the A's again every time. Then I tried going to the left and it went through Z, Y, X, W, V, U, T, S, R, Q, P, O, N, M and then back to the Z's again. C through to L were inaccessible.

I'm sure there's more, but these bugs do not overwhelm the huge potential this game has to be the best ever by a large margin. It may seem like I spend a long time on flaws, but that's just because they take some explaining, the quality aspects of this game don't need as much to make it clear what works. Keep up the great work on this one, Big Ant!

Gentoras

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I hope the South Africans get it a little sooner though. After two WC losses so far, they deserve a good game to play.

Make that 3 loses :(

I'm sure I can do better playing as S.A than watching them,,,,,I can't wait for this weekend, enjoy mate

mikeyd204

School Cricketer
Hi All,

So I got the game when it came out and just yesterday had time to complete my first game in the world cup. For those of you that are interested, below is the scorecard for the game + settings and sliders I used etc.

England (me) vs South Africa (computer). I lost the toss and SA opted to field. Scorecard:

England:
377 all out, 49 overs

South Africa:
174 all out, 40 overs​

Difficulty and sliders:
  • I was playing on Veteran and I had the batting and bowling sliders both set to medium.

Thoughts on the game:
  • Batting: Took a little time to get used to, I feel like you have to wait a little longer for the ball to come onto the bat, which is absolutely fine! No issues with that. I've also found it a little challenging to nail the correct footwork, but that just comes with time and practice. I also noticed a lot of top edges, I felt like they weren't as prominent in previous games.

• Bowling: I enjoyed bowling, I always felt with the pacers I was in the game and spinners were able to apply the squeeze. My issue however, and here is where I think I found a bug, not sure if anyone else could agree, but I had Buttler behind the stumps and the wicketkeeper dropped 7-8 routine thin edges. I have the fielding on semi-assisted but this was frustrating. It also only happened to the spinners. Lastly, I remember when Ashes Cricket came out, there seemed to be an issue with the bouncers having too much bounce and going for 4 wides, It's not as bad as it was in Ashes cricket, but I still got a lot of extra's that way and it was quite easy to give away extra's that way.

• Computer: I think this might have been down to not having found the right sliders just yet, but again something that has been pointed out that needs to be fixed ASAP, the lack of aggressive running in the field. The computer left SO many 1's and 2's which made for a frustrating chase.

• World Cup Mode: Just one point on this - I've downloaded the correct WC squads and if you look at the full ODI rosters, all teams have a big squad of 30+ players, however, in WC mode, you can only choose from 14-15 players. So, the West Indies ODI squad has Cottrell, Dre Russ etc. However, if you play a game with the Windies in World Cup mode, those players are not available to pick - anyone noticed that? Or have I done something wrong?

Aside from these points, I am enjoying the game! It has a fantastic feel to it and the music is much improved and the cut scenes add massively to the game itself.

rizwanahmaduk

Club Cricketer
1. That’s fixed, it was a problem that had come yesterday night and was already fixed in the morning
2. You’ll have to individually download. Get best is not the best idea.
3. Not sure what you’re referring to?

Thank u, I think it’s sorted... actually it’s a very good game, gameplay and graphics are so immersive... I’m loving it

Reactions: DAP

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
@Dutch can we move the normal discussion to General Discussion thread and leave this for first impressions only?

Karachi

Associate Captain
So, after watching few game-play videos of ''broadcast camera 3' I decided to buy the game. But even with that significant improvement in camera work I m not enjoying the game. May be its just me but it seems the game has stepped back on graphics and frame rate doesn't appear to be good either. Also when batting in broadcast camera angles if the ball hits the batsman's body and bounces away out of the view the camera doesn't follow it. The grass color in countries like Pakistan & India is way too wheatish and look very unrealistic (in the next patch please provide option to change the grass), flood lights effect is poor, commentary is unexciting, and crowd response is mediocre. Not worth the 50 pounds I spent. Presentation continues to hinder BA's cricket games and the previously revolutionary game-play is losing its charm.

May be future patches would improve the game. But for now its 6/10.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So, after watching few game-play videos of ''broadcast camera 3' I decided to buy the game. But even with that significant improvement in camera work I m not enjoying the game. May be its just me but it seems the game has stepped back on graphics and frame rate doesn't appear to be good either. Also when batting in broadcast camera angles if the ball hits the batsman's body and bounces away out of the view the camera doesn't follow it. The grass color in countries like Pakistan & India is way too wheatish and look very unrealistic (in the next patch please provide option to change the grass), flood lights effect is poor, commentary is unexciting, and crowd response is mediocre. Not worth the 50 pounds I spent. Presentation continues to hinder BA's cricket games and the previously revolutionary game-play is losing its charm.

May be future patches would improve the game. But for now its 6/10.
Haven’t seen anyone say the graphics have gone down, except you. Looks fantastic, even on my old monitor. Your ‘review’ sounds like a hit job, that’s why not bothering to reply to others. At this rate, why not just refund, if you’re so unhappy?

speletjiesvraat

School Cricketer
Bought the game on Friday (South Africa), and have now played about half of the first season in career mode.

The first thing that is immediately obvious is the improved presentation - menus; soundtrack; in-game cut scenes... are all much improved and creates an exciting atmosphere.

The batting mechanics are good and there are some new shot animations that are very easy on the eye. For me, the change in shot timing is a very welcome one. With the shots having to be played a little later, the need for premeditation and guesswork is removed, and batting feels more like a realistic simulation.
That is not to say batting is now easier, you still have to concentrate to not loose your wicket. I think there is now a correct balance with footwork, shot selection and timing all influencing the outcome and I really enjoy the challenge. Given the further customization options that the myriad sliders provide, one can really personalize one's batting experience to find that perfect "sweet spot" in the difficulty.

My career player is a batting all-rounder that bowls a bit here and there, so my exposure to the bowling aspect of the game is a bit more limited.
The bowling mechanics are fun, and it feels really rewarding to pick up a wicket, but I do wonder if bowling can't be made a little harder. It feels a bit too easy to get the ball in a preselected area. Having played cricket in school and a bit thereafter, I can still vividly remember those days where it just feels like you can't control you're line and length consistently, and that bit of panic that sets in when you start an over with two wides and have to dig deep to get through an over. There is no sense of that for me in this game.
I don't really know how that could be improved, but as an example, the MLB The Show series gets it right I think. There are some matches in which one can really loose control of your rhythm as a pitcher and it is a massive struggle to regain control.

The A.I batting seems improved and things aren't overpowered in any particular direction - they don't simply smash everything into the gaps, but they also don't seem exploitable with "cheesing" tactics or fixed "formulas". It feels like you have to bowl with a plan, and that is very pleasing.

The two big issues I have with the game, is the A.Is fielding and the A.Is running between the wickets. In the field, they simply don't have the correct urgency at all. Against pace/medium bowlers, one can simply block and run without the remotest chance of being run out. The bowler simply strolls toward the ball every time. And it is also way too easy to get 1s and even 2s with shots that go straight to fielders. This issue is exacerbated by some shoddy animations. In particular, the animations of the close-to-the-wicket throws and the animations of the players that have to catch the ball and break the stumps. It just takes way to long and doesn't seem as smooth and polished as the rest of the game play and animations.
Then when it is the A.Is turn to make runs, they simply leave way to many easy singles and 2s out there. These two issues aren't deal breakers, but definitely hinders the immersion and I can see how this could be very annoying for someone who plans on playing game modes where you control the whole team for an entire game. Fortunately, in my preferred mode (career mode) it has a less pronounced influence on the enjoyment of the game.

The stats tracking in career mode is accurate so far, and I am pleased that this important aspect is working correctly.

I have yet to dabble in all the other game modes and the many things on offer in the academy, but there seems like there are heaps and heaps of things to do, so this game can really keep a cricket fan busy for a long while.

I wouldn't try and put a number on it, because honestly, with a game like this, one would have to score it differently as a standalone sport game, as apposed to a cricket game in relation to other cricket games...

It is definitely the best cricket game I have ever played, and I can see myself getting many hours of enjoyment out of it. I am truly greatful for what Big Ant have done for cricket game fans and what they are continuing to do.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
I have been playing this game since day 1.. Have been wanting to post my impressions but just wanted to play enough hours before jumping to half baked conclusions. First things first..My initial impressions have been really positive.. After DBC 17 and Ashes I was pretty skeptical about this one.. But I am glad the way this game has turned out.. Not to say that it has no issues but in general it strikes the right cords..

The Menus, the music, the overall presentation is way way better then previous games..Comparing to ashes faded look in-game, the vibrant colours of this one are a big thumbs up... Just love the opening sequence of a match with national anthems and what not..Superrr... Gave me goosebumps... The cut-scenes in-game and the drinks break is so bloody cool...just adds to the immersion..

Have been playing mostly world cups..Not started my career yet.. waiting for all the rosters and uniforms to be completed... Kudos to the fantastic work by the community specifically @Llewelynf ... The game looks altogether different with these brilliantly made kits...

In terms of batting, i wouldnt say that it is very different from ashes (but so much better)... The heart is the same but there have been subtle changes in it... The batting looks more balanced.. i felt batting was pretty easy on ashes and especially six hitting was a joke... this one is more difficult and rewarding... they seem to have delayed the perfect timing window which really works well... The AI is much smarter and bowl good lines & lengths (barring round the wicket..this really needs to be looked into) and even set up better fields...Though sometimes they change it every delivery which gets a tad annoying.. But better nonetheless.. some of the backfoot shots look absolutely gorgeous...after dbc 14 finally backfoot shots are a thing...I am glad post patch they have added backfoot glance (without any triggers) which seemed to be missing... i guess we need to thank @cricket_online for this... also I am glad that the overpowered sweeps from the ashes have been toned down..Even getting a variety of edges... top edges to bouncers, bat face closing early kinda edges (but these never carry) and even while reverse sweeping spinners... its pretty awesome... DBC 17 was pretty poor in terms to areas accessible while batting, ashes was better, this one is the best..if you choose the right delivery, you can practically hit the ball to all parts of the ground..running between the wickets is passable.. its not the best but not bad... AI fielding has improved post patch but it needs to get sharper in stopping singles.. there seems to be a big disconnect in their running speeds while trying to chase a ball (they look lethargic) and while trying to catch a ball (they are tooo quick)....I must say I am a tad disappointed with AI fielding... I expected much better.. Maybe they improve it through patches... i hope so... Also, the amount of customization is insane.. you can practically make your own game..

There are few other grey areas which need improving...Straight drives... i think they need more power (generally square of the wicket shots have much more power then straighter shots..this has been the case since ashes) and they should not go in the air anytime they are not perfectly timed (initially i felt it was better post patch but its not)...Also, aggressive grounded shots in the straight V go in the air almost every time even if perfectly timed... Like i mentioned earlier, round the wicket lines need lot of improvement.. right arm round the wicket to left hander (and vice-versa) lines are similar to right hander lines.. Also, many a times leg side power shot results in umpire calling bouncer or even no-ball... this is extremely annoying... Some not so major issues include (mostly carrying over from ashes), batsman unable to run a single after ball hits stumps, sometimes batsman grounding the bat after crossing the line, sometimes ball going through the bat, AI changing fields during Free Hit even for striker batsman, some DRS issues...

One major issue for 2 player i personally felt was the fielding 1 camera.. in ashes it was perfect... they have completely changed it in this one... i sincerely request to add the fielding 1 camera of ashes @MattW ... In ashes the fielding 1 camera sorto gave a zoomed out view from behind batsman... in this one it sorto rotates from the batsman's view...it gets extremely difficult when u play behind the wicket... i dont know if am making any sense.. i am attaching videos for reference..

Users who are viewing this thread