FOOTBALL Football Manager Discussion

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Was 1 -0 down at Stoke with Newcastle and made all 3 substitutions in the 58th minute, within 10 minutes I was down to 8 men as 3 guys had to go off injured! Somehow I still managed to only lose 1-0.

----------

Doesn't help that I'm in the middle of a period where I have to play 5 games in 11 days. Ridiculous.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Furthermore, the youngster I have been waiting for 2 years to come and join after turning 18, has arrived with a 4 month injury. Just got no luck at the moment.

D

Deleted member 13648

Bought this yesterday - I did have a... ahem, 'version' of the game beforehand but I wanted the Winter transfer update & I couldn't 'obtain' the patch anywhere. :D

Regardless, I've started as Newcastle as I always do. I had honestly forgotten how addictive this game is, foolishly. I'm a couple more press conferences away from throwing on my suit & taking it even more seriously.
Usually when I play FM I just download a tactic that is known to win the majority of the time but I've decided to make my own this time & it is really doing well, to my surprise.
First off, I needed a bit more strength in the centre of midfield as although the starting midfield at Newcastle is top quality, (Cabaye, Tiot? and to a lesser extent Danny Guthrie), there's not much offered in the squad for much impact off the bench/in the event of injuries.
So, being trusted with a budget of ?10m assuring I secure a top half finish, say hello to the newest arrivals on Tyneside.

newcastletransfershisto.png

Cairney/Petrucci are very much ones for the future. Cairney has made appearances in cup games for us this season & done well but he's not going to break into a regular Starting XI for some time.
N'Zonzi has solidified his place in the line-up with performances in the past few games. Fans were sceptical when he first arrived but he's played well enough to silence those doubters thus far, which has pleased me.

It's not been all straight forward in terms of transfers though. It's mid-November in the first season right now & I'm worried I've f**ked up here. M'Vila became available for ?12.5m. He's an absolute animal in midfield on FM & I always look to sign him in my games. This opportunity came up around the same time PSG, Inter & Napoli, (as well as Liverpool & Aston Villa but I don't tend to sell to teams in my league), were sniffing around Cheick Tiot?; tempting me with offers of ?10-12m. I took up Stade Rennais' offer & approached M'Vila, whilst accepting offers for Tiot?.

Tiot? was very happy with the offer from PSG & I'd put ?51,000 p/w on the table for M'Vila to mull over. This all was going on during an International break so I was anxiously continuing the game awaiting news M'Vila had joined the Geordie Revolution. Unfortunately, he decided to take a contract offer from FC Porto.

This left me no option but to pull the plug on all deals concerning Tiot?'s move away. And boy, he wasn't happy. He wanted a private chat with me...

stuartcullingtonnewsinb.png

Uh-oh.

He's now considering his options in the short-term but hopefully we can convince him to stay. It shouldn't take too much, especially when he looks at the league table.

englishpremierleagueove.png

:D

And I sh*t you not; this is without the ol' save/reload tactic. Believe me, I'd have done it by now in a few of these games. Notably being 2-0 up at the Etihad Stadium & losing 4-3...

Regardless, we've got some tough fixtures coming up that we'll need to get good results out of to keep right in the thick of things.

I've missed you FM, old friend...

D

Deleted member 13648

Me again.

10 games left in my first season & I'm very nicely placed so far. Since my last post I did have a dip in form & tough games came thick & fast. I've had Papiss Ciss? & Demba Ba out injured long-term, Tiote has been away for the Africa Cup of Nations and other players just seemed to go off the boil.
Though looking back on my fixtures my loses have all come away from home, (Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves & Arsenal).
Something that's worried me is that when I've lost games they have been quite heavy losses. All three games against Chelsea, Utd & Arsenal were 3-0s and the loss to Wolves was a stupid 2-0. Since my last last loss to Arsenal I've managed to get players back to fitness & the wins are back.

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

englishpremierleagueove.png

We've also managed to make the most of relatively straight-forward cup ties, (drew Cardiff at home in both competitions & won 5-0/6-1 :lol). Met Swansea in the Carling Cup semis & won the 1st leg at home 2-1. Went back to Wales and things were back level going into ET. The 119th minute saw Ciss? head in from a corner & Newcastle finally had another day out at Wembley to meet...

League One side, AFC Bournemouth. :D

newcastlevbournemouthin.png

It's my first trophy and European football back on Tyneside. But I'm aiming higher.
I want Champions League football.

D

Deleted member 13648

Just gonna copy & paste this post from Evo-Web :)

Season Review 2013/14:

Finished 2nd in the Premier League again - 4 points behind winners Man City (Lost the penultimate game 3-1 at the Etihad to give them the title :()
FA Cup finalists (Got absolutely destroyed at Wembley 4-0 by Man Utd; disappointing as we'd finished 18 points above them in the League)

But...

newcastlevmanutdinforma.png

NEWCASTLE UNITED - CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 2013/14

:D

It's pre-season for 2014/15, (and having been given a transfer budget of ?53.5m by the club's new owners who tookover last season), I've made some quality signings.

Ins:
Diego God?n - ?8.5m from Atl?tico Madrid
Kyriakos Papadopoulos - ?13.25m from Schalke
Marko Marin - ?7.5m from Werder Bremen

Outs:
Shola Ameobi - Released (:()
Davide Petrucci - Released
Dan Gosling - Released
Yven Moyo - Released
Sylvain Marveaux - Loan to West Ham ?875k
Urby Emanuelson - Loan to Real Sociedad ?2.6m

Now though, I've got this in my inbox...

stuartcullingtonnewsinb.png

D

Deleted member 13648

Haha, I have! I'm not even contemplating leaving Newcastle until I've won the Premier League with them.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Code:
Season    Team         Nation     League                Position    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Thurrock     England    Blue Square South     --          Sacked in March
2010/11   Fano         Italy      Serie C2/B            7th         Joined in March
2011/12   Fano         Italy      Serie C2/B            8th
2012/13   Fano         Italy      Serie C2/B            2nd         Promoted via Play-offs
2013/14   Fano         Italy      Serie C1/A            16th        Survived via Play-out
2014/15   Fano         Italy      Serie C1/A            6th         Missed out on Play-offs on final day, Left at end of the season
2015/16   Bradford     England    League 2              6th         Joined in December, lost in Play-off SF
2016/17   Bradford     England    League 2              1st         Promoted as Champions
2017/18   Bradford     England    League 1              5th         Promoted via Play-offs
2018/19   HJK          Finland    Premier League        1st         League Champions, Finnish Cup Champions
2019/20   HJK          Finland    Premier League        3rd         Joined River Plate at the end of the season
2019/20   River Plate  Argentina  Premier League        3rd
2020/21   River Plate  Argentina  Premier League        5th         Sacked at the start of the closing stage
2020/21   Hull         England    Championship          18th        Joined in February, kept them up
2021/22   Hull         England    Championship          --          Left to join Swansea in October
2021/22   Swansea      England    Championship          13th        Went unbeaten final 11 games of the season

Decided to get back into my massive FM11 journeyman save. Had a bit of a lull over the past few seasons, hoping for a promotion challenge with Swansea in 2022/23 after a brilliant end to the previous season.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
sigh. beginning to click in my everton save, got to my first cup final in the 2nd season (only the league cup) after beating liverpool on penalties at anfield in the quarter finals (fellaini sent off after 20 minutes. then parked the bus for a 0-0) and my laptop charger breaks. have to wait another 2-3 days to play the final....

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
2-3 days??? Oh well, still 23 years before you'll get to watch them in one :p

Anyone who has the game....

I'll ask once more...

Do Liverpool have a youth keeper called Jamie Stephens in the game?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Cool, sign him up anyway. He's an awesome lad :) There's a few C Stephens B Greig in the scorebook of the cricket club I played for in Bristol :D

Users who are viewing this thread