Football Super League announced

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
It's not really about the fans, it's businesses wanting to have all the money and do as little as possible for that. It's for clubs that have won the money game and want more of it. Certainly nothing to do with merit on the field otherwise a team that has won one League Cup in the last 30 years wouldn't be considered a 'big six' team.

I do wonder how likely it is teams will be kicked out. Premier League has apparently said that but I think it might require a vote - where 14 teams have to vote in favour. So that would mean every team would have to vote against the others. I don't know if all owners would be willing to do that considering the short term harm it'd do. Not to mention the lure of one day being graciously offered a place at the trough, even if it's just one season.
Oh I agree it's not about the fans. I was just saying that it was a positive knock-on effect, with all the talk of the negatives pointing a positive out was in my opinion worthwhile.

As for the vote, I don't know. The thing is if it's 13-1, the 1 will be leaked (it's 2021, come on) and they will be considered Judas, which will kill their PR. So it's either going to be 14-0 or much closer to half and half.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These clubs can sod off for all I care. Shall stop supporting Spurs if they go through with this and I don't see them in decent light anymore.

Wish they get points deducted this season and are kicked out of the UCL now. They deserve far worse but it would be a start.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
These clubs can sod off for all I care. Shall stop supporting Spurs if they go through with this and I don't see them in decent light anymore.

Wish they get points deducted this season and are kicked out of the UCL now. They deserve far worse but it would be a start.
QPR

also I heard that the UCL thing is likely but again no reliable source

wasbir2000

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
ICC (already a toothless body) along with prominient boards should plan ahead to safeguard cricket mainly test format from a possible future franchise rebellion. It had happened in the past in cricket but with the franchises getting richer by the day the next one will be a toe crusher.

Bevab

Staff Member
The first wrong step was supporting them.

I don't see it any different than premier league breaking with Fifa and likewise things

The EPL broke away under different circumstances in a much different climate though. It wasn't global either, it was just from the FA. And as Dale says, it wasn't a closed shop either. Promotion and relegation still worked.

At the very least, this is the biggest change in football history that I can think of in a long long time. And it's pretty ironic that Fifa lashes out against this considering their very own model for an African Super League.

Sami Kumar

Zananiya da Cheetah
PAK...
The Boys
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
The prem won’t be fun. I mean how do you explain this to Sunderland fans that won’t get to see Newcastle get hammered by the top dogs (sorry Tottenham and Arsenal). The cheesy chips on gravy won’t taste like it, the pints upon pints won’t fix this. Good thing is, We’ll hopefully climb back up into the league to do it on our own just like the olden times. Ecstasy for the Gerodies, but rather short lived

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
The EPL broke away under different circumstances in a much different climate though. It wasn't global either, it was just from the FA. And as Dale says, it wasn't a closed shop either. Promotion and relegation still worked.

At the very least, this is the biggest change in football history that I can think of in a long long time. And it's pretty ironic that Fifa lashes out against this considering their very own model for an African Super League.
It's not the 90s anymore, the world is not the same.
Football will survive.

Bevab

Staff Member
It's not the 90s anymore, the world is not the same.
Football will survive.

It would (the Bundesliga for instance), but would you really call what just left 'football?'. The fundamental sport obviously remains the same and it has been already turned from a game of the masses to a polished and commercialized one behind the scenes but this is pretty much the official, 'gone too far' step that signifies it.

The ESL runs against everything that football is supposed stand for. And I like the fact that even in this day and age, we get stories like Leicester winning the Premier League, Atletico Madrid turning it around and winning multiple trophies whilst establishing themselves as a powerhouse and Dortmund reinvent themselves as a contender.

But then the ESL? It's a closed cabal of clubs that is supposed to be 'elite' and the way the President spoke of it, they're considering the founding fifteen members as untouchable while the likes of Napoli and Roma (two very big clubs in their own rights) get to make guest appearances on a rotational basis per season. You only need to hear his interview to know how fallacious the entire idea is. It is apparently supposed to 'save football and save the small guy' but at the same time apparently no one 'wants' to watch the underdog take on the bigger club.

The only point of this entire concept is to turn hundreds of millions into a couple of billions in revenue and it is very thinly disguised. To this end, they're pretty much willing to make everything that previously helped them get where they are redundant and make enemies out of everyone else. You only need to look at how many dissenting voices are there to know what a terrible idea is.
Post automatically merged:

The prem won’t be fun. I mean how do you explain this to Sunderland fans that won’t get to see Newcastle get hammered by the top dogs (sorry Tottenham and Arsenal). The cheesy chips on gravy won’t taste like it, the pints upon pints won’t fix this. Good thing is, We’ll hopefully climb back up into the league to do it on our own just like the olden times. Ecstasy for the Gerodies, but rather short lived

I doubt the Geordies need the top clubs to hammer them, pretty much everyone seems to stand a fair chance these days. :D

Users who are viewing this thread