Gautam Gambhir vs Virender Sehwag

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I personally think this is a very good comparison. What do you guys think?

I'm leaning towards Gambhir for consistency but it's hard to look past Sehwag for his unparalleled destructive ability when he does get going. Also, Gambhir is untested outside the subcontinent as far as tests go.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The best guy to watch (probably right now in the world) - VIRENDER SEHWAG

The guy that I can rely upon - GAUTAM GAMBHIR

Yes, this is a really tough pick and a great comparison. For Indian fans, its like picking between their two eyes.:D

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Gambhir's been a little inconsistent himself lately. I really can't pick one here =/

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Very tough comparison here, it's almost like picking between Dravid and Sachin in tests. At the moment I'd probably be leaning towards Gautam for his good consistency and reliability with the bat while Viru has been very destructive with the bat in all forms of the game, he hasn't been as consistent as Gautam.

To be honest I'd take Gautam in tests and Viru in ODI's.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
This is stupid beyond stupid.

One has played 27 tests and scores at a strike rate of 53 while the other has played 72 and scores at 80.

Despite their similar averages, they are very different players, and they're also each others batting partners.

Plus Gambhir hasn't done anything notable to date, while Sehwag has played some of this decade's greatest knocks.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

One has played 27 tests and scores at a strike rate of 53 while the other has played 72 and scores at 80.

Despite their similar averages, they are very different players, and they're also each others batting partners.

Plus Gambhir hasn't done anything notable to date, while Sehwag has played some of this decade's greatest knocks.

There have been 3 people who have said that they'd take Gambhir... There goes your point.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
dumb thread.

they are powerful together, while Sehwag makes GG a better player. Sehwag is a beast, on the other hand GG...well he has lot to learn from Sehwag.

if they played for 2 different teams, and you had to pick one of them, i am sure every 1 will want Sehwag, for test, ODI, T20.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
dumb thread.

they are powerful together, while Sehwag makes GG a better player. Sehwag is a beast, on the other hand GG...well he has lot to learn from Sehwag.

if they played for 2 different teams, and you had to pick one of them, i am sure every 1 will want Sehwag, for test, ODI, T20.

I'm sorry I could not meet the incredibly high standards of Bowling Team :laugh.

If you look above, you can clearly see that everyone does not want Sehwag for tests, ODIs and T20.

Gambhir- Saisrini, TumTum, HarishanV (Tests only)
Sehwag- Gazza, MacLovin, HarishanV (ODIs only)
Undecided- Params7

Harishan

Club Cricketer

I understand where you're coming from Gaz, but Gambhir has really flourished into a world class batsman over the last two years and he has been a true blessing for India when we were in need of another good opening batsman to partner Sehwag. His consistency has been very good and he is a very reliable batsman.

Gambhir has played quite a few knocks where he has been required to bat for a long period of time which he has done superbly. Sehwag does have a very good record and has played some outsanding innings but he has lacked consistency while Gambhir has been one of our most consistent batsmen over the last two years.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Just to add onto what Harishan said. You have to look past the numbers sometimes and recognize that while it's impossible to predict the future, there's a very good chance that Gambhir will go onto become a very successful batsman both in and outside the subcontinent. There's every indication of it going by the last 2 years.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
^^^ For starters, he's won the WORLD TEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR award :clap

And the most consistent Test cricketer since the past 1.5yrs. No batsmen in the world has been able to match his consistency, apart from, maybe Mohammad Yousuf

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
What has Gambhir done?

- Number 1 test batsman in the world
- Was the leading scorer in his first test series outside the subcontinent with 445 runs in 3 tests
- Match-saving innings at Napier
- Scores a century every 3.4 tests
- In his last 25 innings he has 7 centuries and 7 fifties at an average of 77 and only 1 single digit score
- CB series
- 75 in T20 WC final against arch-rivals Pakistan
- Highest run getter in Border-Gavaskar series while playing only 3 of the 4 tests in the series
- World test player of the year 2009
- Part of the World Test XI 2009

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Well.....yeah.....he's done alright :laugh

But compared to Sehwag he's not done much. And he hasn't really played quality opposition, except the Aussies.

Users who are viewing this thread