General Cricket Discussion

GPS12345

School Cricketer
@NilayShah60,See , Virat stated at toss that they are up for a challenge, given that most of them tried their best,they failed. I am not being pessimistic, but, if an average batsman like jadeja can bag a half-century, then it is possible for the others too. Yeah, anyway u hv a point tho. It's jus a practice match.:clap:thumbs:wave

C Boomer

Club Captain
Very poor batting display by Pakistan in the first game of the World Cup against West Indies parallels with 1992

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Mitzy

School Cricketer
I wonder if anyone can settle an argument between myself and a friend about a fair catch. If Ben Stokes had taken the Ball in the air ,as happened, and upon landing had the ball face down in contact with the ground but still holding the ball would this constitute a fair catch?

D

Deleted member 193590

Here's the rules for a fair catch,if you look at rule c you'll get your answer.

. A fair catch

A catch shall be considered to have been fairly made if(a) throughout the act of making the catch(i) any fielder in contact with the ball is within the field of play. See 4 below.(ii) the ball is at no time in contact with any object grounded beyond the boundary.The act of making the catch shall start from the time when the ball in flight comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person other than a protective helmet, and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement.(b) the ball is hugged to the body of the catcher or accidentally lodges in his clothing or, in the case of the wicket-keeper only, in his pads. However, it is not a fair catch if the ball lodges in a protective helmet worn by a fielder. See Law 23 (Dead ball).(c) the ball does not touch the ground even though the hand holding it does so in effecting the catch.(d) a fielder catches the ball after it has been lawfully struck more than once by the striker, but only if it has not been grounded since first being struck.(e) a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the other batsman.However, it is not a fair catch if the ball has previously touched a protective helmet worn by a fielder. The ball will then remain in play.(f) a fielder catches the ball in the air after it has crossed the boundary provided that(i) he has no part of his person touching or grounded beyond the boundary at any time while he is contact with the ball.(ii) the ball has not been grounded beyond the boundary. See Law 19.3 (Scoring a boundary).Note also Law 19.4 (Ball beyond the boundary)(g) the ball is caught off an obstruction within the boundary provided the obstruction had not been designated a boundary by the umpires before the toss

C Boomer

Club Captain
I wonder if anyone can settle an argument between myself and a friend about a fair catch. If Ben Stokes had taken the Ball in the air ,as happened, and upon landing had the ball face down in contact with the ground but still holding the ball would this constitute a fair catch?

Even if the fielders hand touches ground, still Out... As long as the ball does not make contact with the ground!

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yep pretty it's true, I believe BCCI is ruining cricket, I was really disappointed that the world cup is now only 10 teams instead of 14 like last world cup in 2015 but overall it was a funny show.

Pretty sure that it was the ECB and not BCCI that was pushing for the current format of the World Cup.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pretty sure that it was the ECB and not BCCI that was pushing for the current format of the World Cup.
BCCI is pretty in charge of cricket now and have all the say because they got all the money now, BCCI could have said no and demanded a 14 team world cup.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
BCCI is pretty in charge of cricket now and have all the say because they got all the money now, BCCI could have no and demanded a 14 team world cup.

Since the collapse of 'the Big Three', BCCI has actually lost a lot of power. The video, while funny is taking a lot of liberties to simplify a very complex issue. This is not a one line problem that can be blamed on one party only. He goes on to mock Test cricket in the beginning of his video and showers praise on the T20 format as being exciting and more watchable. Well, the T20 World Cup has had 4 more participants in the last two world cups - from 12 to 16. But somehow he conveniently shifts the target to ODI World Cup. Even with the top 10 teams, the world cup so far has been boring - surely the solution cannot be adding more one sided games? Plus as mentioned above, this decision to trim down the world cup was as much a responsibility of ECB and CA as BCCI.

Exaggeration is the key to comedy and this video does that very well (the host could have been a bit less hyper though). Whats with the sudden jumps - that was awful to watch

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Anybody heard DJ Bravo's song Asia?

Users who are viewing this thread