General Cricket Discussion

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
West Indies complete an absolute spanking of Australia.
Our national team has the same problem as the Heat had for years- a top 5 of hitters fails more times than it works. Need some national team level players who can slow down and play an innings properly. Wells losing his form doesn't help- coming into last BBL, he was my pick for that job. Now it's... Jordan Silk? Cameron Bancroft?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Our national team has the same problem as the Heat had for years- a top 5 of hitters fails more times than it works. Need some national team level players who can slow down and play an innings properly. Wells losing his form doesn't help- coming into last BBL, he was my pick for that job. Now it's... Jordan Silk? Cameron Bancroft?
They've have made decent starts. Marsh has had two 50's. The struggle has been kicking on against the West Indies death bowling and spinners.

Allen and Walsh have bowled 23 overs, 11 wickets for 142 runs
Agar and Zampa have bowled 17 overs, 1 wicket for 149 runs

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
They've have made decent starts. Marsh has had two 50's. The struggle has been kicking on against the West Indies death bowling and spinners.

Allen and Walsh have bowled 23 overs, 11 wickets for 142 runs
Agar and Zampa have bowled 17 overs, 1 wicket for 149 runs
That's true too. It's that middle order that I think lets us down. As for the spinners, Agar missed the entire BBL and Zampa was a bit ordinary.

I don't often think Shane Warne is right as a human being, and maybe I'm biased having once played for the same club as him, but can the selectors please give Mitch Swepson a go soon?

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If anyone wants to say anything further about Dhoni then go ahead and create another thread on this forum(I wouldn't want to have such a thing on this forum tbh) or create a troll page or a fan page about him on social media. This is a General Cricket Discussion thread and not a Dhoni thread!!!
MS Dhoni- The Captain thread incoming? 200 matches to cover would be quite a feat though if you ever decided to do that lol.

Last edited:

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Australia need to stop picking primarily top order players for middle order roles, it just causes confusion in their camp and put players in batting positions which they're not accustomed to. I didn't see the point of promoting Marsh to 3 in the WI series, instead Aus should have given him a chance to make 5/6 his own position, and let Henriques or Phillippe a chance at 3. It looks like they'll need Smith at 3 which their collapses and a stable hand to guide them through their innings on the slower UAE tracks. I see absolutely no point in Phillipe given a "middle order role" when you know he's not accustomed to batting down the order. At best, he should be a back-up to Warner and Finch at the top.

An interesting ploy would be to have Wade at 3 to play the role Moeen Ali played at CSK by scoring at a fast rate in the middle overs and play Smith at 4 to control the innings. I'd rather go for a batting order of:

Warner
Finch
Wade
Smith
Maxwell
Marsh/Stoinis
Cummins
Agar
Zampa
Starc
Hazlewood

If Smith isn't gonna play the WT20, then bring up everyone below him up one position, play either Christian and Sams and drop either Starc or Hazlewood for Swepson if it's a turner.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Australia need to stop picking primarily top order players for middle order roles, it just causes confusion in their camp and put players in batting positions which they're not accustomed to. I didn't see the point of promoting Marsh to 3 in the WI series, instead Aus should have given him a chance to make 5/6 his own position, and let Henriques or Phillippe a chance at 3. It looks like they'll need Smith at 3 which their collapses and a stable hand to guide them through their innings on the slower UAE tracks. I see absolutely no point in Phillipe given a "middle order role" when you know he's not accustomed to batting down the order. At best, he should be a back-up to Warner and Finch at the top.

An interesting ploy would be to have Wade at 3 to play the role Moeen Ali played at CSK by scoring at a fast rate in the middle overs and play Smith at 4 to control the innings. I'd rather go for a batting order of:

Warner
Finch
Wade
Smith
Maxwell
Marsh/Stoinis
Cummins
Agar
Zampa
Starc
Hazlewood

If Smith isn't gonna play the WT20, then bring up everyone below him up one position, play either Christian and Sams and drop either Starc or Hazlewood for Swepson if it's a turner.
Annoyingly Marsh happened to be our best player.

The problem is, all of our best domestic players are openers or No. 3s. Warner, Finch, Wade, Stoinis, Philippe, Lynn, Carey, Short and S Marsh all play there domestically. That said, the Power Surge rule in the BBL may be very beneficial regarding this, with the likes of Jordan Silk upping their output significantly due to that rule.

Another interesting path would be bringing in Ashton Turner at 7, who impressed being bunted down to No.6 by the Scorchers' new and all-international top three.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Very poor finish by Little in that final over. Bowled literally every ball in the slot to Miller.

Users who are viewing this thread