Google launches the Nexus One phone

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Tec22-01.jpg

California: Google has unveiled its new Nexus One smartphone on Tuesday, the culmination of collaboration with HTC.

“I think you will see it pushes the limits of what’s possible on a phone,” HTC chief executive Peter Chou said as the smartphone debuted at Google headquarters in California, US.

“It is very thin and feels good in your hand.”

Nexus One handsets are no thicker than pencils and no heavier than keychain Swiss Army knives, Google engineer Erick Tseng said while demonstrating one of the smartphones.

“It is a great marriage of form and function,” Tseng said.

Tec22-01a.jpg

'Peter Chou, CEO of HTC, holds the phone during the launch'

The handsets feature new speech command capabilities that allow users to speak emails, text messages or Internet search queries. It can provide turn-by-turn spoken driving directions from a Google mapping program. The phone will be sold online in the US for $529 (Rs 24,000 approx) unlocked, without ties to a telecom carrier.

The phone as of now will only be available to buyers in Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain and the United States.

As far as India was concerned local representatives for Google refused to comment on the timeline, but said it would make an appearance in India for sure.

Like iPhones, Nexus One devices feature “accelerometer” capabilities allowing images or games on handsets to be controlled with twists or turns.

Google also has an online Android Marketplace stocked with about 20,000 functional or hip applications for phones running their software. But with a far greater stockpile of apps, Apple’s online store is considered among the reasons iPhones have become popular.

“We see no signs of the competition catching up any time soon,” Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said in a statement.

Source: Google launches the Nexus One phone, as usual India might have to wait a while, Tech - TechTalk - Mumbai Mirror

http://www.google.com/phone/

We have to wait :(

Last edited:

KBC

Panel of Selectors
It's a cool phone, maybe google fans will root for it, and looks like it's gonna spread a cool lot.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Good that its not connected with any provider. But will wait for the price to come down a bit and see the reviews. I need a new phone and a really cool one.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I had the chance to play with one recently. It's a decent phone. The camera blows the iPhone out of the universe. The screen feels a lot more pleasant (it's AMOLED). It was still a bit laggy. And it's not going to be on AT&T 3G networks, in the US.

All in all it was a pretty cool phone--but it did crash a couple of times over the 4 days that I was around it. So not entirely stable (this was of course a development edition, so I'm sure the retail edition is more stable). It's lighter than the iPhone and the coolest part is that the little buttons on the front screen vibrate when you push them. :) Okay, not the coolest part, but it's nice to get that physical feedback that you have actually pressed a button.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Oh man, I want one so bad :D. It's on T-Mobile for the subsidized price of 179$, but for some reason i'm not allowed to upgrade with my family-plan. :(

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
News

Google Inc's new Nexus One smartphone, which retails for $529 without a service plan, is built from components that cost about $174, according to a research report.

But analysts said the big gap between the components' costs and the phone's price tag did not necessarily mean the Internet giant was making a hefty profit, since the retail price includes expenses such as licensing fees and marketing costs.

Google Nexus One phone parts cost $174: iSuppli | Reuters

Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

Thinking to have this one, but 24k is too much for me to afford :-/

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I hear its battery life will give Nokia 6300 run for its money :p

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
It is 34k in India.

Too costly.

Its a beta phone by Google. Better to wait till year.

One good thing about this phone is that its a blessing in disguise for people like me have business emails set up on Google Apps.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So whats the go with the problems that the Nexus One phone has been experiencing already? To be honest its not a good image or a start when compared to the release of the Apple iPhone.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
So whats the go with the problems that the Nexus One phone has been experiencing already? To be honest its not a good image or a start when compared to the release of the Apple iPhone.
The iPhone was revolutionary, hence every touch phone from hereon will be speculated as an iPhone killer and then be broken down as being a massive failure for not being an iPhone killer.

Users who are viewing this thread