Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Breaking News: Sri Lanka have ordered a new Champions Trophy Kit to cut down on excessive appealing fines...

attachment.php

Attachments

• SriLanka-ChampionsTrophyKit.png
    SriLanka-ChampionsTrophyKit.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 259

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Warner out of this match and possibly tournament. Hopefully Maxwell is given a punt at opener again.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Maxwell in for Warner
Doherty in for Starc

Australia won the toss and elected to bat first

Doherty: I am looking forward to see how he perform in this match

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What is all this Warner controversy? I seem to have missed it

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
have these two ever played before and NZ been the favourites before the match? (well, dunno what the bookies are saying but I certainly fancy NZ to win this)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Aus was still favourites at the bookies in NZ.
Don't know why they opened with Wade, we need someone to get us off to a quick start.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I hope they don't send Warner home, Australian batting looks really weak without him.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Nah, Warner hasn't performed in ages. Give him a rest. Get him riled up for the Ashes.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Irrespective of what happens tonight if we beat England we'll finish top of the table, but I think if the Poms win tonight it will give us a bit more of a buffer in terms of our chances of qualifying if we lose to them.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia

Owzat

International Coach
I hate rain :(

What I hate is they have weather forecasts and yet you end with one side batting their allocation and the other coming up short. The other night was it 15 overs, just five short, yet 65 (?) bowled in the match which is 25 more than is needed for a result.......................

England came up short yesterday, despite much made of the highest chase in a day-nighter at the ground - like they've played hundreds of day-nighters. England just didn't pick up enough wickets to control the innings, that was the major factor.

Sri Lanka were 119/2 after 25 overs, lost just one more wicket in adding 168 runs in 22.1 more overs, a run rate of near 8 an over without losing (lots of) wickets. The 'grand plan' of the fifth bowler conceded only 60 runs off nine overs, not too bad but 60 runs without a wicket. With Broad and Bresnan both toothless and quite expensive as well, it was a stroll for Sri Lanka.

After 20 overs England were 85/1, hard to be critical of the strike rates of anyone bar the opening pair, both making 20+ and yet neither at a rate above 70 per hundred balls.

Fair play to the Sri Lankans, they paced their chase very well indeed. Good knock from Sangakkara which won the match, that and England's lack of 'teeth'.

On the halfway doubling 'rule', England were 146/2 after 30, Sri Lanka 150/2 so England were within one run of doubling their 30 over total and Sri Lanka would have comfortably more than doubled it had they batted their full 50.

England I guess need to win their last game, I think they're handicapping themselves with their fifth bowler and picking Buttler as keeper. He's averaging just 12.75, even if his SR is a ridiculous 134.21, 13 runs off 10 balls isn't going to win many matches. That's five scores of 0-3 in nine innings, two of 14 and only one of any substance.

Buttler needs to score runs when England need him to, not when a situation suits him. So far he's scored

0 off 2 balls, came in at 249/4 (45.3 overs)
1 off 2 balls, came in at 212/5 (42.5 overs)

47no off 16 balls, came in 210/5 (45.5 overs)
2 off 5 balls, came in 166/4 (29.2 overs)
14 off 25 balls, came in 124/4 (28.3 overs)

3 off 4 balls, came in 168/4 (32.3 overs)
DNB
21 off 13 balls, came in 190/4 (40.1 overs)

DNB
14 off 9 balls, came in 220/5 (45.5 overs)

0 off 2 balls, came in 68/3 (15.4 overs)

Three times he's come in post 40 overs, twice making big/half decent scores given the overs left, so I'm not sure a lack of time to play himself in is much of an excuse since he's not need it three times. If he has any batting ability whatsoever he should be able to average 20, perhaps needs to throttle back a little bit and not chase runs at a run a ball all the time.

When he's had time to play himself in, as early as the 16th over up to the 33rd over he's scored a whopping 19 runs in four innings at 4.75 average and SR of 52.78. If he needs to come in at certain situations/positions then I think he's out of luck, and likely out of the side. England don't do flexible, they are mostly rigid in their batting order, and they can't build their innings around when Buttler is happiest coming in on the offchance that brings lots of quick runs.

I think England have to turn to Bairstow, I know it's an "effective swap" of an accumulator for a "dynamic" batsman, but I'd take an average near double for a brief cameo every now and then that one in nine innings makes some kind of difference. Or just bring in that fifth bowler for Buttler and give the gloves to Morgan.

We desperately need to find an all-rounder. That isn't Bopara, Woakes, Yardy, Wright, and probably not Patel - either not good enough to bat seven or not good enough as a wicket taker/5th bowler. Whatever happened to Ben Stokes? Sure I saw his name come up the other day on BBC. We can't be completely lacking in all-rounders in the county game, surely not?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It's a management issue. At the moment we have a top 4 (especially opening pair) who want to bat for as long as possible, leaving very little time for anyone else. In the Sri Lanka game, we lost our 3rd wicket, with what? 8 overs left? Without getting into how that's wasting Morgan, if we're going to bat that slowly, why do we need 7 batsmen? To cater for the collapse? Perhaps, but that shouldn't happen if batsmen are going to be that cautious.

In short, if we're going to pick a batting line up that wants to bat for a long time each, we should be able to pick 5 bowlers. If only we had a world class bowler who is high in the official rankings. Oh wait, we do, we just don't play him. We're not going to win this tournament failing to score 300 and then trying to defend less than that with only 4 bowlers. If we're going to get a smaller score (which with the tactics of our openers we will) then we need more fire power to defend it with the ball.

Poor management. Go one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread