Group A: Australia, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
We're never going to be able to pick four bowlers for the purpose of taking wickets and knock sides over, the balance has to be a lot more 'subtle' than that. Anderson seems to be more consistent, Bresnan and Broad look unlikely to ever be that consistent, and you simply can't guarantee even with your best four bowlers that they'll take wickets.

Last five ODI performances

Anderson : 2/51 (10), 3/30 (10), 2/65 (10), 3/31 (9), 1/34 (8)
Broad : 0/67 (8.1), 1/35 (10), 2/56 (9), 2/38 (9), 1/69 (9)
Bresnan : 0/63 (10), 2/45 (10), 2/27 (8), 0/73 (10), 0/36 (9.5)
Finn : 2/57 (9.3), 3/27 (9), 1/33 (10), 1/54 (10), 2/27 (10)

I can easily see a strong case for ditching one of Broad or Bresnan for Finn who averages 26.61 in ODIs and at an ER of 4.65. Finn's worst figures in his last five ODIs are 1/54 off 10, compared to Bresnan's 0/73 off 10 and Broad's 0/67 off 8.1 overs.

So how do they compare in terms of averages etc in the past five?

Anderson : 11 wkts @ 19.18 (SR 25.64, ER 4.49)
Finn : 9 wkts @ 22.00 (SR 32.33, ER 4.08)
Broad : 6 wkts @ 44.17 (SR 45.17, ER 6.14)
Bresnan : 4 wkts @ 61.00 (SR 71.75, ER 5.10)

So in their past 10 ODIs combined Broad and Bresnan have picked up 10 wkts at a staggering average of 50.90, ER 5.47 which isn't massive but not great if they're meant to be two of your front three bowlers and contributing 2/109 off 20 overs.

That would leave a lower order of Broad/Bresnan, Swann/Tredwell, Anderson, Finn, but it shouldn't come to Broad or Bresnan making a lot of runs, not that they do very often anyway. If neither Broad nor Bresnan could bat would they be so fixed in the line-up?

I think the problem is the World Cup isn't so far away and we're still nowhere near a balanced line up. Sure the Bopara/Root 5th bowler approach will work from time to time, more often when our other bowlers turn up and we have a decent score on the board. When the pressure is on it won't though, and you don't win world cups by performing half the time.

I think we definitely need a shake up from the Test > ODI selections, I would not have 7-8 Test players in the side as often as England do.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Pfft how Finn gets overlooked time and again for Bresnan just baffles me. Not at all a fan of Alastair/the management's selection policy.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Pfft how Finn gets overlooked time and again for Bresnan just baffles me. Not at all a fan of Alastair/the management's selection policy.

I wouldn't say I dislike Cook/management's selection but I completely agree, how can the fastest and one of the most genuinely dangerous English fast bowlers on the international team get continuously dropped in favour of a guy who averages in the mid thirties with the ball is ridiculous. I've heard the argument that it's his batting capabilities that have given him a place amongst the team which is simply BS. He can't bat well.

----------

P.S. This really has been the group of choice in terms of entertainment and evenly matched teams. As it stands, any of the four could make it into the top two slots and that is great for cricket and the CT.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I'd say Broad is picked ahead of Finn. Bresnan does that first change job and then bowls late in the innings, which isn't really Finn's bag. Whereas Broad takes the new ball and comes back a little later to take a wicket, which is exactly what Finn does. Like I said, personally, I'd play all of them, but on bowling alone, you've got to pick Finn over Broad. Problem is, the management aren't just looking on that one basis of bowling ability.

----------

Root has no idea that he hit that. :D

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I see NZ are trying the tactics of keeping Cook in by dropping everything that he dollies up to a fielder.

Which isn't a bad idea at the moment, he needs to put the foot down. Then he hits a 6, good start.

Last edited:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well played Cook. Found out he has a T20 century. Really impressive. Not as impressive as 25 test hundreds, but still impressive.

D

Dutch

I hope England review this policy of how they want to play these type of games because it just aint working consistently.

glenny134

Club Captain
Dear Australians,

Please take back Luke Ronchi, we don't want him.

Yours faithfully,
New Zealand

Owzat

International Coach
I hope England review this policy of how they want to play these type of games because it just aint working consistently.

I think England got very lucky, dropped catches, shortened game meaning the fifth bowler only had to bowl four overs, and everything just seemed to work. Even then England only just got home safely.

Cook and Root set up the win, but Cook had how many lives in his 64? Missed on 14, 37 and 45. To then lose by 10 runs when Cook added 50, 27 and 19 is not clever.

Then from 141/3 after 18.3 overs we lose our last seven wickets in 30 balls. Just as well Anderson is in good form, reducing the kiwis to 14/2 before Bresnan and Broad helped make it 48/4 which effectively ended realistic hopes of them winning.

Can a kiwi please tell me what Franklin does? 0/20 off 2 overs and 6 runs. He also made 6 against Sri Lanka, yesterday was his first bowl so what is he exactly? A non-bowling all-rounder? A naff batsman? Blowing the chairman of selectors?

So England into the semis thanks in the main to pretty ordinary performances by the aussies and kiwis. If South Africa don't provide a serious test, you have to ask if everyone wants England to win. Anderson has carried the bowling, twice as many wickets as anyone else (8) and the rest of the bowling averaging 30+ to his 14.13 . The batting's been ok, three gettable totals and only one team turned up enough to get it.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Franklin needs to GTFO. I've got nothing against him personally because he's always come across as a nice enough guy, but without any doubt he is statically the worst player ever to have played as many international matches as he has (177+):

Out of everyone who has taken his amount of wickets or less (183-) he has scored the less amount of runs (so excluding bowlers), and out of everyone who has scored his amount of runs or less (2541-) he has taken the least wickets (so excluding batsmen). You can talk about him being an all-rounder who offers a bit of everything to the team, but at the end of the day your contribution to the team is the runs that you score or the wickets that you take, and he is a nothing on both counts.

Batting

Bowling

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
For Australia to qualify - Bat 1st they need to beat Sri Lanka by 126 runs. Bat 2nd if they have to chase say, 250, need to do it in 29 overs.

Now this looks out of reach. :(

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
For Australia to qualify - Bat 1st they need to beat Sri Lanka by 126 runs. Bat 2nd if they have to chase say, 250, need to do it in 29 overs.

If the team is a deserving semifinal entrant, they would do it. Otherwise I don`t think they deserve a place in the semis.

Owzat

International Coach

I thought they'd bat first, go for 300+ and hope for the best. The only realistic chance of winning they had was to bowl Sri Lanka out cheaply and I reckon that is easier bowling second.

They may find themselves on an ironic reverse (126 run defeat), more likely than 250 in 29 overs. I think the NRR system needs reviewing

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
think it's easier to contol the run rate batting second. how would you go about aggressively trying to limit a team to 150 on a pitch where 250 is doable? at least batting you can hit out from the start.

think australia are probably out though, give them a good chance of chasing this but not with 20 overs to spare.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
This will be good, if they can chase it down. Sri Lanka are probably going to use Malinga a lot early on

Users who are viewing this thread