Group D (England, Ireland, West Indies) - 10th Match Ireland v England

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
All true. But lets be fair now KP. The fact that all these foreigners even though they have some british connection playing for England doesn't paint a good picture for our side from an outsiders perspective. It portrays the imagine that our local home grown talent isn't good enough (which is true in some area's).

So basically the jokes/teasing will continue as long as we keep poaching these foreigners unfortunately. Since we surely don't want a scenario where we have a England team where foreigners with british links are more than local English talent.

Eugh. I hate the use of that word. We haven't poached anyone.

I have been trying to keep away from this bashing of the Guyana and I can't help it! The rainy season does not start here for another month, we have been experiencing a drought in the Caribbean for the last 6 months, it was the worst record on some of the Island for 40 years!!! Guyana is slightly different because of the vast rain forest and they too were not spared the drought, rain is only now coming back so to claim they knew and all that crap is unnecessary no one can predict nature period!! Historically we are in the dry season in the Caribbean until June 1st when the hurricane season starts!!!

Travel Guyana - General Information

Not according to this, and a number of other sites. Guyana's rainy season is noted as May and June.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Eugh. I hate the use of that word. We haven't poached anyone.

Well poach in the sense that we have taken the foreign talent over the local talent. But yes of course all of KP, Morgan, Trott, Kieswetter made the personal decision to play for England.

A balance needs to stuck with the amount of foreign talent we take up though. Since lets be frank any country in the world would take KP & Morgan if they wanted to play for them. But at the same time alot of foreign players (mainly South Africans & West Indians) will take up the oppurtunity to play for England given the oppurtunities available in this country for sportsmen.

But its up to selectors to balance out the amount of foreign qualified players we actually pick vs local talent. Fundamentally though we need to improve our youth grassroots talent that ends up in county cricket, since if that aint improved in the years to come it will be hard not pick foreign talent of a KP/Morgan quality that wants to play for us.

War added 5 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Travel Guyana - General Information

Not according to this, and a number of other sites. Guyana's rainy season is noted as May and June.

Still you really can't predicr the weather in Guyana. I remember seeing ODI's from Australia in 99 & England 2004, being interrupted in Guyana during April which was supposedly the dry weather season.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Well poach in the sense that we have taken the foreign talent over the local talent. But yes of course all of KP, Morgan, Trott, Kieswetter made the personal decision to play for England.

Well I think poach is still the wrong term tbh, as it indicates some sort of illegal wrong-doing, or that we've stolen these players from their country of birth, which simply isn't true. It's been the players choice in every instance.

A balance needs to stuck with the amount of foreign talent we take up though. Since lets be frank any country in the world would take KP & Morgan if they wanted to play for them. But at the same time alot of foreign players (mainly South Africans & West Indians) will take up the oppurtunity to play for England given the oppurtunities available in this country for sportsmen.

But its up to selectors to balance out the amount of foreign qualified players we actually pick vs local talent. Fundamentally though we need to improve our youth grassroots talent that ends up in county cricket, since if that aint improved in the years to come it will be hard not pick foreign talent of a KP/Morgan quality that wants to play for us.

I don't think it is. The job of a selector is to pick the best possible team from the players available. Things start getting very dodgy if English-born players are being picked ahead of non-English born players purely down to that place of birth. England is a country that welcomes immigration, and is therefore a very multi-cultural and multi-national country, so I don't think it's as much of an issue as many think it is. I'm certainly not bothered where our players are born, as long as they're qualified and want to play cricket for England, which it's clear the current lads do. Morgan's been the first that has no ties to England too, it's not like we're just picking up guys that have no English roots what-so-ever.

Also, I think it could just be a phase, as the next generation of talent all appear to be English-born. I'm talking the likes of Hamilton-Brown, Northeast, Denly, Vince, Taylor, Hales, Rashid, Fletcher, Briggs, Harris, Woakes, Stokes etc are all English-born IIRC. So I personally believe it's just a phase that will pass, and we'll soon have a squad almost entirely made-up of English-born cricketers; not that I think it's remotely bad that the South African-born Englishmen are in the squad atm.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well I think poach is still the wrong term tbh, as it indicates some sort of illegal wrong-doing, or that we've stolen these players from their country of birth, which simply isn't true. It's been the players choice in every instance.

Yea poach is bad word to use. When it comes to South African importants we are taking advantage of the quota & kolpak system. While for Windies imports - they decline in windies cricket (although we haven't got any class windies players playing for us as yet or maybe ever).

I don't think it is. The job of a selector is to pick the best possible team from the players available. Things start getting very dodgy if English-born players are being picked ahead of non-English born players purely down to that place of birth. England is a country that welcomes immigration, and is therefore a very multi-cultural and multi-national country, so I don't think it's as much of an issue as many think it is. I'm certainly not bothered where our players are born, as long as they're qualified and want to play cricket for England, which it's clear the current lads do. Morgan's been the first that has no ties to England too, it's not like we're just picking up guys that have no English roots what-so-ever.

This is where as British people we can't hold on to ideology of just because we are a mulit-cultural society, we can hold a deaf ear to criticism of the amount of foreingers that ends up playing for us. Since it does look bad at times.

Outsiders will say for eg with the KP & Morgan that "we couldn't produce a batsman of such skill in our own grassroots system". Since KP & Morgan didn't learn their trade here.

Plus i dont think Trott or Kieswetter has any English ties like Morgan either.

Also, I think it could just be a phase, as the next generation of talent all appear to be English-born. I'm talking the likes of Hamilton-Brown, Northeast, Denly, Vince, Taylor, Hales, Rashid, Fletcher, Briggs, Harris, Woakes, Stokes etc are all English-born IIRC. So I personally believe it's just a phase that will pass, and we'll soon have a squad almost entirely made-up of English-born cricketers; not that I think it's remotely bad that the South African-born Englishmen are in the squad atm.

We can't be sure. We don't know if any other classy Saffies or any other foreign player will suddenly want to play for ENG in the next 5-10 years. But yea to a level the future young players look sorta good, dont forget Nathan Buck & Liam Dawson.

Which Fletcher & Birggs you talking about there as well?

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Kieswetter's Mother is British (Scottish), and Trott's father, Ian is English.

And I was talking about Danny Briggs and Nott's seam bowler Luke Fletcher.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Kieswetter's Mother is British (Scottish), and Trott's father, Ian is English.

Ha Scottish. That link is so tedious & funny since in football no scottish player would ever think of playing of playing for England most of the time :laugh

Plus Trott lets be fair only decided to play for us given he was never going to get into the South African team anyway. I wonder if Phil Jaques may ever up that oppuritunity in the years to come since he has a british passport as well.

And I was talking about Danny Briggs and Nott's seam bowler Luke Fletcher.

Word. Haven't noticed them before, will keep an eye out

P

pcfan123

My take on the Yardy situation is that if they are going to bat him behind Swann then what is the point? We might as well play Shah at 6, Wright at 7 and then Swann at 8. that stabalizes the batting a lot more and Wrights bowling is no better or no worse than Yardys left arm darts.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My take on the Yardy situation is that if they are going to bat him behind Swann then what is the point? We might as well play Shah at 6, Wright at 7 and then Swann at 8. that stabalizes the batting a lot more and Wrights bowling is no better or no worse than Yardys left arm darts.

Yep. I have been saying it all along. The only way Yardy could/should have played is if we had Flintoff to bat @ 6.

Users who are viewing this thread