Historic Sides to use in Cricket Captain 2021

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
I recently played a historic West Indies side the 1960-61 touring side against the Australians of today in an ODI. The Windies put up 270 a decent score with me as captain. Sir Frank Worrell bolstered the innings, after the quick losses of Hunte out first ball and Kanhai out cheaply. The Aussies won with Finch and Warner who got the Aussies off to a flier. I really enjoyed the game.

However for some reason, the game does not save your created teams or historic sides, either of which you can mix and match.

So I thought I'd post some historic squads, to save time in case anyone wants to play with historic sides more. It should save some time, when you set up your historuc side. Thankfully most if not all the players who played some form of international cricket are here, and even some important first class players. I may even do some all star sides. I will start with some ODI World Cup Squads and then go from there with Test sides and T20 sides.

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
World Cup 1975

Australia 1975- Finalists
I.Chappell (c), G.Chappell, R.Edwards, G.Gilmour, D.Lillee, R.McCosker, A.Mallett, R,Marsh (WK), J.Thompson, A.Turner, M.Walker, D.Walters, A.Hurst, B.Laird

England 1975 - Semi Finalists
M.Denness (c), D.Amiss, J.Arnold, K.Fletcher, T.Greig, F.Hayes, J.Jameson (WK), A.Knott (WK), P.Lever, C.Old, J.Snow, D.Underwood, B.Wood. .

India 1975 - Flops
Venkat (c), S.Abid Ali, M.Armanath, B.Bedi, F.Engineer, A.Gaekwad, S.Gavaskar, K.Ghavri, Madan Lal, B.Patel, E.Solkar, G.Vishwanath, S.Kirmani, P.Sharma.

New Zealand 1975 - Semi Finalists
G.Turner (c), L.Cairns, R.Collinge, B.Hadlee, D.Hadlee, RHadlee, B.Hastings, G.Howarth, H.Howarth, B.McKechnie, J.Morrison, J.Parker, K.Wadsworth (WK). N.Parker,

East Africa 1975 - Debutants
H.Shah
(c), F.Ali, Z.Ali, Y.Badat, H.McLeod, P,Mehta (WK), J.Nagenda, P.Nana, D.Pringle, M.Quaraishy, R. Sehti, J.Shah, S.Sumar, S.Walusimbi. (To recreate the East Africa 1975 squad you wil have to use "World XI A" or "World XI B" to create them and search the base for the players. Sadly I was only able to find the players in bold which are mostly Kenyan).

Pakistan 1975 - Flops
A.Iqbal, Z.Abbas, W.Bari (WK), I.Khan, M.Khan, N.Malik, A.Masood, J.Miandad, P.Mir, M.Mohammad, S.Mohammad, S.Nawaz, W.Raja, S.Ahmed,

Sri Lanka 1975 - Debutants.
A.Tennekoon (c), A.de Silva, S.de Silva, R.Fernando (WK), D.Heyn, L.Kaluperuma, D.Mendis, T.Opatha, M.Peiris, A.Ranusinghe, M.Tissera, B.Warnapura, S.Wettimuny, D.Chanmugam.

West Indies 1975 -Winners.
C.Lloyd (c). K.Boyce, R.Fredricks, L.Gibbs, G.Greenidge, V.Holder, B.Julien, A.Kallicharran, R.Kanhai, Derryck Murray (WK), V.Richards, A.Roberts, M.Foster, L.Rowe.

South Africa 1975- What if?

It should be possible to create South Africa 1975 as a lot of their players who played during this era, should be in the database despite the fact that South Africa were banned. When you are ready to use "South Africa 1975" you would go to Tournament, Choose South Africa and type 1960-1979 and tick Greats. I did this to ensure all of their 1960s players would be eligible as some players started young and finished late. I also wanted to make sure everyone possible in the 1970s was available. The results were fantastic. 1970s South Africa are lit!

South Africa 1975
G.Pollock, B.Richards, K.McEwan, C.Rice, H.Ackerman, C.Wilkins, L.Irvine, P.Kirsten, M.Proctor, J.Cook, V.van der Bijl, R.Hanley, D,Hobson, R.Ontong, R.Jennings (WK), A.Ferreira, H.Fotheringham, A.Bacher (c) , A.Kourie, R.White, K.McKenzie, D.Dyer, G.LeRoux, D.Bestall, L.Barnard, A.Bruyns. O.Henry. P.Symcox. K.Watson. J.DuPreez.

1960s stalwarts, Tiger Lance, Colin Bland, and Dennis Lindsay would have been in their mid to late 30s and Ali Bacher was early 30s so he could make it. Kepler Wessells would have been an exciting 18 year old. There are other players who would make their name for South Africa in the future but they are just a little young for 1975 but will return for 1979 and 1983. The 1987 pool of player will be more recognisable as after that South Africa's ban was finished. Still it should be fun using these guys, especially against the 1970s Aussies and the 1980s West Indians.

Your choice, but the database is strong enough to make a South Africa 1975.

All of these players should be available if you choose "Tournament" and then "All Time Greats". However to track a tournament such as the 1975 tournament may have to be manual. The use of the word "tournament" in the game refers it seems to be between two teams.

I played a scratch East Africa side (the players of 1975 East Africa that I could find plus some Sri Lankans and Indians of that era) and played against the mighty South Africa with me as South Africa in an ODI. We won, but not without a bit of a struggle. I left my aggression at home and only posted about 270. The East Africans put up a plucky fight for a while when chasing and Hahlil Shah scored a bright 80! Mike Proctor won us the game though in the end with some destruction of the East Africa middle order. Good game and a reminder to choose players who fit the ODI game and not the Test game if I am playing ODI.

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
1979 World Cup

*Australia - Flops

Hughes(c), Border, Cosier, R.Darling, Dymock, Hilditch, Hogg, Hurst, Laughlin, Moss, Porter, K.Wright (WK) Yallop, Whatmore. *Many star players excluded by the ACB due to the "Packer Circus" affair.

India - Flops
Venkat (c), M.Armanath, Bedi, Gaekwad, Gavaskar, Ghavri, Dev, Khanna (WK), B.Patel, Vengsarkar, Vishwanath, Reddy (W), Yaj Singh, Y.Sharma.

South Africa - What ifs?
Players available include many from the pool of 1975 and new comers like Adrian Kuiper and Kepler Wessells. Search 1965-1989 and that should pull up who is available. It will be similar to 1975.

England - Finalists
Brearley (c), Botham, Boycott, Edmonds, Gatting, Gooch, Gower, Hendrick, Larkins, Miller, Old, Randall, B.Taylor, Willis.

Pakistan - Semi Finalists
A.Iqbal (c), Z.Abbas, W.Bari (W), S.Bhakt, M.Khan, I.Khan, J.Miandad, S.Mohammad, S.Nawaz, M.Nazar,W.Raja, H.Rashid, I.Qasim, H.Jamil.

West Indies - Winners
Lloyd (c), Croft, Garner, Greenidge, Haynes, Holding, Kallicharran, King, Der Murray (W), Richards, Roberts, Gomes, Bacchus, Marshall.

New Zealand - Semi Finalists
Burgess, (c), L.Cairns, Chatfield, Coney, Edgar, R.Hadlee, G.Howarth, Lees, McKechnie, Morrison, Stott, Troup, Turner, Wright.

Canada - Debutants
Not sure Canada's players exist in the database will update if they do.

Sri Lanka - Minnows
Tannekoon (c), Aj de Silva, S de Silva, St de Silva, Dias, Gunatilleke, Jayasinghe (W), Madugalle, D.Mendis, Opatha, Pasqual, Warnapura, Sunil Wettimuny, Jayasekara.

Last edited:

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
From what I remember they do have Canadian players in the database, at least they used to

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
World Cup 1983

India
- Winners
Kapil Dev (c), M.Armanath, Azad, Binny, Gavaskar, Kirmani (wk), Madan Lal, Patil, B.Sandhu, Y.Sharma, Shastri, Srikkanth, Valson, Vengsarkar.

West Indies - Finalists (How did they lose this??)
Lloyd (c), Bacchus, Daniel, Davies, Dujon (WK), Garner, Gomes, Greenidge, Haynes, Holding, Logie, Marshall, Richards, Roberts.

I.Khan, Faqih, M.Akhtar, M.Nazar, M.Khan, R.Khan, S.Nawaz, S.Mahboob, T.Naquash, W.Bari, W.Raja, Z.Abbas, J,Miandad

England - Semi Finalists
Willis (c), Botham, Cowans, Dilley, Fowler, Gatting, Gould (wk) , Gower, Jesty, Lamb, Marks, Randall, Tavare.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
From what I remember they do have Canadian players in the database, at least they used to

@Mouseydread The Cricket Captain 2021 Scout may be useful for finding players. For example, you can easily find the 18 current and 82 retired Canadian players in the database by configuring the filters (Options -> Filters):

1628170854480.png

Current Canadian players:

1628170964412.png

Retired Canadian players:

1628170998293.png

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
However for some reason, the game does not save your created teams or historic sides, either of which you can mix and match.
I could probably make a simple software tool that allows you to save your squad to a text file, then load it again in a new game. (Then you could share your text files here and anyone else could load them and play them directly).

I never thought about doing this before because in Career mode, the player database changes all the time. But obviously the historic player database is fixed, so I think it should be feasible.

I'm not too familiar with the tournament modes, so I would need to play around a bit. I'm not sure what Cricket Captain does and doesn't let you do (e.g. mix players from different eras?), but if there are any restrictions you don't like, then they could probably be circumvented.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I could probably make a simple software tool that allows you to save your squad to a text file, then load it again in a new game. (Then you could share your text files here and anyone else could load them and play them directly).
I figured out a nice (fast) way of doing this, but the problem would be when new Cricket Captain patches are released, the player database changes and then the old text files wouldn't work any more. It would be possible to automatically update the text files after each Cricket Captain update, but it starts to get a bit ugly (and time-consuming to implement).

A more robust approach (but much slower to run) would be to save the players' names and dates of birth into the text file, then exhaustively look up this information from the player database when you "load" your squad. I reckon this would take at least 10 seconds to load... but it should keep working after Cricket Captain is updated.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
If you're playing a "great" series, I believe that's what they're called, you can pick anyone from any era
You can, it just takes a bit of time looking up the players and adding to your chosen squad. Its a great part of the game but cannot save the teams. A few years back I am sure we could do this but recent versions not able to. Sadly.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain

I never thought about doing this before because in Career mode, the player database changes all the time. But obviously the historic player database is fixed, so I think it should be feasible.

I'm not too familiar with the tournament modes, so I would need to play around a bit. I'm not sure what Cricket Captain does and doesn't let you do (e.g. mix players from different eras?), but if there are any restrictions you don't like, then they could probably be circumvented.
You can mix and match players from history to play together in World X1 A or World X1 B, So I could have Viv Richards in the same side as Ben Stokes and Hansie Cronje in the same squad as Kane Williamson. That is if you choose World XI and you can play Test, ODI or T20 for a series of up to 5 matches, so its pretty good. You can also have the players play from different eras for one country, like chosing an All India. As I say cant figure out how to save yet but there have been some suggestions coming in that I will try. The potential for All Time Leagues here is huge.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
The potential for All Time Leagues here is huge.
I think you mentioned above that the historic teams can only take part in 1 vs. 1 "tournaments". It could be more interesting to have a proper league, or knockout tournament, with a much larger number of classic teams all competing.

I don't think it would be difficult to edit historical squads into the larger tournament modes ("20 Over World Cup", "One Day World Cup" and "Champions Cup"). Unfortunately, it looks like there's nothing for red ball cricket.

The historical players can definitely be edited into the career mode domestic squads, but I haven't really tested it. I suspect a 112-year-old Don Bradman might play badly due to his age (but not necessarily - it could be that the effects of age are only calculated at the end of the season). Of course, the players' dates of birth could also be edited, but that adds a bit of extra effort.

The part I've never spent the time to dig up is the squad lists, but the World Cup squads you posted above should be doable to some extent. To do it really well (including correct venues, dates and number of teams), I would need to revive the old "Fixture Editor", which hasn't been updated for something like 5 years, so needs a lot of work.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
I think you mentioned above that the historic teams can only take part in 1 vs. 1 "tournaments". It could be more interesting to have a proper league, or knockout tournament, with a much larger number of classic teams all competing.

I don't think it would be difficult to edit historical squads into the larger tournament modes ("20 Over World Cup", "One Day World Cup" and "Champions Cup"). Unfortunately, it looks like there's nothing for red ball cricket.

The historical players can definitely be edited into the career mode domestic squads, but I haven't really tested it. I suspect a 112-year-old Don Bradman might play badly due to his age (but not necessarily - it could be that the effects of age are only calculated at the end of the season). Of course, the players' dates of birth could also be edited, but that adds a bit of extra effort.

The part I've never spent the time to dig up is the squad lists, but the World Cup squads you posted above should be doable to some extent. To do it really well (including correct venues, dates and number of teams), I would need to revive the old "Fixture Editor", which hasn't been updated for something like 5 years, so needs a lot of work.
I agree it would be great if we can run a league/season with the old timers!

If you could that, that would be awesome!

1987 World Cup

Australia
- Surprise winners!
Border, (c) Boon, Dyer (w), D.Jones, G.Marsh, May, McDermott, Moody, O'Donnell, Reid, Taylor, Valetta, S.Waugh, Zessers.

England - Should have won it! Runners Up
Gatting (c), Athey, C.Broad, Defreitas, Downton (WK), Emburey, N.Foster, Gooch, Hemmings, Lamb, Pringle, Robinson, Small.

India - Semi Finalists
Dev,(c), Azharuddin, Binny, Gavaskar, M.Singh, More (WK), Pandit (WK), Prabhakar, C.Sharma, Shastri, N.Sidhu, Sivaramakrishan, Srikkanth, Vengsarkar.

I.Khan (c) , Qadir, I.Ahmed, Miandad, M.Akhtar, Elahi, M.Nazar, R.Raja, S.Jaffar, S.Malik, S.Yusuf, S.Mohammad, T.Ahmed, W.Akram.

West Indies - Flops
Richards (c) , W.Benjamin, Best, Dujon (W), R.Harper, D.Haynes, Hooper, Logie, Patterson, Richardson, Simmons, Walsh.

The thing about it for now is that we would have to do a tournament manually. I will just do simple one off games for now. Ill see if I can do a better job than Viv in a round robin vs the other sides posted here. I'm looking for 4 wins out of 4!

Users who are viewing this thread