How highly should Dale Steyn be rated?.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
With regards to the legacy of south african paceman, how highly do you think he should be rated now you people think?.

Of course Allan Donald rightly for now is unanimously recognised as the Saffies greatest ever quick. But ATS has Steyn done enough to be rated as the conclusive 2nd best to Donald ahead of the likes of Peter Pollock, Mike Procter, Shaun Pollock, Garth Le Roux, Vince Van Der Bijl?

Thoughts..

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Firstly, I like Shaun Pollock a lot. Not as technically pleasing or not as intimidating as White Lightning, but I think Polly was just as effective a bowler as Donald.

But anyway...Steyn - I find him a tough guy to rate. He's had very little competition for best fast bowler in the world. Mitchell Johnson, Zaheer Khan, Jimmy Anderson - all haven't been consistently good enough/healthy enough even though they are probably almost as talented as Steyn.

I'm not sure I personally like Steyn's methods either. He's pretty loose and gets hit for a lot of boundaries, despite his excellent strike rate. Maybe Waqar Younis would be the only guy who's been like that who you'd call a legend. Other guys in the loose, but good strikers category like Brett Lee, Shane Bond, Shoaib Akhtar, Simon Jones, Nantie Hayward, Mitchell Johnson, Steve Finn, Sreesanth, Darren Gough, Devon Malcolm - Steyn is a bit better than those guys, but I think the fact that he's similar to them makes me uneasy. It's fine when you have steady bowlers around you I guess. And I guess when it's said and done I'm a fan of more steady bowlers eg. McGrath, S.Pollock, Asif.

That said, tough to argue with that average though. He'll go down as a great, especially given the way he bowls - with good pace, movement and style. Plus he did well in Australia and India too, not easy places to succeed. I'd put him 3rd behind Donald and S.Pollock in SA history, though Peter Pollock and Neil Adcock might challenge that.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
If Steyn's next 200 wickets can come with about the same strike rate as his first 200 wickets, I'd put him right behind Donald for sure, possibly above.

If he dulls out, then behind Pollock.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Steyn is the best going around at the moment. The most amazing thing is his strike rate. I think if he keeps his rate this good for rest of his career, I will have no problem in rating him as the best SA quickie to date.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
200 wickets is a career, especially for a fast bowler. Getting to 400, even if he is not as good as he gets older and stiffer, would simply be a grand statement of longevity. If he could do so without shaking his records, he would stand atop his peers quite easily.

Maybe it's best to look at L&L bowlers like Pollock, Walsh or McGrath as being part of another era now, just like all the rest. Give current players a bit of a break from comparisons. Steyn's method, his strike rate and economy are perhaps as close as anyone comes to personifying modern cricket's zeitgeist. He capitalises on the way Test cricket is played, taking his opponents' aggression and bending it back on them with full force. Teams are loaded with impetuous strokemakers these days, many who are difficult to get a gauge on, but many of the best quicks at the moment echo Steyn; they're not water-tight, but they're there to get a bag.

It's not perfect. Like any human player, he's not always difficult to play, but I think that's the beauty of it. He has the heart to persist and not die wondering. I'm not going to spend my days wondering if Steyn was as good as Allan Donald (or worse, the likes of Procter and Le Roux), but I do think any praise he gets for surviving those killing fields we call pitches has been earned.

stefan

International Coach
Difficult to compare since AD played on more bowler friendly tracks. For me Steyn currently is certainly the second best.

relentless_rock

Club Cricketer
Difficult to compare since AD played on more bowler friendly tracks. For me Steyn currently is certainly the second best.

+1
Abiity to motivate himself and produce a wicket when conditions and match situation are stacking heavily against bowling, is quite remarkable.

When Shane Bond's performance n stats made me believe that we missed out on one of the all time great bowlers, and I see now Steyn stats .. , ..he is already done enough in my eyes.

ferg512

International Coach
It really is quite phenomenal how he maintains low strike rate and averages in this day and age. He is so far and above any other modern day bowler. I think potentially he could be better than Donald because of the pitches these days but i guess we will never know.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Firstly, I like Shaun Pollock a lot. Not as technically pleasing or not as intimidating as White Lightning, but I think Polly was just as effective a bowler as Donald.

But anyway...Steyn - I find him a tough guy to rate. He's had very little competition for best fast bowler in the world. Mitchell Johnson, Zaheer Khan, Jimmy Anderson - all haven't been consistently good enough/healthy enough even though they are probably almost as talented as Steyn.

I'm not sure I personally like Steyn's methods either. He's pretty loose and gets hit for a lot of boundaries, despite his excellent strike rate. Maybe Waqar Younis would be the only guy who's been like that who you'd call a legend. Other guys in the loose, but good strikers category like Brett Lee, Shane Bond, Shoaib Akhtar, Simon Jones, Nantie Hayward, Mitchell Johnson, Steve Finn, Sreesanth, Darren Gough, Devon Malcolm - Steyn is a bit better than those guys, but I think the fact that he's similar to them makes me uneasy. It's fine when you have steady bowlers around you I guess. And I guess when it's said and done I'm a fan of more steady bowlers eg. McGrath, S.Pollock, Asif.

That said, tough to argue with that average though. He'll go down as a great, especially given the way he bowls - with good pace, movement and style. Plus he did well in Australia and India too, not easy places to succeed. I'd put him 3rd behind Donald and S.Pollock in SA history, though Peter Pollock and Neil Adcock might challenge that.

Interesting way to look at it. On the bolded points im in the opposite camp & i'm more of fan of the Steyn, Waqar, Gough, Akhtar type bowlers instead of your McGrath, S Pollock, Asif type bowlers.

S Pollock at his peak between 95-2001/02 (when he suffered that bad shoulder injury after the tour to AUS 01/02 which sent him downhill for the reamainder of the 2000s). Was unbelievably good 63 test: 261 wickets @ 20

I saw almost 80% of him during this period & one thing i always remember is that he technically wasn't that great a bowler the left-hander to be fair compared to Donald or his fellow metronome McGrath.

I have seen pretty much all of Steyn's peak (which if you take out those 3 test he playved vs ENG 2004 when he was young & raw). His peak from April 2006 - now 41 test: 216 wickets @ 22. A peak in which he raced to 200 test wickets faster than all the great bowlers quicks who attained 200 wickets except for Lillee & Waqar. By the time he plays 63 tests like S Pollock's peak he will probably have 300 test wickets.

So if we where picking a Saffies all-time XI Steyn unless his career starts plummiting from now on would get the nod over S Pollock fairly easily.

But one wonders what the likes of P Pollock, Le Roux, Procter,, Adcock, Van Der Bijl (he was like the S Pollock of the 80s) records could have been like if they had the oppurtunity to play more tests like Steyn. Since watching old footage of them bowling, talent wise Steyn & all of them are equal. Is just that Steyn record at the end of the day will have to give him preference over all of them.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

200 wickets is a career, especially for a fast bowler. Getting to 400, even if he is not as good as he gets older and stiffer, would simply be a grand statement of longevity. If he could do so without shaking his records, he would stand atop his peers quite easily.

Maybe it's best to look at L&L bowlers like Pollock, Walsh or McGrath as being part of another era now, just like all the rest. Give current players a bit of a break from comparisons. Steyn's method, his strike rate and economy are perhaps as close as anyone comes to personifying modern cricket's zeitgeist. He capitalises on the way Test cricket is played, taking his opponents' aggression and bending it back on them with full force. Teams are loaded with impetuous strokemakers these days, many who are difficult to get a gauge on, but many of the best quicks at the moment echo Steyn; they're not water-tight, but they're there to get a bag.

It's not perfect. Like any human player, he's not always difficult to play, but I think that's the beauty of it. He has the heart to persist and not die wondering. I'm not going to spend my days wondering if Steyn was as good as Allan Donald (or worse, the likes of Procter and Le Roux), but I do think any praise he gets for surviving those killing fields we call pitches has been earned.

Ye well said. 200 wickets is career for quick & for Steyn who has taken his 200 so fast, one can say he is touching ATG status already. ENG hype Larwood until this day as great bowler & he barely took 78 test wickets.

On the point about Steyn methods personifying modern cricket's zeitgeist. Although thats true, his methods are not that unique to be fair.

Waqar, Gough, Lillee, Marshall, young Botham, Trueman, Imran, Wasim, Donald, Lindwall etc etc etc@ their peaks all bowled just like Steyn currently. Yea some of them had more bowler friendly tracks that Steyn over the course of their careers to bowl on (although Steyn has had a good share on greentops/bouncy decks to bowl on in the last 4 years). But his methods to deal with modern day flat pitches aren't that unique in that we can't compare him to past great fast-bowlers.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
If Steyn can get to 350+ wickets and his average stays the same or close to and he keeps his strike rate under 50 I would have no problem rating him top 5 of all time. That would be my sort of criteria. I know Donald doesn't have 350+ wickets but he is in top 5 for sure. I also count performance in the subcontinent allot, if you are a complete fast bowler then you should have decent average in the subcontinent.
If he dwindles towards the end then I would find it hard to include him alongside Marshall, McGrath, Donald, Hadlee.

P

pcfan123

Like angy said, very few people are mentioning that Steyn got his wickets on todays pancakes.

I hope he continues to shine, he is easily the best fast bowler in the world followed by daylight.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Like angy said, very few people are mentioning that Steyn got his wickets on todays pancakes.

I hope he continues to shine, he is easily the best fast bowler in the world followed by daylight.

Because that is exaggerating it a bit.

Of course the majority of 2000-2010 period has had alot of flat pitches. But when Steyn started to peak in April 2006, he has bowled on ALOT of bowler friendly pitches in the last 4 years in almost every series he has played. So in reality its not as if he had to bowl on roads all the time.

So one can say in the last couple of years along with revival in quality pace attacks amongsts the top 8 teams. Revival in helpul pitches has been seen.

2010 has seen ALOT of bowler friendly pitches worlwide than flat pitches too if you think about all the series played this year.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

If Steyn can get to 350+ wickets and his average stays the same or close to and he keeps his strike rate under 50 I would have no problem rating him top 5 of all time. That would be my sort of criteria. I know Donald doesn't have 350+ wickets but he is in top 5 for sure. I also count performance in the subcontinent allot, if you are a complete fast bowler then you should have decent average in the subcontinent.
If he dwindles towards the end then I would find it hard to include him alongside Marshall, McGrath, Donald, Hadlee.

Interesting that you rate Donald in your top 5 quicks of al-time.

For me when rating grate fast bowlers in a possible top 10, the top 4 are always Marshall, Lillee, Hadlee, Imran.

Then from there its highly subjective from # 5 onwards with the likes of Ambrose, McGrath, Donald, Wasim, Trueman, Lindwall

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting that you rate Donald in your top 5 quicks of al-time.

For me when rating grate fast bowlers in a possible top 10, the top 4 are always Marshall, Lillee, Hadlee, Imran.

Then from there its highly subjective from # 5 onwards with the likes of Ambrose, McGrath, Donald, Wasim, Trueman, Lindwall

I don't know why but I always think of Imran as an all rounder even tho I know that he was a brilliant bowler. He could easily round of my top 5 at this moment, I just cant decide on that 5th spot.
Lille I don't rate as high as the ones in my top 4 (or5) because he didn't play a test in India and struggled against Pakistan in Pakistan.

N.E.R.D

School Cricketer
Not exaggerating, but he is right up there with Holding and Roberts when at his best.....

Mitchell Johnson is pretty awesome too, but only when bowls at 150 kph.....

Users who are viewing this thread