I got served by willow. Anyone else?

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bought world cup from TVNSports. For a long time I thought TVNSports was legal :facepalm

Do I have company here? What are you guys planning on doing ?

----
This email is being sent to you from Willow TV International, Inc. ("Willow TV"), which owns the exclusive rights to distribute and stream cricket matches in the United States and Canada, as well as the rest of North America, including the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 and the national cricket matches for Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa amongst other boards, for the 2010-2011 season ("Copyright Protected Matches"). Willow TV filed a Federal lawsuit against various website owners that we allege illegally sold pirated downloads and video streams of the Copyright Protected Matches. A copy of the abbreviated lawsuit filed in court in available here. Willow TV subpoenaed the records of these various websites and the evidence indicates that you purchased at least one of the illegal streams offered by at least one of these defendants in violation of law.

It is a violation of Willow TV's copyright and the law to purchase or view the illegal stream whether it was knowing or unknowing. Under 17 U.S.C ? 501 et seq., anyone who participates in the infringement of a copyright is liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 per infringement, and up to $150,000 if the infringement is willful.

Willow TV will fully pursue this lawsuit to the fullest extent of the law against those who operate businesses and illegally provide pirated cricket matches in violation of their rights; however, it has no interest in pursuing a lawsuit against the viewers and fans of cricket matches, so we would like to deal with the evidence that has been presented to us in the best way possible.

We would like to provide you a way out of the continued exposure to liability that comes with viewing cricket matches illegally through pirated websites.

Complete Release and Waiver of Liability Offer.

Willow TV will provide you with a onetime release of all claims and liability for any and all past illegal downloads or streaming views of cricket matches you may have purchased or viewed from any of the defendants listed in the attached lawsuit. The release will be provided on the condition that you commit to watching any of your future cricket matches legally through Willow TV Live for the next year. The authorized service is currently $14.99/month and allows you, the customer, to watch the live video streaming of all cricket content offered by Willow TV, on its website Willow TV Live (and on its channel on YouTube, and on smartphones, etc.) for a period of one year. Willow TV is the official license holder for various cricket boards worldwide for this period (including Cricket boards of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England and others), and it is the only way to watch these matches legally in North America. After the
12 month period, on request, you will receive a release of all past claims and liability from Willow TV for any crickets matches you may have purchased or viewed in violation of Willow TV's exclusive rights to distribute and stream those matches in North America.

If you wish to take advantage of this offer for a full release of liability please visit the website Willow TV Live, and purchase the monthly package of $14.99. (Or you can directly buy it by clicking here). Please use the same email id to which this email is sent, as your login id on willow.tv while making the purchase.

After one year of continued service, the release email will be sent to you on request to [email protected].

Alternatively, if you have subscribed to the Willow Cricket Channel on DISH Network or DIRECTV, you can email [email protected] with a copy of your bill showing your active subscription, with your first and last name indicated clearly as the subscriber on file.

If you do not wish to commit to viewing cricket matches legally through Willow TV you may contact us and we will provide you with a settlement demand based on the number of your purchases and streaming views of cricket matches that were in violation of Willow TV's rights ($200 per match or $1000 for a package purchased from a pirate site) and a release will be provided after final settlement, or simply do nothing and we will continue our investigation against you and we may be forced to name you as a defendant to the lawsuit. If you are named as a defendant we will pursue the full statutory damages provided in 17 U.S.C ? 501 et seq.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Holy crap nonsense. Willow is basically forcing you to subscribe with them for one year and are blackmailing you of dire consequences if you dont comply. I am not sure if they will be really able to sue you of any damages. If you subscribe to their package, you have no guarantee that they will let you cancel after the one year, etc. Consult with a lawyer and proceed.

P

pcfan123

wow, fearsome tweak watching cricket.

----------

can you tell us some more info, for others who might want to avoid a similar situation. Did you pay for a stream from a different site? or use the free streams?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Good thing I'm already a willow subscriber then...

P

pcfan123

kX4GE.png

teamindia

Club Cricketer
wow, fried chicken watching cricket.

----------

can you tell us some more info, for others who might want to avoid a similar situation. Did you pay for a stream from a different site? or use the free streams?

Yep I payed some 30$ for the worldcup to tvnsports. WIllow shutdown tvnsports and got my (and all subscriber info). Now they are threatening. I see some other people have got the same notice

Willow TV: Legal Notice and Offer of Settlement - Page 2 - Slickdeals.net
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1160572/

I am not even in US. So not sure how that law will apply.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I am not even in US. So not sure how that law will apply.
'which owns the exclusive rights to distribute and stream cricket matches in the United States and Canada, as well as the rest of North America'

If you aren't in those areas, they can't touch you, because you wouldn't have infringed their rights.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
'which owns the exclusive rights to distribute and stream cricket matches in the United States and Canada, as well as the rest of North America'

If you aren't in those areas, they can't touch you, because you wouldn't have infringed their rights.

I am in Canada and they have quoted US laws. Canadian laws are a bit confusing. Some people say it is even legal to download pirated material for personal use. There has never been a case were any company has gone behind people who bought or downloaded pirated material. We pay tax on every cd/hdd sold that goes to the media companies. I will probably email them and ask what laws I broke in Canada.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
@teamindia: i just read that forum from slickdeals. as people are saying there, this seems to be an attempt by willow to blackmail people into buying their cricket streaming package and increase their customer base. Since they offer cricket for a flat rate these days, they want more people to achieve a higher economies of scale, so they are doing it. Just sit back and relax. Nothing will happen. Even if something happens, you can get to it when it comes.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I am in Canada and they have quoted US laws.
Considering you're Canadian, you probably will have somewhat decent consumer protection organisations/ombudsmen unlike the US - which should be able to give you advice. I wouldn't suggest ignoring it outright, but I certainly wouldn't suggest just falling for it and paying up when you had no reason to doubt it.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Sent them a reply asking for more information. Especially quote the laws that I broke in Canada. Let us see how it goes. Most likely I am not going to hear from them :cheers

P

pcfan123

If you live in Canada then tell them to go fearsome tweak themselves. You are not bound by any American laws.

I would tell them to f themselves if I got it in America too. They won't pursue litigation cause it's not worth it to them .

Either way stay away from Willow, they worked like Nazis to get a market monopoly, well let them have it.

Users who are viewing this thread