ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

spooony

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I never understood why people didn't find this important/interesting. In an age when ODI cricket has lost significance, there needs to be a revival of multilateral and tri-series to foster a greater sense of achievement. Personally, I am disappointed that it is being done away with, because I have not watched a single bilateral ODI series in quite a few years (except for India vs Pakistan). I miss the days of VB Series, Sharjah, etc. The calendar needs more events like this, Asia Cup, CB Series, Natwest Series (both with fewer games in the group stage), etc.

I'm looking forward to this.

Ask someone in 20 years time who won the ODI series between ENG and Australia for example and they would go huh GTFO!

Now ask anyone who won a test series and most would be able to remember that.

bigred

Club Captain
On paper, if England get there strongest 11 on the park, they will be very hard to beat at home.
Cook
Bell
Trott
Pietersen
Morgan
Buttler
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson.

No real weak links. Bresnan may be the only one who doesn't make it because of his injury.

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
On paper, if England get there strongest 11 on the park, they will be very hard to beat at home.
Cook
Bell
Trott
Pietersen
Morgan
Buttler
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson.

No real weak links. Bresnan may be the only one who doesn't make it because of his injury.

I'd prefer Chris Woakes ahead of Bresnan . Woakes was fairly well to do in the ANZ 2013 Series . Right?

bigred

Club Captain
Yeah Woakes did OK. i'd would still prefer a fully fit bresnan though. bowls a heavier ball which you need to give international batters the hurry up. he also has a few more change up deliveries.

bopara is another i wouldn't mind filling that slot. despite the terribe recent test record, he's played some important one day innings', and he has been one of the top one day domestic bowlers for the last two seasons.

spooony

Club Captain
Can't really see us do anything but fail again. We rely on too many individuals performing rather doing it as a team like in the Test matches.

Last edited:

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
I believe ICC Champions trophy is going to the test format(after this last one day one)?

Epic

Panel of Selectors
It's being done with, it'll be replaced by the World Test Championship, which is 4 years away.

----------

It actually could've happened this year, but the ICC ran into some "financial problems"... :rolleyes

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
doesn't even have the top 8 teams anymore. bangladesh jumped NZ with their tie in the series in sri lanka. what a joke of a tournament.

The ICC site and cricinfo still have NZ ranked 8th in all three formats. :p

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I never understood why people didn't find this important/interesting. In an age when ODI cricket has lost significance, there needs to be a revival of multilateral and tri-series to foster a greater sense of achievement. Personally, I am disappointed that it is being done away with, because I have not watched a single bilateral ODI series in quite a few years (except for India vs Pakistan). I miss the days of VB Series, Sharjah, etc. The calendar needs more events like this, Asia Cup, CB Series, Natwest Series (both with fewer games in the group stage), etc.

I'm looking forward to this.

Agree about tri series. It always means so much more when you have to qualify for a final and beat out another team to win the cup. Makes it more interesting, things like Net RR and bonus point come into play and bring the best out of your players. You would never see an innings like Kohli's blitzkreig vs Sri Lanka last year in Hobart (?) in a bilateral series. Almost all of my most favorite ODI memories are from mutli nation tournaments like Sachin in Sarjah (vs Australia, Pakistan, Henry Olanga etc), Natwest Series, World Cups...

I dont know why the ICC doesn't organize more tri nation tournaments. Are they really that tough to schedule? Bilateral ODIs need to be done away with!

Why not tri nation test series too??

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
They are not tough to schedule, but with the decrease in popularity of ODIs, it has become even harder to attract spectators for the matches between the two away sides.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Come on. Countries like Australia, England, and SA would see packed crowds for India/Pak/WI/SL matches

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
cause they've not updated it yet.

Reliance ICC Rankings, ICC ODI Team Rankings, ICC Rankings Predictor

put in bangladesh's win and they'll be on 84, NZ are on 82.

There is always a cut-off date for qualification. I don`t think Bangladesh were ahead of NZ in the rankings when they did the draw for the tournaments. World Cups/Champions Trophy events are scheduled at least a year in advance to ease the ticket sales and marketing. I don`t think there is anything farcical about that. You would see that with any major tournament. Many many times, even in soccer a major team fails to qualify at the expense of a smaller nation (also less talented nations) to the main draw.

----------

Iam for once, eagerly looking ahead to this event. Its going to be awesome if the English weather is kind to us.

Users who are viewing this thread