ICC Champions Trophy 2017

Karachi

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Exactly. Most of the people consider Virat as next Sachin Tendukar (even I do for some similarities in quality between the two) Maybe this is one of them?

Kohli in many ways is better then Sachin. But that is only if you consider how cricket is played today. He is aggressive, whereas Sachin was moderate. But Sachin Syndrome could be a commonality. We need to wait a little more to find out. Essentially, players awarded captaincy based on stardom - instead of readiness & willingness - tend to face such performance & decision-making problems.

Successful captains like Imran Khan & Steve Waugh had been around enough time not just to understand their own abilities but also of all the opponents of their times. Though they were superstars if you look at their stats & performance you'll realise they never focused on big scores for themselves but on innings & bowling figures that would contribute to team's victory. They were also risk takers & would take maverick decisions. I.e. Imran promoted Wasim Akram to middle order in place of Salim Malik during WC'92 Final knowing that Wasim not only could but would slog. If you listen to their interviews & follow their captaincy methods over the years you'll realise they were willing to risk stardom & their captaincy for victory - ironically that only ended up strengthening their captaincy. Sachin as a captain was reluctant to take risk. Kohli today was reluctant as well. i.e. he could have sent Pandya up the order. On the other hand, Sarfaraz - though still learning the traits - risked shuffling the batting order today & it paid off.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
19224959_252316848584152_8027248781975088939_n.jpg

You should be grateful that we saved you from such a disaster :p

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Knee-jerk reactions.

First of all, Pandya qualifies ahead of Jadhav as a No.6 alone. Common perception was, Jadhav is a batsman capable of rescuing us from 100-4 but Pandya isn't. Rubbish! I'm not doubting Jadhav, but just because Pandya's style is to attack and attack hard doesn't mean he's not fit for the job. We have an obsession with numbers and statistics. Just look at each innings that Pandya played in the IPL and prior to that in the domestic ODI's and T20's. He strikes them CLEAN. A lot like MSD in his prime. He needs to be developed and tempered in the right vein under the guidance of MSD. For me, he's a no brainer @ 6.

Secondly, Yuvraj was the guy who won us the game against this same attack in the first game minus Wahab Riaz. (boy did I miss him today!) MSD's keeping as usual went unnoticed in this series which generally means your keeper has done a terrific job and he was once again able to make a few contributions of substance with the bat. I think he's priceless at No.5 and I would gladly have him for the 2019 WC, even on current form. I have repeatedly said that Ashwin is a LIABILITY in limited overs! Hell, I won't buy his test accolades till he does something outside the dust bowls he bowls on! Jadeja needs to go as well. He can't be in the side for his fielding! He doesn't qualify as a batsman, and doesn't qualify as a bowler either!!

In my honest opinion? I don't rate either of Dhawan's or Sharma's runs in this tournament. Let's face it. India hardly played a quality attack this series. The SA game was over already when India trundled out to bat!

My honest, unbiased ODI team for India is as follows-

Pant
R Sharma
Kohli
Yuvraj
MS Dhoni
Pandya
B Kumar
K Yadav
M Shami
J Bumrah
Y Chahal

I'd have Dhawan and Jadhav as back up batters.. U Yadav as back up seamer and may be Axar Patel as someone who I can introduce instead of Chahal if the batting doesn't click!

I liked the line where you say "I don't rate either of Sharma or Dhawan's runs this tournament....". I too DON'T, EITHER!! In most of the games, both Rohit and Dhawan played for themselves and their own form/runs rather than the team. Despite scoring mountain of runs, neither of them displayed much respect towards the team situation. Only last game did Rohit try an unusually aggressive shot and got out (I actually didn't criticise him for it because I was so happy he finally showed intent early in the innings). To me, this pair might seem statistically successful, but should not last into the WC. Once KL Rahul returns back, he should become a permanent fixture in ODI's as opener. To me, Rohit's only option is to bat down the order and be given instructions to play more aggressively. Also Rahane inspires zero confidence in any format apart from tests. I would actually want us to drop Rahane from the squad itself and have a backup option that we are inspired to try in the XI. Hope someone tells selectors to try Uthappa again. On these flat batting wickets, Uthappa would've plundered runs and also at a much faster pace.

Two years is still a good enough time to try out options before we hone in on our squad for the WC. But it has to start NOW. Good that Kuldeep Yadav and Pant are given a chance in the upcoming West Indies tour.

When that guy cries, the guys behind are smiling? And also that guy who breaks the TV into pieces, is smiling as he does it. So do you really get the point of all this? Its so numbingly scripted and acted out like a reality TV show.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I liked the line where you say "I don't rate either of Sharma or Dhawan's runs this tournament....". I too DON'T, EITHER!! In most of the games, both Rohit and Dhawan played for themselves and their own form/runs rather than the team. Despite scoring mountain of runs, neither of them displayed much respect towards the team situation. Only last game did Rohit try an unusually aggressive shot and got out (I actually didn't criticise him for it because I was so happy he finally showed intent early in the innings). To me, this pair might seem statistically successful, but should not last into the WC. Once KL Rahul returns back, he should become a permanent fixture in ODI's as opener. To me, Rohit's only option is to bat down the order and be given instructions to play more aggressively. Also Rahane inspires zero confidence in any format apart from tests. I would actually want us to drop Rahane from the squad itself and have a backup option that we are inspired to try in the XI. Hope someone tells selectors to try Uthappa again. On these flat batting wickets, Uthappa would've plundered runs and also at a much faster pace.

Two years is still a good enough time to try out options before we hone in on our squad for the WC. But it has to start NOW. Good that Kuldeep Yadav and Pant are given a chance in the upcoming West Indies tour.

Thank God someone agrees. Don't you feel our template in the limited overs is a tad outdated? Set up and explode? I mean, Dhawan made a 125 odd run a ball and that simply in my opinion isn't good enough anymore. Rahane is a disaster to be honest with you. His game has not evolved one bit! I think we can accept that Uthappa has been passed by the selectors as a journeyman.. but some of these young guys need to be given a run now! I also feel the likes of Pandey etc. really need to push Yuvraj. Keeper batsman? I still don't see any competition to MS! I have seen Pant's glovework and it's average! What we really need is a good bowling A/R. A bit like Woakes.. I'm convinced of Pandya's ability.. I have been for a while!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Thank God someone agrees. Don't you feel our template in the limited overs is a tad outdated? Set up and explode? I mean, Dhawan made a 125 odd run a ball and that simply in my opinion isn't good enough anymore. Rahane is a disaster to be honest with you. His game has not evolved one bit! I think we can accept that Uthappa has been passed by the selectors as a journeyman.. but some of these young guys need to be given a run now! I also feel the likes of Pandey etc. really need to push Yuvraj. Keeper batsman? I still don't see any competition to MS! I have seen Pant's glovework and it's average! What we really need is a good bowling A/R. A bit like Woakes.. I'm convinced of Pandya's ability.. I have been for a while!

If you had followed my post since this tournament started, I was shouting out that our style of batting in ODI's is outdated. The way Rohit batted against Pakistan in Edgbaston, the way both Rohit/Dhawan batted against Sri Lanka, were all poor innings. It hurt us against Sri Lanka (luckily didn't against Pakistan, who at that time were poor). When Rohit actually tried to score quickly at the start, he got out against South Africa. Rohit is clearly not the guy who should bat at the top. Dhawan can bat, if he assumes the proper role and plays according to the role than for himself. One opener must be aggressive, the other one must be the sheet anchor. Both can't be doing the same. After the opening game, Pakistan brilliantly found Fakhar Zaman to complement Azhar Ali's languid and anchoring style of batting. Zaman's daring game actually gave Pakistan the impetus for a really huge total today.

Pandey should have played this tournament for Yuvraj, but Pandey got injured last minute in IPL and was replaced by Karthik (who was a passenger). And Rohit/Dhawan didn't allow anyone else to have a proper bat in the middle. I like Pandya but till he really improves his bowling, he can't be the fifth bowler. He can be a batsman, who can bowl (sixth bowler). Pant can play while Dhoni is still around. They should somehow find a place for Pant in the XI alongwith Dhoni or Pant should be in the squad while Dhoni is playing. Pant needs to pick up stuff from MS. Dhoni started off as an average keeper too but he really got in because of his exemplary batting and as he progressed, his keeping drastically improved. He is still not among India's all time best wicketkeepers in terms of skill behind the stumps (Kirmani, Engineer, More all come ahead of him and maybe even Nayan Mongia might give Dhoni a good run when it comes to keeping). But Dhoni is incredibly safe and street smart.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Wanted to say this then but forgot - ICC should pressurize boards to clamp down on offensive/vulgar/inappropriate language on field. If anyone is caught mouthing such language on field and is picked up by camera, the first offence should be a 5 match suspension and a subsequent offence should be two years and a third should be life ban.

Its frustrating to see influential players mouth words on the field that are so embarrassing to watch. For e.g. after getting Rohit Sharma out, Amir uttered the 'MC' word and it was so blatantly picked up by the camera, that too in good slow motion. I know a lot of Indian players are also guilty of this behavior (shining example is our captain sir!) and I have said so many times that such behavior is highly irritating and do not give the right inspiration to the youngsters watching. Hope something soon is implemented to tackle this menace.

S

Satan666

Wanted to say this then but forgot - ICC should pressurize boards to clamp down on offensive/vulgar/inappropriate language on field. If anyone is caught mouthing such language on field and is picked up by camera, the first offence should be a 5 match suspension and a subsequent offence should be two years and a third should be life ban.

Its frustrating to see influential players mouth words on the field that are so embarrassing to watch. For e.g. after getting Rohit Sharma out, Amir uttered the 'MC' word and it was so blatantly picked up by the camera, that too in good slow motion. I know a lot of Indian players are also guilty of this behavior (shining example is our captain sir!) and I have said so many times that such behavior is highly irritating and do not give the right inspiration to the youngsters watching. Hope something soon is implemented to tackle this menace.

Oh grow up! In every sport there is some sort of banter! Once it dont end up physical the ICC will do nothing because those players are humans also. Get a grip and stop being a sore loser.[DOUBLEPOST=1497827750][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh grow up! In every sport there is some sort of banter! Once it dont end up physical the ICC will do nothing because those players are humans also. Get a grip and stop being a sore loser.

The Australian teams have sledges worse for decades and the Indians are right up there with him. Give me a god damn break!

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Came across this via Whatsapp.

17903486_1488591941163956_4634095171604572864_n.jpg

It wouldn't really have made a difference as far the game result was concerned, but it's still funny.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Kohli in many ways is better then Sachin. But that is only if you consider how cricket is played today. He is aggressive, whereas Sachin was moderate. But Sachin Syndrome could be a commonality. We need to wait a little more to find out. Essentially, players awarded captaincy based on stardom - instead of readiness & willingness - tend to face such performance & decision-making problems.

Successful captains like Imran Khan & Steve Waugh had been around enough time not just to understand their own abilities but also of all the opponents of their times. Though they were superstars if you look at their stats & performance you'll realise they never focused on big scores for themselves but on innings & bowling figures that would contribute to team's victory. They were also risk takers & would take maverick decisions. I.e. Imran promoted Wasim Akram to middle order in place of Salim Malik during WC'92 Final knowing that Wasim not only could but would slog. If you listen to their interviews & follow their captaincy methods over the years you'll realise they were willing to risk stardom & their captaincy for victory - ironically that only ended up strengthening their captaincy. Sachin as a captain was reluctant to take risk. Kohli today was reluctant as well. i.e. he could have sent Pandya up the order. On the other hand, Sarfaraz - though still learning the traits - risked shuffling the batting order today & it paid off.

Pretty nice observation mate

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congratulations to Pakistan and commiserations to India. It was a dream tournament for both teams but in the end that old Pakistani aggression was too good for any team. Obviously there are a lots of positives for both teams but there are few weak points in both teams as well.
I'll try to post in Pakistan Cricket team's thread about Pakistan's positives and negatives.
As far as India is concerned, I guess Virat needs to be a little flexible. Both teams made a mistake of playing an extra spinner and it costed India the most because they were bowling first plus Pakistan got the start they were looking for, another seamer could have made things interesting. You guys have some very good pace bowlers but to ignite that all important aggression that we usually associate with world-class bowlers, you have to give them confidence. I feel India at time went to their shell and rely heavily on spinners, unless its a dust bowl India should go with 3 pacers, Pandya and 1 spinner because similar to Pakistan you have Jadav and Yuvraj to bowl a bit of spin if it suddenly starts to turn. I usually don't follow Indian cricket and we don't play much so Good luck to team India in future and may we have a India Pakistan series soon.

B

Bigby Wolf

Batting wins you matches ,bowling wins you tournaments - this is indeed true.Yes Indian batting collapsed yesterday but it was some brilliant bowling from Aamir initially which triggered it and not to forget Hassan Ali - the Golden Ball winner and the leading wickettaker of the tournament who provided crucial breakthroughs in the middle overs throughout the tournament and well complemented by the rest of the Pakistani bowlers.
Indian on the other hand after the defeat against SL went the other way round .i.e. instead of adding another bowler they strengthen their batting which turned out to be a defensive or negative tactic. Also the form of the two frontline spinners didn't help either both Ashwin and Jadeja were lackluster and didn't provide enough pressure in the middle overs barring a couple of games.India have the resources of Umesh Yadav who was dropped after the one bad game or Mohammed Shami who has outstanding one day record in his short international career 47 matches 87 wickets with an average of 24.11 ,he went for runs in the warmup game against NZ but picked did pick 3 wickets.Not sure what was the idea of team management of not trying him even for a single game.Bhuvi was excellent with the new as well as in the death but needed a partner to penetrate more pressure at the other end.Bumrah might be a good death bowler but was pretty ordinary with new ball.
Also the big tournaments that India have won over the years bowlers played a crucial role.
1983 - Roger Binny leading wickettaker alongside Kapil Dev and bowlers like Mohinder Amarnath ,Madan Lal and Sandhu played a pivotal role.

2007 WT20 - Irfan Pathan joint highest wickettaker.

2011 WC - Zaheer Khan.

2013 CT - Ravindra Jadeja Golden ball winner.

So yes we might have a very strong batting lineup but we need bowlers who can pick up 20 wickets and the playing 11 that India opted for the last 3 games did well in the first 2 due to some brilliant piece of fieldinf and that one of spell Kedar Jadhav but was horribly exposed in the final.

Users who are viewing this thread