ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

Bigby Wolf

SL possibly lucky to get these 2 valuable points don't they would have won 2 out of 2 after nearly escaping a narrow victory against Afghanistan.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Sri Lanka just had 2 games that was washed out. I am really hoping Pakistan play tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1560259871][/DOUBLEPOST]If all teams have at least one game washed out then it will become fair then:D

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Sri Lanka just had 2 games that was washed out. I am really hoping Pakistan play tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1560259871][/DOUBLEPOST]If all teams have at least one game washed out then it will become fair then:D

It is going that way now. IND-NZ is a sure washout. That means IND-NZ-PAK-WI-SA-SL-BAN would all be involved in washouts. Not ideal but uniform.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I was thinking more along the lines of Rahul opening the batting and DK coming in at 4. I don't think Shankar's recent form will inspire the management to put him at that number 4 spot. I don't think they want Dhoni to bat at number 4 so I guess the only logical solution is to bring DK in at 4.

Also, how come Mitch Marsh is allowed to come in as a cover but we can't have anyone come in for Dhawan? From what I understand, Stoinis injury is not even as serious as he is bound to miss only 1 game but from the couple of reports I have read, Dhawan is out for at least 3 weeks.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I really like the idea of Rahul opening. He can be our Jason Roy type of player who can give us the much needed quick fire starts and we all know he can play long innings once in
The thing with Rahul is that he appears very vulnerable when opening. IPL is a different game altogether. In ODIs bowlers have more breathing room and can attack for a longer duration than a T20. If my memory serves me right, Tests in 2018-19 proved that.

Yes, he can play the long innings but for him to do that, survival of the early period is a must - something that I'm not very confident about.

As far as who else to open with, I've no suitable pick but am firm on not giving it to Rahul either.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
This world cup is a joke and can't be taken seriously tbh. So many games washed out with possibility of more being washed out as the weather is horrendous here.

But to have no reserve days? Pathetic...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Just to try and understand, what possibly could be the reason to NOT have a reserve day? Is there a commercial reason for it?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Considering the seriousness of this World Cup, I’d not waste energy and resources in bringing a replacement for Dhawan, if I were BCCI. I don’t think it’s too big a blow. Also it’s a 2 week thing. Let him rest and be available for the latter games. He’s an ICC tournament monster and keep him in and let him recover.

Open with Rahul and Rohit. Play Karthik as he offers a second hitting option at the back end if Pandya is promoted to 4 or 5 and gets out. If it seams around, play Shankar and have him at 4 and use his seam ups in helpful conditions. India can pick and choose depending on conditions (seeing the forecast, they might not have to worry about this for their next game).

Bevab

Staff Member
I was thinking more along the lines of Rahul opening the batting and DK coming in at 4. I don't think Shankar's recent form will inspire the management to put him at that number 4 spot. I don't think they want Dhoni to bat at number 4 so I guess the only logical solution is to bring DK in at 4.

Also, how come Mitch Marsh is allowed to come in as a cover but we can't have anyone come in for Dhawan? From what I understand, Stoinis injury is not even as serious as he is bound to miss only 1 game but from the couple of reports I have read, Dhawan is out for at least 3 weeks.

Pretty sure Marsh is in the team permanently and not just for one game, you can’t play any further in the tournament once replaced.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Just to try and understand, what possibly could be the reason to NOT have a reserve day? Is there a commercial reason for it?

The only reason I can think of is that it affects broadcasting.

But it is pathetic that a tournament of this magnitude has so many rain days already - I have a feeling this is might affect the running for the top 4.

Here is who I see as the top 4 - in no particular order:

1. India
2. England
3. Australia
4. New Zealand/Pakistan.

Its the positions of 3 and 4 that will be fought out between Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan.

Bevab

Staff Member
Lol, when did he become the best ODI all-rounder for Australia ? Watson was much better than him !!

Obviously meant to say present day mate. :p

Shahzad was supposedly pulled out by his board due to injury but the man claims that he’s fully fit and is shocked. Shouldn’t the ICC charge them if so? Also, isn’t he best ODI batsman in the side? Why would you make such a controversial decision now involving your best batsman? :facepalm

aditya123

National Board President
Surprisingly, tomorrows forecast is a lot better now. AUS v PAK might just happen. IND v NZ forecast is worse now.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I know some people will think @aditya123 is ranting a bit much about the rain and reserve day but I assure you he's not and that if one of the sub continent teams had been the host nation, a humongous hoopla and hue and cry would have been made out of this scenario. He is absolutely right in that, this tournament is a marquee event and not having a contingency plan in place seems and feels lazy, ignorant and dare I say it arrogant.

We have a situation now where NZ have hogged the points they needed to hog and any more washouts for them will be acceptable to them because they're not overwhelming favourites against anyone. Sri Lanka have a convenience of 2 points which I am assuming they would have 0 off. SA vs WI was an extremely extremely important fixture in the qualification of both teams. I think, WI will feel hard done there considering the situation of that game and where SA are with their cricket at the moment. So while this format awards consistency, the rain abandonment has made it a complete lottery for what we are assuming at this point as the 4th team to qualify. (WI, Pakistan, SA, Bangladesh, NZ)

I am assuming IND, ENG, AUS will make it. I am also assuming that SA and AFG won't. SA could have had a shout in if the WI game had gone their way.

aditya123

National Board President
I know some people will think @aditya123 is ranting a bit much about the rain and reserve day but I assure you he's not and that if one of the sub continent teams had been the host nation, a humongous hoopla and hue and cry would have been made out of this scenario. He is absolutely right in that, this tournament is a marquee event and not having a contingency plan in place seems and feels lazy, ignorant and dare I say it arrogant.

We have a situation now where NZ have hogged the points they needed to hog and any more washouts for them will be acceptable to them because they're not overwhelming favourites against anyone. Sri Lanka have a convenience of 2 points which I am assuming they would have 0 off. SA vs WI was an extremely extremely important fixture in the qualification of both teams. I think, WI will feel hard done there considering the situation of that game and where SA are with their cricket at the moment. So while this format awards consistency, the rain abandonment has made it a complete lottery for what we are assuming at this point as the 4th team to qualify. (WI, Pakistan, SA, Bangladesh, NZ)

I am assuming IND, ENG, AUS will make it. I am also assuming that SA and AFG won't. SA could have had a shout in if the WI game had gone their way.

I have a very simple argument for the ICC. If games can be rescheduled on short notice in the English Premier League or the IPL, why can`t we have proactive administrators for the pinnacle of our sport? Wimbledon every other year has a huge backlog of games due to the English weather and they manage to pull off the event because they are proactive. Most of the Wimbledon games are`nt televised either. If it has to be done for legitimacy, so be it. What does the broadcaster gain from a rained off match anyway that would be any different to a rescheduled fixture? These are lame excuses. England is also a tiny nation in size and moving teams around is no excuse either. These days you reliably know about the forecast a week in advance. If the hosts want to take cognizance, they would. England, time and again have not covered themselves in glory and almost seems like they don`t care enough. One just has to look at the scale of the WC when SA hosted it in 2003. Right from the farcical opening ceremony, the reception to this event has been lukewarm. Dare I say, this reminds me of the 2007 WC, with bigger crowds. Also, I don`t understand how venues that lack decent drainage (Bristol, Taunton etc) get to host WC games! Even when we could`ve fit games in and had sunshine, the outfields are soggy because they can`t cover the whole outfield apparently. For all the talk of this being the summer which captures the imagination of the English public, they`ve hosted an absolute shambolic event so far.

I have no doubt that the English press would be writing obituaries of the WC had this been in the subcontinent. As a fan of the sport, the least I expect is for the ICC to care about their pinnacle event. The only time I saw the ICC show any sense was during that CT 2013 final where they kept stretching the cutoff times. No regulations are beyond common sense. If 5 games are lost to rain in the first quarter of the event, why can`t they be rescheduled, even without full-scale TV broadcast! Most sides would agree.

Users who are viewing this thread