ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Damn this Lodha commission really hitting the BCCI hard, even though Monohar seemingly trying to undo the bad rep the board had under Srinivasam and Pawar. BCCI could bully & manipulate world cricket with their money & IPL - but not their own government/supreme court is having none of it!

'BCCI constitution incapable of achieving transparency' - Supreme Court | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

BCCI 'running a prohibitory regime' - Supreme Court | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

State associations will have to fall in line with Lodha reforms - Supreme Court | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

"You discharge a public function but you want to enjoy private status," Subramanium said. "If you have a public persona then you have to shed the private persona. This cannot be done. It [the BCCI] selects the national team for the country, it cannot be a private society. It is a public entity."

I wouldn't include the government there because they have nothing to do here (and that's good because the govt will be behind people with money). But yeah, India's Supreme Court will have none of it. BCCI has to budge at some point of time or face consequences.

grkrama

National Board President
I would just tell bcci to make things transparent as an order, other than that wouldn't want the govt takeover, cause politicians are bigger crooks , i see this as more of a power grab by bjp to get more foothold in there than anurag thakur!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would just tell bcci to make things transparent as an order, other than that wouldn't want the govt takeover, cause politicians are bigger crooks , i see this as more of a power grab by bjp to get more foothold in there than anurag thakur!

Government intervention is what has kept Sri Lanka and Pakistan cricket boards from further chaos and potentially it will be with West Indies cricket.[DOUBLEPOST=1462390105][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wouldn't include the government there because they have nothing to do here (and that's good because the govt will be behind people with money). But yeah, India's Supreme Court will have none of it. BCCI has to budge at some point of time or face consequences.

A country's supreme court although it acts independently is a branch of nations government that enforces the law though.

So far the BCCI seems to be budging to everything the Lodha commission has said, haven't notice any strong opposition.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Government intervention is what has kept Sri Lanka and Pakistan cricket boards from further chaos and potentially it will be with West Indies cricket.

totally different governments and structures, and the state of board, BCCI being as it is everyone will want to get their slice of pie, if politicians get in there! Govt or supreme court should intervene to make bcci more transparent nothing more nothing less!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Government intervention is what has kept Sri Lanka and Pakistan cricket boards from further chaos and potentially it will be with West Indies cricket.[DOUBLEPOST=1462390105][/DOUBLEPOST]

A country's supreme court although it acts independently is a branch of nations government that enforces the law though.

So far the BCCI seems to be budging to everything the Lodha commission has said, haven't notice any strong opposition.

That's not how it will work in India. In India most of the time, work done by private parties tend to have a more positive effect. A lot of us Indian fans do not want the BCCI to fall totally into the hands of the Indian govt, more so the current one ruled by the BJP. Our Indian politicians are notorious for showing up where there is loads of money involved and do everything in their power to ensure that their pockets are filled.

Supreme Court might be put together by the government, but the Supreme Court has the power to tell the government what it should do and can harm the government if things are not done right.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

More players from Punjab to play for India. Thakur immediately after becoming secretary was instrumental in getting the big ticket India - Pakistan T20 WC game to Dharmashala (Dharmashala is in Himachal Pradesh, where Thakur hails from). Its another story that the game didn't take place there.

I am not too excited at this news. But the sad truth is, there are not many other reliable and good candidates.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
More players from Punjab to play for India. Thakur immediately after becoming secretary was instrumental in getting the big ticket India - Pakistan T20 WC game to Dharmashala (Dharmashala is in Himachal Pradesh, where Thakur hails from). Its another story that the game didn't take place there.

I am not too excited at this news. But the sad truth is, there are not many other reliable and good candidates.

Yea I've noticed the influence Thakur has in BCCI, seems a bit odd that too that he a member of parliament and BCCI secretary too, somehow don't think that would happen in much other places around the world, where that would be considered an obvious conflict of interest. Wonder if the Lodha commission would eventually bring that up against him.

S

Satan666

I really dont know what more these people can do to bring the game disrepute!

Like they are hell bent owning everything and everyone in cricket.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The thing people need to understand is Shashank Manohar being elected as ICC chairman is a very good thing. What he did with BCCI in a short while has been amazing. This is the reason I wanted him to stay as the BCCI president. ICC might be able to find someone like him but we don't have anyone right now in India who can replicate his job at BCCI. Rajeev Shukla is an asshole and I don't know much about Anurag Thakur. From the reports, it looks like Anurag Thakur is going to be the next BCCI president.

Users who are viewing this thread