ICC should let bowlers 'prepare' the ball - Donald

Should 'ball tampering' be allowed?

• Total voters

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ICC should let bowlers 'prepare' the ball - Donald | South Africa Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Donald isn't the first fast bowler to make this case; in the mid-1990s, Sir Richard Hadlee had also asked for ball-tampering to be legalised. "As long as the bowlers or fielders use whatever means they have on their persons, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm talking about the use of a finger nail to scratch the ball, not bottle tops or those sorts of things," Hadlee wrote in a newspaper column at the time.

This sort of 'tampering' seems reasonable to me and could help prevent the shift of the game towards the batsman. To see the ball hooping around corners would be perfect for spectators and would really give highly skilled swing bowlers such as Jimmy Anderson the wickets that, perhaps, they deserve.

Edit: I wrote an article on the issue, check it out here

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I was just reading this and wondered how long it would take to be put onto a thread.

Personally I feel it's a fairly good idea, It is a very batsmen dominated game at the moment, and the pitches are slowly becoming flatter and flatter. It could re invigorate bowling in the game!

International Coach
ya i dont agree with it,changing the condition of the ball on purpose should always be considered cheating.

Tejas Tendulkar

School Cricketer
I think that ball-tampering should be allowed to ensure that cricket does not become highly biased towards the batsman, but they should only use fingernails and other things which the players carry onto the field, rather than things like bottle caps. It also means that the players will have to be checked for these sort of things before they go onto the field.

Tejas Tendulkar

School Cricketer
I agree with Manee and Holdenator, but the players will have to be checked before they are allowed to take the field.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
If teams/groundsmen are going to keep preparing the sort of pitches we saw in West Indies earlier in the year, or Pakistan, then yes I would agree. Why should bowlers have to toil for 130+ overs, knowing that they won't get the opposition all-out and it's just a case of keeping going until they declare, or feel like playing a few shots.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
gig-swiss-knife.jpg

looks like bowlers will have new Sponsor.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
No idea but it should not be allowed richard hadlee done that i am shocked about it.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
ya i dont agree with it,changing the condition of the ball on purpose should always be considered cheating.

So can we no longer shine the ball on our trousers as that is changing the condition of the ball?

Users who are viewing this thread