zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wow, we've got a Mr angry in here.
I know you didn't quote anyone and you said in general. But, If you are referring to me, I am not angry ;p I am infact smiling now.

If you are not referring to me, well.... ignore the post.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Most people outside India believe that Root is better than Kohli. I'm one of them. Might have something to do with the fact that Kohli is a very unlikeable character.

May be in UK? I have a few Australians and South African friends here at university who are huge fans of both but rates root least out of the top 4 (Kohli, Williamson, Smith, Root) we have right now. Just on the mere fact that Root hasn't had any substantial score outside UK. However, I don't agree with that part. I do think Kohli is better than Root in fact he is currently the best batsman in world cricket in LIMITED OVERS format. Its a bit embarrassing when people argue on that because the consistency and dominance he has shown while batting for India in limited overs is amazing.

For you to judge someone as "unlikable cricketer", you first need to understand the culture that he is coming from. Kohli is from Delhi where an individual needs to keep fighting to earn their place and dignity whether it is cricket, work or life in general. That's an explanation of a typical Delhi guy and Kohli was brought up with that mentality and he is showcasing that at International level right now. The thing you also need to understand is that he does have a "superstar" tag here in India because cricket is so big here. In Indian team right now, the only other person with that tag is MS Dhoni. However, he is not there in tests right now, so all the attention is on Kohli. I remember in the T20 series we recently played in Australia, Kohli had a go at Smith after Smith got out. Everybody thought that Kohli was giving Smith a send off but what they didn't know is Smith consistently tried to sledge the likes of Hardik Pandya and Bumrah before. However, you wouldn't know that since Smith was not in focus at that time, it was Kohli. Whatever Kohli does becomes a news. You talked about Stokes as a "A humble northern lad who just likes batting and bowling". That is not the case if you are seeing him for first time outside UK. He comes across as an aggressive mother****er who will do anything to win a game for his team. However, you describe him as "humble northern lad" because you know his journey to national team and the culture that he is coming from. Kohli is a similar character as Stokes because they both will be the hardest working people in their team and will give absolutely anything to win for their team. Since Kohli has got the test captaincy officially, he has calmed down. However, people also need to realize that is not his nature and sometimes, that aggressive side will show up but what's important is he is trying to control himself for better.

So just saying that Kohli is a very "unlikable character" or "arrogant little twat" doesn't justify the fact that Root is better than him. You need to understand why he is like that and what has he done to overcome that since he has achieved success.

bigred

Club Captain
May be in UK? I have a few Australians and South African friends here at university who are huge fans of both but rates root least out of the top 4 (Kohli, Williamson, Smith, Root) we have right now. Just on the mere fact that Root hasn't had any substantial score outside UK. However, I don't agree with that part. I do think Kohli is better than Root in fact he is currently the best batsman in world cricket in LIMITED OVERS format. Its a bit embarrassing when people argue on that because the consistency and dominance he has shown while batting for India in limited overs is amazing.

For you to judge someone as "unlikable cricketer", you first need to understand the culture that he is coming from. Kohli is from Delhi where an individual needs to keep fighting to earn their place and dignity whether it is cricket, work or life in general. That's an explanation of a typical Delhi guy and Kohli was brought up with that mentality and he is showcasing that at International level right now. The thing you also need to understand is that he does have a "superstar" tag here in India because cricket is so big here. In Indian team right now, the only other person with that tag is MS Dhoni. However, he is not there in tests right now, so all the attention is on Kohli. I remember in the T20 series we recently played in Australia, Kohli had a go at Smith after Smith got out. Everybody thought that Kohli was giving Smith a send off but what they didn't know is Smith consistently tried to sledge the likes of Hardik Pandya and Bumrah before. However, you wouldn't know that since Smith was not in focus at that time, it was Kohli. Whatever Kohli does becomes a news. You talked about Stokes as a "A humble northern lad who just likes batting and bowling". That is not the case if you are seeing him for first time outside UK. He comes across as an aggressive mother****er who will do anything to win a game for his team. However, you describe him as "humble northern lad" because you know his journey to national team and the culture that he is coming from. Kohli is a similar character as Stokes because they both will be the hardest working people in their team and will give absolutely anything to win for their team. Since Kohli has got the test captaincy officially, he has calmed down. However, people also need to realize that is not his nature and sometimes, that aggressive side will show up but what's important is he is trying to control himself for better.

So just saying that Kohli is a very "unlikable character" or "arrogant little twat" doesn't justify the fact that Root is better than him. You need to understand why he is like that and what has he done to overcome that since he has achieved success.

I have nothing against aggression and competitiveness. Stokes is aggressive and I have no problem with Kohli being aggressive. Being arrogant and intensely unpopular don't stem from his cricketing aggression. My stance in this isn't as strong as my friends, who quite frankly hate him. That's not because he is really good, because they have loved players like Graeme Smith, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and Steve Waugh. I actually think he's in the world's best three players. I don't think he's as good as Root.

As for Root's substantial innings' bring in England:

His test debut in India???
His recent test series against SA???
His recent test series in UAE???
The t20 WC in India??

Not sure about that.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't think he's as good as Root.

It's alright but just watch Kohli's inning against Australia in this recently concluded T20 WC when you have some free time. Once you have watched it, let me know if Root has ever played an inning like that in his limited over career.

bigred

Club Captain
It's alright but just watch Kohli's inning against Australia in this recently concluded T20 WC when you have some free time. Once you have watched it, let me know if Root has ever played an inning like that in his limited over career.

I watched it live. I also watched the Root innings against SA live. Anything else you want me to watch?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I watched it live. I also watched the Root innings against SA live. Anything else you want me to watch?

LOL If you are comparing that inning with Root's inning against South Africa, I think I am wasting my time here.

bigred

Club Captain
Oh boy, if only there was more to cricket than strike rate.

I don't know why you guys get so upset by it. Clearly you are going to think Kohli is better, and equally I'll prefer Root.

grkrama

National Board President
eltonjohn.jpg

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Keep calm everyone Williamson is the best

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yash rases a very good and valid point. Also you guys are basically arguing about favourite series. No matter how much you try the other guy isn't going to budge. Also I'd like to add that someone forgot Ab and Hash in their best batsmen but I'll forgive as they're from a different generation. Also just to state how I feel I'd take Root in Tests and Kohli in ODIs and Dane Paterson in everything else...

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Badree should have got the MOTS. Going at less than six an over bowling in the powerplay in this batsman-dominated era is more remarkable than whatever Kohli's average while chasing is. *grabs popcorn*

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
LOL doesn't that put MORE pressure on him? Kohli basically carried the the Indian batting and led them to semi final on his own. Root didn't have to carry England's batting because both Roy and Butler were also doing well. Kohli also batted on all the surfaces which were slow and low compared to Root who mostly batted on batting friendly surfaces apart from Final.

That's ridiculous. Yes there is some pressure but a home crowd chanting your name should gee you up. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with you. Who dislikes support?

And Joe saved England at least on 2 occassions. It's not his fault the so called "superstars of India" couldn't back Kohli up.

But I repeat, there's not much between the two. I'm sure you'll keep saying Kohli and that's fine but Root was better imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread