ICC World T20 India 2016 - March/April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Let me make this clear to you that Indian crowd is not like other country crowd where they support only the home team. Apart from Women's matches, there was full house for all the games for Men's matches irrespective of host/home team or away/visiting team.

I can't control my laughter reading this. If you are unaware about "Asia Cup" then watch the highlights of all the matches played by India in "Bangladesh". The crowd was giving their support to only Host team. Apart from India-Pakistan match, there was no crowd for games played by other teams. It was a full house for all the matches where Bangladesh team was involved.

Let me alter your statement - Virat played in alien conditions, often with hostile crowds, with a crop of entirely out-of-form/flop players and not only scored lots of runs but Won us the Asia Cup single handedly. Btw it was a bowling pitch providing no assistance for batsmen.

(Virat scored 80+ runs and grabbed the wicket of Johnson Charles in the semies who was playing fantastically)

So did Virat. He was consistent in Australia where he was highest run scorer with 3 fifties. He was the highest run scorer in Bangladesh where he score 2-3 fifties and missed one due to bad umpiring (although he scored 49 in that match) and same in WT20. The series which I mentioned includes 2 "Away" and 1 "Home".

Please don't get me wrong. I couldn't resist myself reading those post of yours' praising Root over Kohli. I do respect Joe and his game and I'm proud that he played well away from home and was a key to England's success in getting into the Finals. He was also in my Fantasy Team.

Well played Joe but you are not as best as Kohli.

Asia Cup? we were talking about the world t20.[DOUBLEPOST=1459968169][/DOUBLEPOST]
Badree should have got the MOTS. Going at less than six an over bowling in the powerplay in this batsman-dominated era is more remarkable than whatever Kohli's average while chasing is. *grabs popcorn*

Look, the top 3 were obviously Root, Kohli and Badree. Picking any of these guys is fine.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Oh guys just leave it all are good

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
That's ridiculous. Yes there is some pressure but a home crowd chanting your name should gee you up. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with you. Who dislikes support?

And Joe saved England at least on 2 occassions. It's not his fault the so called "superstars of India" couldn't back Kohli up.

But I repeat, there's not much between the two. I'm sure you'll keep saying Kohli and that's fine but Root was better imo.

Do you even read your own post after you have finished writing it?

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I did not want to get s*cked into this, but I am curious. In which games did Joe "save England" ?

- Against WI - walked in at a comfy 1/37. And england lost the game
- Against SAF: an average case for saving here, but he played a fantastic knock regardless of the flat deck and awful bowling
- Against AFG, walked in at 16/1, fell for 12. No saving
- Against SL, walked in at 4/1, made 25 in 24. Not a lot of saving
- Against NZ, he walked in at 82/1 chasing 154. Nothing to save there
- In the final, he played a very good knock in a tricky situation. But England LOST !

So where exactly was the saving

--

Quick look at Kohli:
- Won the game single handedly against Pak with openers and Raina gone, in testing conditions against top class bowling.
- Won the game single handedly against Aus with openers and Raina gone, from a losing position, in a knock out game.

That is already more than what Joe did this tournament.

bigred

Club Captain
I did not want to get s*cked into this, but I am curious. In which games did Joe "save England" ?

- Against WI - walked in at a comfy 1/37. And england lost the game
- Against SAF: an average case for saving here, but he played a fantastic knock regardless of the flat deck and awful bowling
- Against AFG, walked in at 16/1, fell for 12. No saving
- Against SL, walked in at 4/1, made 25 in 24. Not a lot of saving
- Against NZ, he walked in at 82/1 chasing 154. Nothing to save there
- In the final, he played a very good knock in a tricky situation. But England LOST !

So where exactly was the saving

--

Quick look at Kohli:
- Won the game single handedly against Pak with openers and Raina gone, in testing conditions against top class bowling.
- Won the game single handedly against Aus with openers and Raina gone, from a losing position, in a knock out game.

That is already more than what Joe did this tournament.

It amuses me how emotional Indian fans get about a simple debate in who's better out of two players. Let people decide what they want. If they prefer Root, so be it.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Yeah, i agree that Kohli is hard to like if you're not from India. Cricketers who do stuff like putting their hands to the ears in front of the opposition fans, or tell them to shut up aren't well seen anywhere (talking in general here, but the reference is obvious). And rightly so. Such celebrations have no place in cricket.

Really? Why? If the opposition fans are unnecessarily heckling/trolling you, you have every right to gesture at them to shut up or shut them up with your actions on the field and rub it in with gestures. Its good drama on the field and should be allowed to happen. Being an opposition fan doesn't mean you can say anything to the player and get away with it.

Seeing the discussions here, I see a Sachin vs Lara debate happening here with Kohli vs Root. :D Well, great for the game!! But one thing is - no matter how good the Indian guy is, he will always be hated by a majority of the non-Indian guys because well............HE'S INDIAN!!

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It amuses me how emotional Indian fans get about a simple debate in who's better out of two players. Let people decide what they want. If they prefer Root, so be it.

Nothing emotional about it. I am just really curious to know when exactly did Joe Root "save England twice" because I definitely did not catch that and I followed all games

I am all for people preferring Root over Kohli. I personally think, that they are both too young and too early into their careers to have a definitive answer of this question. And it is very likely that there never will be a definitive answer to this question given that they are both immensely talented. But when the sample size is as small as 5-6 matches in the same tournament, then some amount of objectivity is naturally expected - you can't make random claims and then expect it to let it slide in a cricket centric forum.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
To describe it in simple manner, Kohli is better than root in limted overs cricket & Root is better than Kohli at test cricket.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
We have something called stats (short for statistics if you're not aware), and anytime someone comes anywhere near me and claims there's a better Test batsman than Sir Donald Bradman, I can use said stats to laugh them out of the room.

That said keep playing your role of man on his high horse claiming others are getting emotional and defensive while not actually putting any effort into backing up your original claims.

While we're at it I'm also denouncing anyone that even remotely follows the scientific method in any aspect of life as emotional and defensive.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Nothing unexpected, Its a typical england fan reaction though.. they will make high claims as though they have very objective reasons, then cant back it up, will question the opposition player without again backing up, then again repeat the same claim with tinted glasses, i mean if its their guy its all struggle and humble lad, but if its someone else, even if he was a fatherless kid who struggled to reach the top, he nothing but a t**t! then when you cant back up claims end it calling everyone is getting serious and emotional :lol

Lol call it emotional or crazy whatever, but im calling you out on making subjective claims while claiming them to be very objective and cant back it up with actual facts!

plus its a cricket forum, making claims and getting counter claims is how it rolls, you cant expect to state something and not expect opinions on it!

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Nothing unexpected, Its a typical england fan reaction though.. they will make high claims as though they have very objective reasons, then cant back it up, will question the opposition player without again backing up, then again repeat the same claim with tinted glasses, i mean if its their guy its all struggle and humble lad, but if its someone else, even if he was a fatherless kid who struggled to reach the top, he nothing but a t**t! then when you cant back up claims end it calling everyone is getting serious and emotional :lol

Lol call it emotional or crazy whatever, but im calling you out on making subjective claims while claiming them to be very objective and cant back it up with actual facts!

plus its a cricket forum, making claims and getting counter claims is how it rolls, you cant expect to state something and not expect opinions on it!

It's not a fan reaction. I stated, quite openly, that I have no problem if some was to say MOS is Kohli. He was terrific but there are legitimate reasons for Root and in fact, Badree too.

What is an issue is, Indian fans get butthurt too quickly and can't take any opinion which does not play into their line of thought. It's ok. Better luck next time.

bigred

Club Captain
Wow, they're still going on about it. Why do I need stats to back up what I'm saying. Get this into your heads. I PREFER ROOT AS A BATSMAN OVER KOHLI. I judge this on what I've seen, not numbers. I've seen both bat at the stadium on numerous occasions and in tv hundreds of times.

But if you want stats:

Root- test average 54 and ODI average 44
Kohli- test average 44 and ODI average 51.

I couldn't give a stuff about these stats, but you guys wanted some evidence.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I loved those two pages where Kohli was being dissed for his 'bad boy' image. Got to love the poms! They find it hard to like someone who is brash and aggressive and find him disrespectful, yet glorify people who find it right to disrespect cricket by pissing on a cricket pitch. Brilliant! :lol

FFS, this is not a popularity contest. The world acknowledges that Smith, Root, Williamson and Kohli are on the same level, which is incredibly high.

As far as the WT20 is concerned, the alien conditions argument is a JOKE. Root and Kohli were neck and neck, batted in tough situations but Kohli batted on very difficult tracks. It's not like Root/Kohli forget how to bat in alien conditions. Any decent batsman will tell you they'll take the Mumbai pitch wherever they go.

As for the stats argument? There are stats in limited overs that will make Root look stupid. There are stats in tests that will make Kohli look stupid. It's all relative. They're both world beaters in all formats but Virat Kohli was better in the WT20. That's it.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Root- test average 54 and ODI average 44
Kohli- test average 44 and ODI average 51.

ummm we were talking about this series were we not ...

if you just said you preferred root as batsman who would have cared .... but the point of comparison was this series.

Either one of them may end up surpassing one another in their career...but the fact is, this series kohli owned it way better than root playing tougher conditions, situations, better bowling!

round and round

59624626.jpg

Badree too.

badree i would agree to an extent still would say the pitches were spinner friendly, still the impact he had was terrific given a lot of others including ashwin failed, see i can accept legitimate contenders, rooot certainly nopeeeee certainly not MOS for this wt20...which is the point with england fans they just way too overhype their players mediocre performances and cant look beyond it!

Better luck next time.

why need luck when there are solid facts to back it up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread