Ind-Aus 2001 Or The Ashes 2005 ? Which has been more exciting ?

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I world like you guys to vote for the more exciting of arguably 2 of the greatest series of modern times or all-time .

India-Australia Border-Gavaskar Trophy 2001 -------->

Australia came to India with a mission led by S.Waugh . To Beat India in India , a feat achieved in the late 60s by Bill Lawry`s side. They st their sights on it and handed India a crushing defeat at Mumbai in the first test .
Then began the Kolkata test. The Australian middle order wilted against the spin of Harbhajan Singh who also took a hattrick but despite the effort , Australia managed a huge 400+ target with the help of a S.Waugh special knock . It all looked hunky-dory when Australia asked India to follow on . In came two batsmen named VVS Laxman and R.Dravid in one of the greatest partnership and effected one of the greatest turn-arounds in modern cricket ! What followed was another cracking test match at Chennai and India beat Australia 2-1 and also ended the 16-match winning run of the `Invincibles`!

The Ashes Series 2005 -------------->

Australia arrived in England to defend the Ashes title but were up against an English side who were different from their predecessors. The start however was not so good . The lost to county sides and what was termed the most embarassing was a defeat to Bangladesh ! By the time the test series begun, th Australians believed they had found form. On the first day of the first test, English pacers set the tone bowling Australia out for 190 . Glen McGrath however bailed them out with a fabulous spell and England meekly surrendered in the second Innings. The Egbaston test saw a debatable decision by Ponting to bowl first on a beauty of a track and it will sure haunt the Aussies for years to come. Australia were left with 100 odd to get on the last day with 2 wickets in hand ! It was all over was what many thought but a fighing performance by WArne , Lee and Kasprowicz saw Australia needing just 3 runs when Harmisson held his nerve to win England the match by 2 runs . What followed is 2 more great test matches at Old Trafford and Trent Bridge !

Now judge, which series was/is better ! Remember that India beat Australia in 2001 when the Australians were at their peak and no other side came even close to beating them as suggested by the 16 match winning run !

admin can you add a poll with ` Ind-Aus 2001 Or The Ashes 2005 ? Which has been more exciting ?` and the 2 series as the options !

ashu2411

International Coach
Really I cant say at once whitch one is best. But I still think Ashes series is best because it is more team efforts responsible for great series in ashes and not just two individual great performances of Laxman and Harbhajan like in 2001 series

aditya123

National Board President
ashu2411 said:
Really I cant say at once whitch one is best. But I still think Ashes series is best because it is more team efforts responsible for great series in ashes and not just two individual great performances of Laxman and Harbhajan like in 2001 series

I think that the turnarounds effected by the 2 players is what made the 2001 series special . AS I stated earlier, the Australian side of 2001 was on a roll winning 16 test matches in a row making it incredibly hard to beat them and performances by Laxman,Dravid and Harbhajan gave the belief to the whole Indian team !

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think it should be the Ashes. Great fight going on between the world's top two sides... Cant get any better. Ind-Aus 2001 would rank second in comparison!

ronny_kingsley

Club Cricketer
Well for me the Indo-Aus series. This Ashesh seems more intresting because of its length (5 tests).

Also both teams in that series were level headed but in this Ashes a half of the actual Aussie team (in terms of capability) is playing.Umpiring hasnt been up to the mark and its actually looking like Warne & Bretto on one side against the English side both in batting and bowling.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The Ashes has been exciting. I didn't get to see the Indian series so i can't really comment. The Ashes however you have one team that isn't at their best and the other is at the top of their powers. In India both sides were at their best.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
The india/aussie series was far more exciting....because it doesnt bloody rain in India! :cool:

aditya123

National Board President
.::Stevo::. said:
The india/aussie series was far more exciting....because it doesnt bloody rain in India! :cool:

it rained at Chennai last year (in 2004 series) on the last day of the second test when India were poised to win the second test ! Rains came to the rescue of the aussie who eventually won the series in India after 35 looooong years !
If it had not rained , the series could have ended 2-2 and India would have retained the Border Gavaskar Trophy !

angryangy

ICC Chairman
There were many great performances in 2001, not just Laxman/Dravid. I think 2004 may have been just as exciting because each game was being played with the utmost temperament by both teams and the series could easily have gone either way.

I thought the rained out Test was perfectly poised to go down to the wire, as things like that have a habit of doing.

MWaugh

International Coach
it has to be the ashes because the last 3 games have all come down to the wire. the australian v india series was great but i think the ashes has just had that extra bit too it that has made every ball a challenge and nobody is assure of making runs or taking wickets.

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India

Who can forget Laxman's match winning 281 after India was made to follow on.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ind-Aus 2001 Or The Ashes 2005 ? Which has been more exciting

This is the topic question. The answer is the Ashes series has been more exciting - the last 3 tests have all gone to the wire.

As Colin said though, the India series was probably better quality, but to answer you question of more exciting, Ashes for me

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
aditya123 said:
it rained at Chennai last year (in 2004 series) on the last day of the second test when India were poised to win the second test ! Rains came to the rescue of the aussie who eventually won the series in India after 35 looooong years !
If it had not rained , the series could have ended 2-2 and India would have retained the Border Gavaskar Trophy !

We're talking about the India-Australia series 2001 where Laxman scored 281 and Bhajji got 32 wickets!

Users who are viewing this thread