India in England Jun-Sept 2014

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
For losing a worthless T20 game? I'd get the priorities straight if that is the case. Surely it's much better to find out if he does have what it takes to get the job done? If Dhoni gives him the chance, he could have smacked a couple of 4s and won the game for India. Instead, you not only lost the game, but you found nothing out about a new member of the team.

Two bad tests have spoiled our mood over a tour despite being competitive in the other 3 tests, winning one after 24 years, winning odi bilateral series comprehensively 3-1 and a thrilling t20 and still people say and have the opinion Indians dont care about tests.[DOUBLEPOST=1410113085][/DOUBLEPOST]

I would say MSD was protecting him, if rayudu took the strike and bungled it, a whole lot of people would put the blame on him.

Yeah if you take away the last two tests, the picture does radically change. Even so, its always good to learn.

Given that the WC is around the corner, India do need to work on the end overs bowling. One highlight was India's fielding in the ODIs, and its the best Indian fielding side I have ever seen. The good thing is that I have been saying this since 2010 and each year the bar gets higher and higher. The biggest issue is end over bowling.

I would like someone to work with both Umesh and Varun, and give them some direction without taking their pace away. An Indian bowler who touches 140+ is a great sight, but at the same time they do need control over their pace. Till that happens I think they are going to be expensive.

D

Deleted member 9102

That was a "thrilling" game which went down to the final ball, but I couldn't have cared less if England had won or lost. These T20Is just seem so tacked on and inconsequential. The T20 format as a whole doesn't really do anything for me, it's Mickey Mouse cricket imo.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No, clearly we are not going to agree. I'd just like it to be understood that my point of view is if England won the World Cup, that would have been reduced to irrelevance by the time the first ball of the Ashes series is bowled in Cardiff.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A mixed (mostly disappointing) tour because the most important thing, i.e. the tests ended up miserably for India after a great high of that Lord's win. Yes we won the ODI's and that was good preparation for the upcoming World Cup. But as far as this tour was concerned, tests were the most important (we played 5 tests) and the way we lost those 3 tests still makes this a disappointing tour for us. If we had fought and lost those tests, I would have called this tour a success.

The limited overs (ODI and T20 side) is in far better shape. Our test side is still a 'work in progress'. I think as Ganguly has said in one of his recent articles, the ODI series win (and Kohli's wretched run) will ensure that Dhoni survives as test skipper till the WC. Hope BCCI can keep Shastri and the new guys (Bangar, Arun, Sridhar) around till the WC. Although its early to rate their contributions, the fact that India looked much different after the test drubbing suggests that they must be retained till the WC.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Much the same. Test cricket is the ultimate. I would rank winning a Test series in South Africa, for example, higher than winning the World Cup.

Again, I cannot and I am not speaking for every England fan, but for me personally, I just don't care about the World Cup. For England that is - I'll watch the games, but it's nothing to get excited about.

No offence to you when i say this, but their too many ENG cricket fans that think this way & its very backward, even test cricket is ultimate.

When ENG big rivals AUS dominated test cricket & treated it as the pinnacle, they still treated ODI cricket seriously and won everything, everywhere. Why can't ENG cricket & it majority fans think this way & seek to do the same?

War

Chairman of Selectors
If some of the expats have Brit citizenship then there is no excuse for supporting any team over Eng (their national side).

If some English bloke came to Ind and took up Indian citizenship, and then in an Ind vs Eng fixture he started to cheer for Eng, I would not exactly be welcoming that attitude.

While its good that Ind get so much support, but if they are Brit nationals, then they should be supporting Eng, not Ind or Pakistan.

Also if Moenn Ali is English, then the only team he belongs in is England. I don't think that if he changed his nationality, and started playing for India (I know he would go Pakistan, but suppose he did), I don't know if I would welcome him.

Recently I read about Michael Chopra (who is going to take part in the ISL) former Newcastle United player, wanting to take up Indian nationality, to be able to play Int'l Football, I thought I would not exactly be thrilled about it. He has been a brit all his life, so why play for India now.

Same in cricket. Moenn Ali is English and there is only one team where he belongs. Those who booed him for that are stupid.

Having observed Asian brit cricket fans in Manchester & London over the years, whenever PAK & IND come to town, they bring a sort of 1970, 1980s football style ugy crowd behaviour towards brit Asian players who play for ENG.

The West Indian asians don't behave that way.

George Dobell was on point in this article - George Dobell on the booing of Moeen Ali | Cricket News | England v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Ha I've never understood why so many asian feel they can't support ENG. I used the football example of black brits of caribbean/african heritage & more are happy to support/play for ENG in football they their descendant countries. These Asians over here need to take a chill pill...

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
While this is not to say Raina is a world class player, the moment he came into the team, the team seemed different. He offers the spark on the field which unfortunately was not present after Lord's.

grkrama

National Board President
Ya he has great attitude and gels well with most.I really wnt him to succeed well at test level too, if he can just find a workaround to short ptich stuff he will be a truly world class player.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No offence to you when i say this, but their too many ENG cricket fans that think this way & its very backward, even test cricket is ultimate.

When ENG big rivals AUS dominated test cricket & treated it as the pinnacle, they still treated ODI cricket seriously and won everything, everywhere. Why can't ENG cricket & it majority fans think this way & seek to do the same?
For me it's because ODIs simply do not get the juices flowing.

D

Deleted member 9102

For me it's because ODIs simply do not get the juices flowing.
Yeah... I would rather sit and watch hours of an uneventful day of Test cricket than an ODI. It's a different game entirely - it's like Rugby Union and Rugby League, many people are fans of one but not the other. That's the same with me for Test and ODI cricket.

Just because there's a World Cup in the latter, it doesn't suddenly make me fanatical about them - Test matches are the main events on the cricket calendar for me. I'll still take a passing interest and watch a few ODIs but I'm not passionate about them at all.

Having observed Asian brit cricket fans in Manchester & London over the years, whenever PAK & IND come to town, they bring a sort of 1970, 1980s football style ugy crowd behaviour towards brit Asian players who play for ENG.

The West Indian asians don't behave that way.

George Dobell was on point in this article - George Dobell on the booing of Moeen Ali | Cricket News | England v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Ha I've never understood why so many asian feel they can't support ENG. I used the football example of black brits of caribbean/african heritage & more are happy to support/play for ENG in football they their descendant countries. These Asians over here need to take a chill pill...

I kinda agree, if they are all Brit nationals, then they need to support England, and be happy to play for England. If they are just Indian fans travelling, then its fine supporting India.

If a Pakistani who has taken up Indian passport, started cheering for Pakistan when they came to India, he would probably get lynched for that, and vice versa I am sure.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I kinda agree, if they are all Brit nationals, then they need to support England, and be happy to play for England. If they are just Indian fans travelling, then its fine supporting India.

If a Pakistani who has taken up Indian passport, started cheering for Pakistan when they came to India, he would probably get lynched for that, and vice versa I am sure.
I'm not going to tell someone else who they can support - it's completely up to them. If someone from an Indian background wants to go and support India at the cricket, then they are welcome to do that. What they shouldn't be doing is abusing someone like Moeen Ali just because he hails from a Pakistani background.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Vaughan's joke was better.

Users who are viewing this thread