India tour of Australia - 2018/19

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A much needed half century from Rahul. Given that he is a certainty now for the first Test, those runs should have given him some sort of confidence.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Im really happy with how this wqrm up game has turned out for India. We may have not set the world on fire but the bowlers have had to toil and that is not particularly a bad thing for us. If the batting can have a few bright spots in the second innings, this would have been a solid and competitive outing and a much better way to enter a test match than going into it straight after a bunch of t20s.

Ashwin doesn't inspire confidence to me. He got out-bowled by Moeen Ali against England. I'd definitely pick Kuldeep. But, it won't happen!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ashwin doesn't inspire confidence to me. He got out-bowled by Moeen Ali against England. I'd definitely pick Kuldeep. But, it won't happen!
Of course he did, moeen is world class......

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Bad timing for Shaw to get injured and ruled out of the first test. If Shaw was available, Vijay and Shaw should've opened in the first test. Good that Vijay got that hundred at the perfect time. Should give him tons of confidence ahead of a crucial series. Vijay should be very hungry after what has happened to him in England. Any mental overconfidence should've been dashed now and with the likes of Shaw and Agarwal already vying for opening spots, the likes of Vijay and Rahul should be on their toes.

I am not in favor of a 6th batsman. Considering Adelaide conditions, it is likely to be good for batsman. In that case, 6 batsman (including Pant) should be more than enough. Ashwin is a bowling allrounder and is more than capable of batting. Therefore Rohit Sharma is not at all needed. I would pick Rohit for Pant if batting alone was the criteria. But Pant being the wicketkeeper, has to play as we cannot play with a makeshift keeper in a 5 day test match. If only Bhuvi was a hit the deck kind of a bowler with the capability of extracting more bounce, he'd have been in for Shami. But Shami is a better bet in Australian conditions than Bhuvi, who is more suited to New Zealand than Australia where conditions aid his swing.

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Bad timing for Shaw to get injured and ruled out of the first test. If Shaw was available, Vijay and Shaw should've opened in the first test. Good that Vijay got that hundred at the perfect time. Should give him tons of confidence ahead of a crucial series. Vijay should be very hungry after what has happened to him in England. Any mental overconfidence should've been dashed now and with the likes of Shaw and Agarwal already vying for opening spots, the likes of Vijay and Rahul should be on their toes.

I am not in favor of a 6th batsman. Considering Adelaide conditions, it is likely to be good for batsman. In that case, 6 batsman (including Pant) should be more than enough. Ashwin is a bowling allrounder and is more than capable of batting. Therefore Rohit Sharma is not at all needed. I would pick Rohit for Pant if batting alone was the criteria. But Pant being the wicketkeeper, has to play as we cannot play with a makeshift keeper in a 5 day test match. If only Bhuvi was a hit the deck kind of a bowler with the capability of extracting more bounce, he'd have been in for Shami. But Shami is a better bet in Australian conditions than Bhuvi, who is more suited to New Zealand than Australia where conditions aid his swing.

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah
Ishant vs Umesh? I guess Ishant will play but should we not given chances to the man who has been sensational at home?

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
As a cricketing fan, I must opine that this is probably the biggest chance Indian team has to make its mark in Australia. With Smith and Warner absence, It takes a lot of extra confidence already from the Australian side. India, with its full strength and Kholi as captain, brings a lot more to the game than any time before. However, this indeed won't be a piece of cake for India because Australia has always been lethal in their home grounds and subcontinent batsmen have always struggled in those pitches. This time, I have high hopes that Indian batting should perform up to the expectations, In fact, in those times of Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, and Ganguly, Indian batting did perform exceptionally well in more patches relative to other sub-continent teams. For India, Rohit and Virat are key to batting, while Bumrah and B. Kumar are strengths from bowling side who can cause trouble to Australia batting line-up I assume.

For Australia, Mitch Starc is key there. He is the one who can make a difference between the two sides. In terms of Aussies batting, I think Khawaja is the key as he always performs quite well in home conditions. This will be an even contest with India having more chances on paper. It'd be fun

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
As a cricketing fan, I must opine that this is probably the biggest chance Indian team has to make its mark in Australia. With Smith and Warner absence, It takes a lot of extra confidence already from the Australian side. India, with its full strength and Kholi as captain, brings a lot more to the game than any time before. However, this indeed won't be a piece of cake for India because Australia has always been lethal in their home grounds and subcontinent batsmen have always struggled in those pitches. This time, I have high hopes that Indian batting should perform up to the expectations, In fact, in those times of Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, and Ganguly, Indian batting did perform exceptionally well in more patches relative to other sub-continent teams. For India, Rohit and Virat are key to batting, while Bumrah and B. Kumar are strengths from bowling side who can cause trouble to Australia batting line-up I assume.

For Australia, Mitch Starc is key there. He is the one who can make a difference between the two sides. In terms of Aussies batting, I think Khawaja is the key as he always performs quite well in home conditions. This will be an even contest with India having more chances on paper. It'd be fun
So many keys :p

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The thing is it will be 50-50 even though we have clearly better team on the paper. As an Indian team fan, of course I will be delighted if we manage to win the series but we also need to realize that when we came here back in 2003, we also had a great chance to win the series. Mcgrath and Warne were both out of the series and Lee and Gillespie were injured for a couple of matches and still the best we could do was to draw the series. It has always been difficult for us to win a series here because we have always came here with poor bowling attack. This time around however, we are here with a batting line-up that doesn't inspire much confidence. Our bowling attack is good but these conditions are different than England and they will need to figure out quickly what lengths to bowl on these surfaces. People will probably now realize the importance of Bumrah the test bowler in this series and how important he is to our bowling line-up. Ashwin of course will offer control but his record is very poor in Australia. Kuldeep is someone who I think can work as an x-factor and I don't think any of the current Australian batsmen will be able to read his variations. Of course it will be risky to go with 5 bowlers in the first test match but I think Adelaide is one of the ground where we can utilize Kuldeep. Feeling bad for Shaw that he got injured at such a wrong time.

So many keys :p

9b2.gif

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Ishant vs Umesh? I guess Ishant will play but should we not given chances to the man who has been sensational at home?
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't even see an argument here. I'm not sure I understand the fascination with Umesh Yadav. I would even think Mohammad Siraj is ready to have a go in test cricket. Surely there are better pacers than Umesh Yadav in India.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't even see an argument here. I'm not sure I understand the fascination with Umesh Yadav. I would even think Mohammad Siraj is ready to have a go in test cricket. Surely there are better pacers than Umesh Yadav in India.
He has raw pace, which is cherished in Australia. Hitting the deck hard on grounds at Perth or Brisbane at a fast pace seems to usually be rewarded with wickets. But the problem with Umesh is he leaks way too many runs. Personally, I would not prefer having Umesh and Shami in the same lineup, they both tend to leak plenty of runs at times. Ishant offers control and he keeps the runs down while keeping the pressure on.

And on Siraj, it's just difficult to get ahead in the fast bowler's lineup. This is an era where quality Indian fast bowlers are being developed and it's hard to see him get ahead of the current batch. Siraj has been very good but he's been unfortunate for the most part.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

Siraj should`ve played ahead of the mediocre Shardul Thakur in the home tests against WI as well. I do not understand how Shardul is even considered as a likely test selection.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
The thing is it will be 50-50 even though we have clearly better team on the paper. As an Indian team fan, of course I will be delighted if we manage to win the series but we also need to realize that when we came here back in 2003, we also had a great chance to win the series. Mcgrath and Warne were both out of the series and Lee and Gillespie were injured for a couple of matches and still the best we could do was to draw the series. It has always been difficult for us to win a series here because we have always came here with poor bowling attack. This time around however, we are here with a batting line-up that doesn't inspire much confidence. Our bowling attack is good but these conditions are different than England and they will need to figure out quickly what lengths to bowl on these surfaces. People will probably now realize the importance of Bumrah the test bowler in this series and how important he is to our bowling line-up. Ashwin of course will offer control but his record is very poor in Australia. Kuldeep is someone who I think can work as an x-factor and I don't think any of the current Australian batsmen will be able to read his variations. Of course it will be risky to go with 5 bowlers in the first test match but I think Adelaide is one of the ground where we can utilize Kuldeep. Feeling bad for Shaw that he got injured at such a wrong time.

Those days of 2003, Australia was the undisputed giant and champion of World Cricket. Australia had immense psychological advantage over every opposition as well as the fielding and fitness standards of other teams were not upto the mark compared to Australia. The Aussies were simply ahead of their time that is why no other cricketing nation literally able to defeat them virtually everywhere and particularly in Australia. The backup of batsmen and bowlers was also strong enough.

I can remember that under Inzy and Wasim Akram Pakistan came so close to defeat Australia quite a few times both in tests and one days but they were too good as well as the psychological advantage was there so winning the series in those times was more a dream than reality specially for India and Pakistan

Clearly India has far better bowlers this time but determining the line and length is important there as you said. I remember Asif struggled big time to his first outing against Australia because the subcontinent good length became a touch short length in Australia and they smashed him quite well.

This time, The fielding and fitness standards of both teams are competitive, The spark would be more than ever before under Virat. The bowling line up as never been that good. If only India does not bank too heavily on Rohit sharma and Virat. Things can be very surprizing for Australia.

Last edited:

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Those days of 2003, Australia was the undisputed giant and champion of World Cricket. Australia had immense psychological advantage over every opposition as well as the fielding and fitness standards of other teams were not upto the mark compared to Australia. The Aussies were simply ahead of their time that is why no other cricketing nation literally able to defeat them virtually everywhere and particularly in Australia. The backup of batsmen and bowlers was also strong enough.

I can remember that under Inzy and Wasim Akram Pakistan came so close to defeat Australia quite a few times both in tests and one days but they were too good as well as the psychological advantage was there so winning the series in those times was more a dream than reality specially for India and Pakistan

Clearly India has far better bowlers this time but determining the line and length is important there as you said. I remember Asif struggled big time to his first outing against Australia because the subcontinent good length became a touch short length in Australia and they smashed him quite well.

This time, The fielding and fitness standards of both teams are competitive, The spark would be more than ever before under Virat. The bowling line up as never been that good. If only India does not bank too heavily on Rohit sharma and Virat. Things can be very surprizing for Australia.
We never depend on Rohit for Tests. I think you are confusing with LO format.

Users who are viewing this thread