India tour of Australia Nov'20-Jan'21

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Exactly right. If Australia want to win they're going to have to push to get decent enough lead. India has done well at containing the scoring throughout the series. So, that opens the door for India's bowlers.

Ideal scenario is Australia get a lead that's enough to tempt India to chase and could make for a great day 5.
Special Appearance:
RAINS

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I think at most Australia should give India around 300, 320 to win on the final day. It's just enough to tempt them without being overly large of a target, and it gives them enough time to bowl the side out. On the other hand, India could just park the car and play for the draw. But in a series like this, ending in a draw is going to be a massive anticlimax. There's time for a result yet.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Stunning!! Absolutely stunning effort from Washington Sundar and Shardul Thakur to bring us literally back from DOWN THE DUMPS!! I was so nervously watching it last night and kept switching in and out as whenever I watched, a wicket seemed pretty close. But boy, both of them were superb

Recent generation fans start believing in a player's ability only after they see a significant performance in intl cricket, but I have been following Sundar's work enough in domestic cricket to know that he is a 'more than decent' bat. He is another Ashwin in the making with both ball and bat, maybe even better than Ashwin when it comes to batting. Definitely superior on the fitness front also. Sundar has opened for Tamil Nadu quite a few times across formats. Actually people thought he couldn't bat by seeing him in IPL. But Sundar like Ashwin, is not a hitter. He is more of a grafter and a guy who can stay in the crease and frustrate bowlers and keep the scoreboard ticking. All that is a big plus for test cricket (and maybe to an extent in certain ODI's). Don't expect him to be a T20 hitter.

It is fantastic that India is starting to get bowlers who can more than hold a bat. Shardul off late has been very underrated due to his waywardness with the ball and he still is, but his wicket taking ability seems to be seeing a significant uptick and boy, his batting is growing in confidence by leaps and bounds. He won India a game or two with the bat in ODI's. He can be used smartly with the ball and added with his batting, Shardul should be taken more seriously from here on.

I still think the advantage is with Australia, but only by a very small margin. The most likely outcome right now is a draw, with rain forecast for both days. And that, would be a MASSIVE RESULT for India as they would retain the BG trophy and leave Aussie shores unbeaten (*in tests*) after all the injuries that have happened during the course of this series. This series would rank far superior to the 2018/19 victory and also above that 1-1 result in 2003 when India under Ganguly started changing their overseas record for the better and script a new chapter in Indian cricket. Fingers crossed, and hoping India retain the BG trophy

I think at most Australia should give India around 300, 320 to win on the final day. It's just enough to tempt them without being overly large of a target, and it gives them enough time to bowl the side out. On the other hand, India could just park the car and play for the draw. But in a series like this, ending in a draw is going to be a massive anticlimax. There's time for a result yet.

A draw is not an anti-climax. A draw is as good as a win for India, and as good as a defeat for Australia. I am not a fan of draws too, but trust me, this series is an exception

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
In general, a draw isn't an anticlimax. Just look at the 3rd Test. That was a win for India as far as I'm concerned. But for the series...I don't want it at 1-1 and India retains the Trophy. I'd like to see 2-1 result either way. To be honest, both teams deserve to win. It's going to be down to either the rain-i or the Saini. I can picture him returning from his injury to demolish the Aussie lineup.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
What a show by these two.. We were down and out and staring at a massive defeat and they have absolutely changed the stakes. Aussies are still in the drivers seat and can easily coast to a win here but we have a genuine chance of holding them off for a draw now

And in stark contrast of these two positives, our top and middle order has been extremely disappointing. All through the series. Batsmen of Rahane and Pujaras calibre should be scoring 100s and not folding up after getting starts, especially on this wicket. Mayank also threw it away after looking so comfy out there. And Rohit was classic Rohit.. A non sense shot from someone as senior as him and that too when he was batting so effortlessly. We could have had a lead here, but still playing catch up

Hope our bowling can hold up in the second innings. It will be crucial to hold up on both ends and dry out the runs, because warner looks like he has been given the go ahead for outright attack here. And the wicket is definitely good for batting still for anyone willing to take some calculated risks

Australia should rightfully go for an outright attack from here on... And that can also end up playing in India's and our bowlers' hands. For Australia, it will be an embarrassment not to snatch back the BG trophy after having Warner and Smith back and to see India play a B team for a few tests and a C team for the Gabba test. And also remember - the 36 all out happened when Kohli was still there, and with Kohli's departure, things were expected to get worser. NOT! So Australia would feel shameful if they dont win this test and reclaim the BG trophy (well even if Australia win this test, the media and the world is going to likely sing India's praises for the fight displayed).

Lets see how the final two days of this tour goes. Whatever happens, India will come back home in a pretty happy mood.

In general, a draw isn't an anticlimax. Just look at the 3rd Test. That was a win for India as far as I'm concerned. But for the series...I don't want it at 1-1 and India retains the Trophy. I'd like to see 2-1 result either way. To be honest, both teams deserve to win. It's going to be down to either the rain-i or the Saini. I can picture him returning from his injury to demolish the Aussie lineup.

Honestly, India deserve to take this series 2-1 considering they were also in front in the Adelaide test before an hour of horrendous batting caused the storm that still lingers on the fans minds

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
13-9.jpg

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Off to sleep. Hopefully when I wake up, Australia are something like 180-5 with a session to go. 30-40 runs north of that and I'll worried, 30-40 runs south of that and I'll be thrilled.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
Many people discounted sundar's batting ability after his mediocre performances with the bat in the ipl, but he is clearly better with the bat in the longer formats. He is not a slogger like Jofra Archer, he can properly bat

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I think it was Day 1 when Isa Guha and Shane Warne asked Harsha Bogle (remember, Harsha is actually doing commentary from India, he's not in Oz)...they asked him if there was any more wonderful name in cricket than Washington. Harsha immediately hit back with the India under-19 and one-time CSK opening batsman Napoleon Einstein. Beat that. Although in all honesty, Sir Curtly Elconn Lyndwall Ambrose does come quite close.

Seriously though, Sundar impressed me with his batting. It's just a bit unfortunate that he probably won't get another match for a while once Ashwin and Jajeda are fit.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Some precipitation looms in Brisbane today and tomorrow. Let's hope it does not spoil what has been a gripping match to end a gripping series. Australia needs to win this.. India a draw to walk away with the B/G trophy. So we have to go full speed today and build a lead that will entice India to chase on the final day but not one that will take the win out of reach of India. Some smart thinking is needed by the Aussie strategists.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Today will be one of the hardest days of the entire series for India. Australia will be looking to score big, and yes that will give chances, but they've got the advantage of playing basically a full-strength squad against India's C-team. A declaration about halfway through the last session is very feasible. But Rishabh Pant in particular won't exactly bat for a draw.

I still think this is India's match to lose, even though Australia may be ahead.

(I'm not listening to the commentary, btw, so anything juicy on there, let me know. I'm half watching the video, half listening to YouTube, half studying, and half gaming. I'm stretched quite far at the moment, but this is probably when I work at my best.)

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
50 up for BGs. Best opening stand of the series I reckon.

Warner musta found some quicksand. He has barely scored this morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread