India tour of Ireland (2 T20Is) & England (1 Test, 3 ODIs & 3 T20Is)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For me, and I say this with some level of disdain, all this talk of temperament from Pandya is absolute bull! The fact that he was meant for the big stage and has a good head on his shoulders to me has been known a long time. You don't just do what he did even before GT existed without the head he has.

The biggest positive for me is his technical shift and the fact that he realises he doesn't need to bat on his off stump to make an impact or make runs. His set up is now extremely compact and he is now realising that his core is so strong that he can just play cricket shots till it's time to tee off. THAT for me has been the biggest improvement and I dearly hope his body stays intact. As @Bevab said, we need him badly in white ball cricket. Our red ball attack is sufficient, specially with Jadeja at 7. Our red ball game is not a dominant force because of our batting.

Yeah I don’t think Hardik’s temperament has been a huge issue of his. It has been somewhat of a myth perpetuated by the large swathes of IPL fans due to him being an aggressive slogger with an unorthodox technique. I’ve seen him play in the England tour back in 2018 and he was the only one other than Kohli (and Pujara later on) to show any sort of grit and place value on his wicket. His defence might have been very unconventional and to the untrained eye might look ugly but it was effective and it worked as much as it could have. I do confess to not seeing a leader in him, still think he has several aspects to improve on that were swept under the rug due to GT winning the title but I feel confident of him reaching there.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yeah I don’t think Hardik’s temperament has been a huge issue of his. It has been somewhat of a myth perpetuated by the large swathes of IPL fans due to him being an aggressive slogger with an unorthodox technique. I’ve seen him play in the England tour back in 2018 and he was the only one other than Kohli (and Pujara later on) to show any sort of grit and place value on his wicket. His defence might have been very unconventional and to the untrained eye might look ugly but it was effective and it worked as much as it could have. I do confess to not seeing a leader in him, still think he has several aspects to improve on that were swept under the rug due to GT winning the title but I feel confident of him reaching there.

Yeah, his entire set up at the crease has changed. Back, across but not extravagant and his head is dead still. He has always had a strong core and because he isn't slogging anymore, his power is being generated from his core and not his hips. That's why it seems as if he's hitting the ball extra sweetly but it has all to do with his set up.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Make Hardik the Captain post 2023 WC in LOIs.

I agree with this given how he seems to have matured as a player. His performances speak for himself and has been an able understudy to Rohit at MI. I believe he is the way forward, at least as far as the limited overs are concerned. At 28, I reckon Pandya could be in charge until the next 50 over edition in South Africa. Well, I know this is all wishful thinking! Here's to hoping it becomes a reality (lest we want jokers leading the tribe)
Excellent innings from Pant

Oh Rishabh Pant!!

PANTASTIC STUFF!

Pant superb batting

I get it! Good innings that won us the game and series. I wouldn't want to read too much into this, as I want to see some consistency from Pant here. I have been talking about his approach-brainless at times, but today was different. Rather than have Pant play these flash-in-a-pan innings, I want him to mature into a more stable player.

About this innings, a couple of things:
1. The stage was set for him- similar to Test cricket, he had plenty of deliveries to face and could get into that zone.
2. Pant is dangerous towards the end -Once he's settled, he goes for his strokes. Similar to Kohli and Rohit. I am still not sure whether we want that kind in limited overs given how the game has progressed.

Don't get me wrong- take nothing away from him. However, I find the above inadequacies of his gameplay a bit discomforting, especially when you have the likes of Shaw, Kishan and Samson waiting in the wings. Mind you, these are the players who can go right from the 1st delivery

Indian selectors need to see our top 3 batters. All are struggling.

I personally feel we have to make a solid decision here and get rid of the non-performers. Rahul Dravid has given adequate chances to some players and its high time they perform or perish.

Dhawan- in many ,I see him as an aberration in the current side. Yes, he is well known for his exploits in ICC tournaments where he has scored a truck load of runs. If the last 3 innings were anything to go by, I would probably liken him to Gambhir's last few days in the Indian setup. Much like Gambhir, he had a knack of coming good in big games. At this moment though, Dhawan just seems amiss.

Kohli- Believe much has been said about him. With the captain openly backing him, its not going to be easy for the Selectors to drop him unless Shah/Ganguly take a final call

Rohit- as your full time captain until CWC 2023, there's no ay he's goin anywhere.

KLR- I dont understand why there has been a massive clamour for KLR to be re-instated in the team. IMO, Rahul, Rohit and Kohli are very similar in nature and tend to slow down the pace of the innings initially. Having all 3 will not work in our favour.

The Options:
Ishan Kishan- has been hanging around with the squad and I feel it is a matter of time before he comes back in. We need to get off to fliers. The good thing was that the bowlers did their bit over 3 games and hence we didn't have to look at chasing down 300+ totals. Else, the story would have been somewhat different

Also, there's a reason I mentioned Prithvi Shaw up there. I reckon he's the perfect guy who can smash around the opposition without a care in the world. Shaw in that position alongside a decent head like Rohit is bound to mean a few fireworks. Hope he is considered sooner.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I agree with this given how he seems to have matured as a player. His performances speak for himself and has been an able understudy to Rohit at MI. I believe he is the way forward, at least as far as the limited overs are concerned. At 28, I reckon Pandya could be in charge until the next 50 over edition in South Africa. Well, I know this is all wishful thinking! Here's to hoping it becomes a reality (lest we want jokers leading the tribe)

I get it! Good innings that won us the game and series. I wouldn't want to read too much into this, as I want to see some consistency from Pant here. I have been talking about his approach-brainless at times, but today was different. Rather than have Pant play these flash-in-a-pan innings, I want him to mature into a more stable player.

About this innings, a couple of things:
1. The stage was set for him- similar to Test cricket, he had plenty of deliveries to face and could get into that zone.
2. Pant is dangerous towards the end -Once he's settled, he goes for his strokes. Similar to Kohli and Rohit. I am still not sure whether we want that kind in limited overs given how the game has progressed.

Don't get me wrong- take nothing away from him. However, I find the above inadequacies of his gameplay a bit discomforting, especially when you have the likes of Shaw, Kishan and Samson waiting in the wings. Mind you, these are the players who can go right from the 1st delivery

I personally feel we have to make a solid decision here and get rid of the non-performers. Rahul Dravid has given adequate chances to some players and its high time they perform or perish.

Dhawan- in many ,I see him as an aberration in the current side. Yes, he is well known for his exploits in ICC tournaments where he has scored a truck load of runs. If the last 3 innings were anything to go by, I would probably liken him to Gambhir's last few days in the Indian setup. Much like Gambhir, he had a knack of coming good in big games. At this moment though, Dhawan just seems amiss.

Kohli- Believe much has been said about him. With the captain openly backing him, its not going to be easy for the Selectors to drop him unless Shah/Ganguly take a final call

Rohit- as your full time captain until CWC 2023, there's no ay he's goin anywhere.

KLR- I dont understand why there has been a massive clamour for KLR to be re-instated in the team. IMO, Rahul, Rohit and Kohli are very similar in nature and tend to slow down the pace of the innings initially. Having all 3 will not work in our favour.

The Options:
Ishan Kishan- has been hanging around with the squad and I feel it is a matter of time before he comes back in. We need to get off to fliers. The good thing was that the bowlers did their bit over 3 games and hence we didn't have to look at chasing down 300+ totals. Else, the story would have been somewhat different

Also, there's a reason I mentioned Prithvi Shaw up there. I reckon he's the perfect guy who can smash around the opposition without a care in the world. Shaw in that position alongside a decent head like Rohit is bound to mean a few fireworks. Hope he is considered sooner.
Good point about the time in the game. He's got a solid defense and was in the fifth over chasing a below par target. So, he could take his time. Played the circumstances very well. It's actually the kind of innings you'd expect from one of the top three.

Users who are viewing this thread