India tour of South Africa

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Since, the discussion is already started about this tour, why not dedicate a separate thread for this ?

Hardik Pandya/Bhuvneshwar Kumar
R Ashwin/R Jadeja/K Yadav
Mohammad Shami
Umesh Yadav/Ishant Sharma/Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Hardik Pandya/ Bhuvneshwar Kumar ?

In your line-up, there are 4 bowlers. And if it's a choice between Hardik Pandya/ Bhuvneshwar Kumar and if Pandya is included, it's basically just 3 bowlers and a quarter. We can't win with that. We need proper 4 bowlers. Not bits and pieces to make up 4 bowlers. If Pandya is in the squad, he should play in #6 spot. He doesn't fit anywhere else according to me.

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
ACcording to me, this should be our lineup for South Africa.

Vijay
Rahul / Mukund (I know this wont happen) / Dhawan (most likely)
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Ashwin (if he plays) / Saha
Jadeja (if Ashwin doesnt play)/ Saha
Bhuvaneshwar
Shami
Yadav
Ishant / Pandya (if we need some batting depth. Would play at 6.)

IMO, playing only 1 spinner is a must in SA. We need to decide whther to go bowling heavy or batting heavy. I think playing all 4 pacers would be great, South Africa has found it to be working. If we go to, say Rohit. Then Ishant or Yadav is left out for him. We play 3 seamers and 1 spinner.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Elgar
Markram
Amla
Faf
AB
de Bruyn/Bavuma
de Kock
Maharaj
Philander
Rabada
Steyn/Morkel

Can’t see the line up differing from this

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I love this series. South Africa is the only country where India has played really well outside India(leaving West Indies & Sri Lanka). Since 2007 world cup we have played twice and drawn once and lost once. I remember last time 458 was almost chased by South Africa when Steyn decided not to go for it and Match was drawn by 7 or 8 runs. Fantastic match that was. With India the good thing is most of the core members are the same and will be same except Dhoni giving way to Saha & Zaheer Khan retired. For South Africa there will be no Kallis, Smith, Peterson and probably Steyn? Super excited for this series and cannot wait for the joke of the series to end thats going on

@zwarrior you are right we cannot count Pandya as our 3rd seamer it will be more like 2.5 seamers. My lineup would now be

Murali Vijay
Shikhar Dhawan/KL Rahul
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Wriddhiman Saha
R Ashwin/R Jadeja/H Pandya
R Ashwin/R Jadeja/H Pandya
Ishant Sharma/ Jasprit Bumrah
Bhuvneshwar Kumar/ Umesh Yadav
Mohammad Shami

Last edited:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Honestly going to be a good series. Both sides have the match winner and most importantly, AB is coming back to test cricket!! (I know @kushal17 will be excited to watch him)

I honestly go down to the quality of the baller to decide the games. Both sides have a formidable batting power (Kohli, Pujara (IND) against Amla, Faf (RSA)). Let's hope Shami comes through and best of all - we get to see whether Ashwin continues to perform when the conditions aren't unbelievably suited for spin.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Honestly going to be a good series. Both sides have the match winner and most importantly, AB is coming back to test cricket!! (I know @kushal17 will be excited to watch him)

I honestly go down to the quality of the baller to decide the games. Both sides have a formidable batting power (Kohli, Pujara (IND) against Amla, Faf (RSA)). Let's hope Shami comes through and best of all - we get to see whether Ashwin continues to perform when the conditions aren't unbelievably suited for spin.
Lets just hope Ashwin does not play. He is really toothless and post Kumble Harbhajan era no spinner has been able to penetrate when a partnership is troubling. We need someone like Lyon who can bowl day in and day out keep it tight and take wickets.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I remember last time 458 was almost chased by South Africa when Steyn decided not to go for it and Match was drawn by 7 or 8 runs. Fantastic match that was.
Oh I remember that match. I was nervous the whole time ! I just can't wait for the tour to begin.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Excited?

If I stop posting you can safely assume I've suffered a stroke. :wave

Jokes aside, I think it's the first time India wouldn't be serious underdogs going to SA. I think we can win the series to be honest because the SA batting is weak. It will depend a lot on how well Amla and de Villiers go. I honestly feel Amla's game in tests has dipped a lot in the past 18-24 months. I think SA have a better bowling line up by far for the conditions but this is also the best Indian attack to tour SA.

My prediction is 2-1 SA and Abraham Benjamin de Villiers to make 500 runs in the series. LOL.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Excited?

Jokes aside, I think it's the first time India wouldn't be serious underdogs going to SA. I think we can win the series to be honest because the SA batting is weak. It will depend a lot on how well Amla and de Villiers go. I honestly feel Amla's game in tests has dipped a lot in the past 18-24 months. I think SA have a better bowling line up by far for the conditions but this is also the best Indian attack to tour SA.

My prediction is 2-1 SA and Abraham Benjamin de Villiers to make 500 runs in the series. LOL.
Well, Elgar will have a huge impact too, considering his form this year.

As far as the bowlers are concerned, it is most probably, Rabada vs Shami and Philander / Morkel vs Bhuvi

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Well, Elgar will have a huge impact too, considering his form this year.

As far as the bowlers are concerned, it is most probably, Rabada vs Shami and Philander / Morkel vs Bhuvi
Forgot about Faf? His innings in that 450 runs draw was so crucial. He although is injured right now, will be fit for the series. South African batting by no way is weak with a middle order of de Villers, Faf, Amla, de Kock its really strong plus folks like Rabada and Philander always step up and play well.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Guys like Amla, Kallis(although he is not playing now, just giving an example), QDK always plays well against us. So, I wouldn't rule out their batting as weak. I am worried about facing Philander, Rabada, Steyn(if he is fit) in those conditions. Big fan of Philander. But hopefully he fails ;p

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
This is one series that can turn out to be very exciting. Like mentioned earlier, India do have a good chance of even winning it provided they pick the right XI. I expect our old nemesis (Amla and De Kock) to have a great series.

Bowling wise, SA have a more potent attack but it's something that our batsman can handle if they show enough patience.

My prediction is 2-0 in favor of SA.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Excited?

Could not agree more on Amla's test credentials at the moment. I strongly believe that since he has adapted his game to become a better T20 player, it has massively affected his test game.

My prediction would be 1-1, with South Africa taking the lead first up. The best thing about this series is that India is finally stepping out of their home turf to different types of wickets. Going to be a good series, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread