India tour of WestIndies - June/July 2017

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Brilliant performance by Westindies team, At the start it appears that this series will be one-sided but the way Windies have bounced back given them hope to level the series, Atleast now they can compete at the 5th ODI with nothing to loose position. To my surprize, I wonder what is happening with Indian team combination, Why too much sudden changes in the batting order and lineup? Why fans are suggesting quite many changes? I mean they were great before the CT final, Does the CT final affected the entire morale that much? Maybe... But In my view, The lineup played in CT was perfect with one or two changes here and there.

We did not wanted yuvi and rahane/dhawan even for CT. Even here we are suggesting the same thing. So, we are telling the same things pre-CT and post-CT.

We= I. I can't speak for others.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
I feel I echo the Indian fans when I say that Yuvraj has lost his charm long ago. Barring his innings against Pakistan in CT (where he was dropped early), he has been painfully mediocre. He clearly doesn't have the finesse/quality left in him for the number 4 slot. I have a feeling he is trying to prolong his career till the 2019 WC and retire alongside Dhoni. I don't understand why the likes of Rayadu keeps getting pushed aside after he has clearly shown he is more consistent in the role rather than the likes of Yuvraj.

Dhoni seems to be hanging on to captaincy stress even after his retirement. He has lost the 2011 magic but is still a good enough player to warrant a place in the side, if he plays at 4-5 rather than lower order. You already have Pandya who is becoming a fine finisher as he showed against Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. maybe Dhoni can continue to pile runs in the middle order.

Dhawan is unlikely to be dropped for at least the next couple of series because of the stellar performance in CT. I feel India are, similar to Pakistan, clinging to the past with some players rather than looking into the future. I would go so far as to drop Ashwin, and maybe Jadeja, from the squad for the likes of Kuldeep Yadav and a better Indian spin all-rounder. Jadeja is a live wire in the field but putting that aside his batting and bowling have been too poor for him to hold a position in the side for so long.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Brilliant performance by Westindies team, At the start it appears that this series will be one-sided but the way Windies have bounced back given them hope to level the series, Atleast now they can compete at the 5th ODI with nothing to loose position. To my surprize, I wonder what is happening with Indian team combination, Why too much sudden changes in the batting order and lineup? Why fans are suggesting quite many changes? I mean they were great before the CT final, Does the CT final affected the entire morale that much? Maybe... But In my view, The lineup played in CT was perfect with one or two changes here and there.
I am sorry but it was more self exploding by the Indians then West Indies playing brilliantly. Nothing to take away from that bowling performance from West Indies but it was a bad batting performance too. The series is still one sided and I still expect India to win the last match. And no, there is no morale loss in the Indian team because of CT Final. Why will a professional team with so much experience lose confidence or morale after just one loss in the entire competition? Also the Indian combination is good for now, I understand many want Yuvraj to go and some extent even want Dhoni. I agree with Yuvraj and Dhoni both if they will continue to play this way. Indian cricket needs a bit of overhaul in terms of mentality, we have attacking players who are not attacking. I am not saying attack from ball 1 but as many have said we are little behind on how ODI needs to be played. We are currently England of 2 years back where they hd all resources of attacking, but did not. Indian team is fine and still one of the team to beat, but as I have seen everywhere over the internet we have moved on whether it was going to be a loss or win from CT, its time for others too :)

S

Satan666

I am sorry but it was more self exploding by the Indians then West Indies playing brilliantly. Nothing to take away from that bowling performance from West Indies but it was a bad batting performance too. The series is still one sided and I still expect India to win the last match. And no, there is no morale loss in the Indian team because of CT Final. Why will a professional team with so much experience lose confidence or morale after just one loss in the entire competition? Also the Indian combination is good for now, I understand many want Yuvraj to go and some extent even want Dhoni. I agree with Yuvraj and Dhoni both if they will continue to play this way. Indian cricket needs a bit of overhaul in terms of mentality, we have attacking players who are not attacking. I am not saying attack from ball 1 but as many have said we are little behind on how ODI needs to be played. We are currently England of 2 years back where they hd all resources of attacking, but did not. Indian team is fine and still one of the team to beat, but as I have seen everywhere over the internet we have moved on whether it was going to be a loss or win from CT, its time for others too :)

Agreed watch the highlights and the Indians really gave up their wickets, the WI bowlers did a pretty amazing job though and the pitch from all indications proven difficult to bat on.

What are your views on Kholi captaincy? I dont rate him as a good captain at all, still an excellent batsman though his weakness to short pitch bowling has been more evident on this tour.

B

Bigby Wolf

What are your views on Kholi captaincy? I dont rate him as a good captain at all, still an excellent batsman though his weakness to short pitch bowling has been more evident on this tour.
He is an average LO captain in my opinion.This includes his captaincy stint for RCB since 2012 ,under his leadership rcb only made to final four only twice in five years (2015,2016).He does baffles under pressure and makes horrible decision in the field - be it a bowling change or fields placements and goes on to field in long leg boundaries (where he gets trolled by fans ).I even doubt his test match captaincy where only his body language is supposedly aggressive but not his captaincy for ex who on earth has a long on for Alaistar Cook just at the start of the innings in a test match?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
his weakness to short pitch bowling
You must be kidding pal. He is the excellent player of the short balls (middle and leg stump). What troubling him the most is the deliveries that are going away from him and short pitched deliveries outside off stump. It is the same old weakness of 2014 England tour where he was dismissed no. of time by James Anderson. I still believe he can overcome that weakness.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Virat Kohli and his captaincy is too early to judge. Obviously when it was Dhoni as the captain, Indian management shuffled a lot of captains on the B side sending tours like Raina, Rahane & Gambhir. Kohli came into this beastly form and everyone assumed he will be our captain. To be very honest what I saw of Rahane in that one off test match was impressive. Again we need to give Kohli some time. Virat Kohli as captain has score 1426 runs in 29 matches with 5 100's and an average of 71. He is equally impressive as captain in test matches with 26 matches 2399 runs at 59.97 runs average. So stats favor him, as far as thinking mind goes, I would say wait till this away season and then I will judge him

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Virat Kohli and his captaincy is too early to judge. Obviously when it was Dhoni as the captain, Indian management shuffled a lot of captains on the B side sending tours like Raina, Rahane & Gambhir. Kohli came into this beastly form and everyone assumed he will be our captain. To be very honest what I saw of Rahane in that one off test match was impressive. Again we need to give Kohli some time. Virat Kohli as captain has score 1426 runs in 29 matches with 5 100's and an average of 71. He is equally impressive as captain in test matches with 26 matches 2399 runs at 59.97 runs average. So stats favor him, as far as thinking mind goes, I would say wait till this away season and then I will judge him

Surely his stats during this time have no effect on his captaincy. Undoubtedly, he is a beast and has dominated all formats as a player for the last 3-4 years. But that has nothing to do with his captaincy. He seems a little over-aggressive and far too emotional as a captain. As a player, you can attribute that to the passion for the game but as a captain, you'd expect a more relaxed and calculated individual - e.g. Dhoni.

Obviously, it is a little stupid to draw the comparison to him and Dhoni as they're two completely different individuals but under Dhoni, India seems a more unified XI on the pitch compared to the panic that can arise during pressure stages of Kohli captaincy. Maybe, you can attribute that to the experience of Dhoni and the better game presence of being a wicket keeper. (I mean even in the 2009T20 WC he had his head screwed on and was probably the key determinant in the final win).

It's important to remember that during stages of Dhoni's captaincy, the bowling department was a little shocking (e.g. Mohit Sharma) and the death bowling was a little bit of a joke, yet he always remained cool and managed his troops well, something that I feel Kohli lacks or will most likely develop in later series.

One thing I find a little weird is when he captains, he puts way to much pressure on himself. He wants to field at long off or long on and that is too far away from the bowler at the end of the game. The majority of Indian fielders are very good and he doesn't need to put himself so far out the game by standing on the boundary.

Coming back to the Yuvi issue, sentimental selection won't win you games. I really want him to retire so that he can leave the game with dignity rather than become one of those players that are dropped and then retires from domestic cricket. He is not the fielder he once was, nor the bowler and definitely not the batsman. Playing longer might just lose him more supporters than he deserves.

Last edited:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
The thing with Dhoni is, he has been forced to change his game due to age. He is no longer the 2011 batsmen and especially in ODI, he now is often required to come in earlier and play the setup role as well as the finishing role.

Because he is new to this, it will take him time to adjust to the role. He has the class and temperament, and the fitness, to play the role. Give him a couple of series where he has a fixed role rather than a floating lower order role which he is being given at the moment.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Agreed. It's too early to judge whether he's a good captain or not. He has led us in 3 of the Tests overseas in Australia which we lost 2-0 but still very narrow losses, but besides that we have played mostly at home under his captaincy. We'll have to see how he performs and how well he captains on these next overseas tours of South Africa and England. The team's results have looked magnificent under him because we have played mostly at home, when usually India is dominant at home. The batting record proves that he hasn't succumbed to the pressure and the "extra responsibility" that comes along with scoring runs and captaining well. In my mind, he is doing alright as a captain, India still progressed to the final to the Champions Trophy and that's no mean feat. I don't get why people are so hasty to sack Kohli as captain. It's not called for and it's still early days for him as captain.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
If you bring Darren Bravo for Lewis, Dwayne Bravo or Pollard for Rovman Powell, and Narine for Nurse, that's basically the best team West Indies have got. Rovman Powell is supposed to be a "Junior Russell" and an allrounder so there isn't really any point to bring him in the team if he isn't going to bowl.

S

Satan666

You must be kidding pal. He is the excellent player of the short balls (middle and leg stump). What troubling him the most is the deliveries that are going away from him and short pitched deliveries outside off stump. It is the same old weakness of 2014 England tour where he was dismissed no. of time by James Anderson. I still believe he can overcome that weakness.

You just dived in further into his weakness to shortpitch bowling, same underwear different brand, playboy![DOUBLEPOST=1499360734][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you bring Darren Bravo for Lewis, Dwayne Bravo or Pollard for Rovman Powell, and Narine for Nurse, that's basically the best team West Indies have got. Rovman Powell is supposed to be a "Junior Russell" and an allrounder so there isn't really any point to bring him in the team if he isn't going to bowl.

Been plenty talk of Powell with his signing to KKR, appears a T20 player if being compared to Russel, another waste of talent then

S

Satan666

Fair enough. I guess you'll always be comparing him to Dhoni which is difficult since he was an exceptional and one of the best captains we've ever witnessed!

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
You just dived in further into his weakness to shortpitch bowling, same underwear different brand, playboy![DOUBLEPOST=1499360734][/DOUBLEPOST]

Been plenty talk of Powell with his signing to KKR, appears a T20 player if being compared to Russel, another waste of talent then
:lol

Users who are viewing this thread