India vs Sri Lanka : 3 T20I & 3 ODI: Jan 03-15, 2023

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The premise is basically Rahul, Shreyas and Sky of which 2 play.

The fact that SKY is having to fight for his spot even now shows how far out of our depth we are as a white ball team and nation. Kohli aside, he is the absolute premiere batter we have and I said it when AB was taking off as a cricketer that some people just figure out their games late in their career and for me he is batting 4/5 every format.

Rahul now basically is playing as the WK with Pant out for 2023, otherwise I was picking Pant to keep in all formats and Rahul to open. Shreyas still does not have me convinced. I think he is a poor batter against good pace bowling and good sides will eat him alive. But, he deserves his spot in the squad. XI? With Rahul keeping, I am not keeping SKY out.

Also, you can visibly see Rohit's fitness and age catching up. Sure, his talent is so enormous that there will be some innings of repute and that one shot that makes you go WOW! But he is visibly late on pull shots 5/10 times, the hand eye coordination on cut shots is clearly not at peak and his deficiency against leg spin bowling has grown simply because his hand eye coordination would take care of it and the release shot earlier. He hardly uses his feet so he keeps choking against leg spin.

SMMODS

Panel of Selectors
India
AUS..
Mumbai Indians
CSK
Sydney Sixers
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Form is temporary but class is permanent. Good to see Kohli at his best now especially scoring hundreds.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
I feel KL Rahul can open and still keep wickets making way for SKY and Iyer both in the middle.

This is my 15 for WC 2023

Rohit (c)
Rahul (wk)
Kohli
Iyer
Suryakumar
Hardik
Jadeja/Axar
Kuldeep/Chahal
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj/Bhuvi

Backup keeper: Kishan

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Gill is averaging 70 in the last 12 months
I would prefer him for the next world cup as our primary opener in place of Rohit, once he calls it a day.

Pant going out of the mix changes things. I still feel that Gill needs two more years of similar consistency to slot himself in the first XI.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I feel KL Rahul can open and still keep wickets making way for SKY and Iyer both in the middle.

This is my 15 for WC 2023

Rohit (c)
Rahul (wk)
Kohli
Iyer
Suryakumar
Hardik
Jadeja/Axar
Kuldeep/Chahal
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj/Bhuvi

Backup keeper: Kishan
You do realize that Gill has been scoring runs aplenty at the top. Plus, Rahul bats very slow when opening the batting but is a completely different batsman lower down the order. There is no way, Rahul would be playing as an opener.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I would prefer him for the next world cup as our primary opener in place of Rohit, once he calls it a day.

Pant going out of the mix changes things. I still feel that Gill needs two more years of similar consistency to slot himself in the first XI.
I agree that in the long run, Gill will surely be the primary opener but with the form he is in, he cannot be dropped for Rahul who bats extremely slow at the start unless he is thrown in the lower middle order.

Users who are viewing this thread