India

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah fair call but who would you call for a back up spinner? Piyush? :p

Yeah of course. Piyush would be a better call. He can bat too. I rate him much better than Mishra.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah fair call but who would you call for a back up spinner? Piyush?
A fourth spinner won't be needed. But if it is (in an extreme case), it has to be Amit Mishra.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
My Eleven would have:

- Sachin and Sehwag opening. 'nuff said.
- Gambhir to come in in nay situation and carry on from wherever the two master blasters left. Mind you, he can hold the fort too if need be. And not the mention, he is the best 'big match' player we have in our squad.
- Raina to not let the RR go down. If we are to win the WC, it will be because of our batting. Batting first or second, we just can't think of letting go off the paddle. We'll have to keep the pressure going even in the middle overs, that's where Raina's big-hitting(against spinners) and strike-rotation(against seamers) abilities will be needed.
- Kohli to either bail out the team in tough situations or to deliver a proper finishing punch at the death. He is good at both. Given the form he is in and the subcontinent pitches, we can't think of a better man to finish the innings for us.
- Dhoni : he needs to find his form and be the same finisher he used to be in his early days, if India has to have the mental advantage over the oppositions.
- Yuvraj : Yes, Yuvi at 7! I can't pick him at the cost of Raina/Kohli but can surely do at the cost of Yusuf. Coming in at 7, getting his ego hurt.. he can do a LOT of damage in the end overs to prove a point to the selectors. Plus, he is the only left-arm-slow we can have without having to compromise our deep batting.
- Harbhajan : On the sheer weight of the experience and handy batting form he currently is in. He is a confidence bowler. But I won't choose him to bowl for my life.
- Zaheer : A few slogs here and there can make a difference to score but thats not what Zaheer will be in the team for. I expect Dhoni to utilize Zaheer in an intelligent fashion. Short and effective busts is the way to go, I say. Allow him to bowl at the front with new ball and try his luck getting an early breakthrough or two. He can then come back to bowl with the changed bowl at 34th over. Not that, he does very well at that stage but he is the best we've got. And ofcourse, his fierce reverse swinging deliveries + deceptive slowers + round the wicket line is THE weapon Indians have in death overs. Now, if only he can start performing in pressure games and find his long lost yorkers back.
- With 2 bowling slots left, I'm clueless who to choose. All of the {Nehra, Praveen, Ojha, Ashwin} have performed on their days and have failed miserably too. Neither of them have been able to cement their places. So I guess, I'll go down to the kind of pitch and the fitness these guys'll have that will decide who gets to play the WORLD CUP.

Happy to discuss the line-up with you guys. :)

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I'd go with this lineup:

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Suresh Raina
MS Dhoni
Yusuf Pathan/Yuvi
Harbhajan Singh
R Ashwin/Praveen Kumar
Ashish Nehra/Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

I think this had to be the lineup and there will be one batsman playing either of Yuvi or Yusuf though I'll prefer Yusuf over him because of his hitting prowess and better bowling. He is really a wicket taking bowler and can bowl his 10 overs pretty well. Also we are bound to get situation like 200/4 and then Yusuf hitting to a big target rather than 50/4. You got to trust the batting lineup and needs to be more aggresive and attacking if you want to win the WC and Yusuf can be a great finisher.

In bowling, as many have said, I won't have Ashwin on the expense of Bhajji. Bhajji is a better bowler than Ashwin and more experienced. Whereas Ashwin might have rocked IPL and CLT20 but he is yet to bowl consecutively to top team's batsmen. His inexperience is his weakness.
I would like to go with only 2 seamers as Indian seamers are all pretty rubbish, but Zaheer is a certainity because we know he is the best man for us and due to his experience. He can be a dangerous man.
I don't care for the rest 2 spots because whoever they will be, they will be rubbish. Though it looks like that Ashwin and Nehra would get these spots.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Suresh Raina
MS Dhoni
Yusuf Pathan/Yuvi
Harbhajan Singh
R Ashwin/Praveen Kumar
Ashish Nehra/Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

Amen!

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If you guys think Yuvi will be dropped in even 1 game then you are dreaming. ;)

Viru
Sachin
Gauti
Yuvi
Raina
Dhoni
Kohli
Bhajji
Zaheer
?? Doesn't matter will be crap
?? Doesn't matter will be crap

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Team has been announced. No Rohit Sharma, Pragyan Ojha. Ashwin is the second spinner and Chawla gets a nod in.

Squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Piyush Chawla, R Ashwin

Source: Cricinfo

Funny how they have picked Chawla ahead of Ojha (Ojha probably might be the second best spinner after Bhajji). No backup for Dhoni as wicket keeper. What if Dhoni is injured or something? He will have to play with pain then.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks like Chawla got in for his extra batting over Ojha. Looks a good squad well suited to the home conditions.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Our second choice spinner after singh is Ashwin and not ojha or chawla

Would have loved to see sreesanth in the squad though

Indian media here are saying dhobi was not keen on having pnly 1 keeper and go with leg spin of chawla

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Team has been announced. No Rohit Sharma, Pragyan Ojha. Ashwin is the second spinner and Chawla gets a nod in.

Funny how they have picked Chawla ahead of Ojha (Ojha probably might be the second best spinner after Bhajji). No backup for Dhoni as wicket keeper. What if Dhoni is injured or something? He will have to play with pain then.

Gambhir can also do a bit of keeping, isint :p

puneet28

Club Captain
If somebody gets injured during world cup we can get replacement... but we are not allowed to select injured player and then replacing..

Users who are viewing this thread