Indian Premier League - General Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think the insane popularity CSK enjoy where away games for them are home games will not be the case but I am damn certain that the culture and process will remain. As you said, there will be turbulence perhaps with a new leader because everyone has a different tactical nuance and approach.

I will not be surprised if the transition is smooth either with Gaikwad in particular. He seems temperamentally adept. How good? Time will tell.

I dont see Rahane as a great option now too. Yes he is a very good tactical mind, but if he captains, he might be pressured to bat himself in every game. And that wont work always. This season when the openers got off to big starts, CSK flexed their order and didnt even give Rahane a batting chance and just let him contribute on the field. With Rahane as captain, not sure if he might put himself through a similar curve.

I also think time is right for Ruturaj to take the reins. He has already had an imprint in the squad selection (recommending the likes of Mukesh, Hangargekar, etc to the management before mega auctions). Yes he is not an India permanent yet, but that shouldn't come in the way of him captaining CSK. You can have IPL captains who are not India regulars.

Just curious to know what you think - will CSK's brand value will nosedive once MSD gives it up as a player? All these pundits are predicting a downfall of the franchise once Dhoni hangs up his boots. I do not agree one bit with it, coz Dhoni's contribution might be on field and with bat, but there is a bigger backroom culture that has been setup and that will continue to stay (with Dhoni also joining that space). Yes there will be turbulence as we find a new captain (we already saw it in 2022) and settle him in, but I dont think the franchise will collapse post the exit of Dhoni the player.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
I will not be surprised if the transition is smooth either with Gaikwad in particular. He seems temperamentally adept.
I read some Cricinfo interviews about him, and I thought wow, this guy has a Kohliesque level of discipline.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Was that the best final in IPL history? Still reeling under its impact. What a script did nature write, where rain comes in and spices up a game to such extraordinary levels.

Sai Sudarshan (my half namesake) must be feeling deflated after playing a gun of a knock in an IPL final of all places (for domestic players, this is equivalent to a World Cup final). In such situations, I feel absolutely annoyed with CSK for not going after such precious Tamil Nadu talents (Gujarat got him at base price of 20L; he earns higher then that in the Tamil Nadu Premier League).

Great that CSK won, and Sai got a top team like GT to blossom (win win) but I still wait for that fairytale time when a franchise representing Tamil Nadu (CSK) can finally nail the auction in precious local talent and make them bloom. There are loads of fans on social media who dream of this. I understand this is franchise cricket, blah blah. But ppl can dream….

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I honestly think this is an unfair criticism of any overseas player, primarily because it is something that will never impact an Indian player because they don't have to choose between their national team and a franchise. So it's not a level playing field. It's also always going to fall most heavily on English (and Irish) players. International cricket in England started in June the last four years. It used to be in the middle of May. The way things are heading it looks like, at some point, the international cricket in England will have to be scheduled around when franchises deem it acceptable for their players to play. For now, it's nice to have a test captain that prioritises the English summer over an overseas league. I'd expect any team trying to sign Ben Stokes to anticipate that.

Well, if you are captaining an IPL side and get called away just before the PlayOffs, the efforts are then wasted. Having a new setup with a new captain doesn't bode well. Consider his role during IPL2017 when he single-handedly led Pune to the title. He went off before the Play-Offs, but Pune were found short in the crunch final. It upsets the team balance and that isn't something a team would want with their captain.

Just curious to know what you think - will CSK's brand value will nosedive once MSD gives it up as a player? All these pundits are predicting a downfall of the franchise once Dhoni hangs up his boots. I do not agree one bit with it, coz Dhoni's contribution might be on field and with bat, but there is a bigger backroom culture that has been setup and that will continue to stay (with Dhoni also joining that space). Yes there will be turbulence as we find a new captain (we already saw it in 2022) and settle him in, but I dont think the franchise will collapse post the exit of Dhoni the player.

CSK will suffer post Dhoni cause they don't have a proper succession plan in place. MI drafted in Rohit and had some super stars in the form of Bumrah, Malinga and Pollard, Pandya whom they stuck with. With CSK, they haven't retained that sort of core and hence it might be difficult for the fans. Yes, they did retain some players-however, retaining the older ones never strike s chord-

Raina has retired
Bravo has retired
Faf has moved on (should have been retained)

I do not expect Moeen or Stokes to bring in a larger fan base- Ruturaj-yes he is a good player, but to expect him to draw in the crowds(when he isnt even an India regular) is a bit far-fetched.

With Dhoni is as a back room staff member, CSK will still command respect, however, it wont be the same as before!

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Why didn't you link the tweet and give credit to the original creator? :spy
I found the video on FB and there we can download videos so I downloaded it and uploaded it here. I am not much active on twitter. To be fair I am not much active on any social media. Didn't even know who uploaded it and from where. Found it on a random FB page.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The best thing that would happen if Pakistani players were allowed would be to see who are the owners trying to overspend on Shahid Afridi and Mohammad Amir.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
The best thing that would happen if Pakistani players were allowed would be to see who are the owners trying to overspend on Shahid Afridi and Mohammad Amir.
Shahid Afridi, the poster boy of eternal youth.

Users who are viewing this thread