Indian Premier League - General Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Retentions more or less on expected grounds. That said, retaining 4 -CSK and Delhi might have bitten off more than they can chew here. Rutu, Moeen and Axar could have been sent to the main auction instead. Well, anyway, lets see how this hampers their strategy.

The franchise that disappointed me the most- KKR- I mean, to go for Narine and Russell and then top it up with Venky and Varun- that's a huge call. To an extent, it doesn't form the core of their playing XI at the moment and I would be keen on seeing how they fit the rest around this. Gill- bummer that he misses out. That said, am sure Goenka and Ahmedabad would be looking forth to picking him up.

Now, I cannot authenticate the veracity of this link, however, one cannot rule this out. Ravindra Jadeja had copped a similar ban a few years ago for attempting to discuss financials with Mumbai. Wouldn't honestly feel bad for Rahul, if this were to happen.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Retentions more or less on expected grounds. That said, retaining 4 -CSK and Delhi might have bitten off more than they can chew here. Rutu, Moeen and Axar could have been sent to the main auction instead. Well, anyway, lets see how this hampers their strategy.

The franchise that disappointed me the most- KKR- I mean, to go for Narine and Russell and then top it up with Venky and Varun- that's a huge call. To an extent, it doesn't form the core of their playing XI at the moment and I would be keen on seeing how they fit the rest around this. Gill- bummer that he misses out. That said, am sure Goenka and Ahmedabad would be looking forth to picking him up.

Now, I cannot authenticate the veracity of this link, however, one cannot rule this out. Ravindra Jadeja had copped a similar ban a few years ago for attempting to discuss financials with Mumbai. Wouldn't honestly feel bad for Rahul, if this were to happen.

There's a strong chance both Rahul and Rashid Khan could be banned for a season if its proved that they were in contact with Lucknow franchise for negotiations, before today. And if we've seen all the news reports in the past few weeks, it seems very much possible that Rahul is in some kind of contact with Lucknow.

On CSK - Ruturaj cant be sent to the main auction. He'll be a hot cake - a young opener who has the experience of top scoring in an IPL and winning a title for his team. He's also being looked at as CSK's future captain. Same with Moeen Ali, whose all-round abilities make him a hot proposition. He's plundering runs right now as we speak in the T10 league. Also with CSK set to return to Chepauk this coming season, Ali's off spin will be crucial and also his batting against spinners on a tricky Chepauk wicket will be significant.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I missed out commenting on Mumbai .They've retained Rohit and Boom,as was widely expected. The extra 2 retentions would have taken away a bulk of their purse and I think they are playing smart here by trying to go after the mega guns in the auctions. I did expect them to retain Kishan and perhaps groom him as a future leader. Guess, they can still do so by picking him up during the auctions OR even look at Boom as a prospective leader.

Anyway you look at, I am very happy they didn't look at retaining Pollard, SKY or either of the Pandyas.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I missed out commenting on Mumbai .They've retained Rohit and Boom,as was widely expected. The extra 2 retentions would have taken away a bulk of their purse and I think they are playing smart here by trying to go after the mega guns in the auctions. I did expect them to retain Kishan and perhaps groom him as a future leader. Guess, they can still do so by picking him up during the auctions OR even look at Boom as a prospective leader.

Anyway you look at, I am very happy they didn't look at retaining Pollard, SKY or either of the Pandyas.

MI’s retention list is not final. Expect two more additions to it today in the final retention announcements. I guess they released Rohit and Bumrah name because those are very straightforward.

On Punjab, Preity again is going to enter the mega auction with lot of money and will annoy other teams by jacking up prices and buying big players. However by the end of the cycle, she is back to square one. She’s the laughing stock of IPL. ‍:D

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Imagine Jofra and Rashid joining Mumbai with Bumrah.. Spicy!!!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
No mega auction until the BCCI fancies some more of that sweet franchise money from selling a two more franchises
Mark my words! It will happen every 4-5 years. The BCCI will only stand to gain by introducing newer teams and eventually building it into a 16/18 team event with promotions and relegations.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I feel mega auctions are required to keep teams from just dominating the tournament forever! I know some teams just dont seem to understand the dynamics and keep underperforming perennially. But a mega auction reshuffles things drastically and keeps the tournament interesting. There are also opportunities for players who want to play for a certain franchise, to increase their odds of being picked by that franchise.

Maybe they can have the mega auction once in 5 years (add 2 extra years to the current 3-yr cycle). But 2 mega auctions per decade is certainly important.

Edit: @icyman - MI has also retained Pollard and Suryakumar Yadav now, taking their list to the full 4 retentions. SKY is a surprise as I thought they would go for Ishan Kishan, considering the age factor and the multi-utility of Kishan (opener, keeper, left hand variety). But well, waiting to see if Ishan is drafted in the new teams or he gets into the main auction.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Bullshit from KKR. Time to move on from this franchise. Varun while posses special skills, he could have been bought in the auction. Gill has been instrumental and should have been our captain in this new beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread