Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I didn't think he would make a comeback after BCCI had banned the ICL players when he was only 21 but was chuffed when the ban was lifted.

IIRC, amongst the other major players, the likes of Stuart Binny, Dheeraj Jadhav and R. Satish were also allowed back and Binny & Satish played in IPL as well. Not sure about the FC stalwart Jadhav.

Such nostalgic names.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Yeah I remember R Sathish playing the IPL. Jadhav I don't know if he ever did. Thanks to Mumbai Indians I think who picked Rayudu for the first time in the IPL and he did have 1 or 2 strong seasons for the MI.
Yes, him and Saurabh Tiwary made a name for themselves by finishing off games for MI. Unfortunately Tiwary couldn't replicate his success with other franchises.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Me too, the ICL absolutely sabotaged his career and even there it was clear he was a special talent. He had his own disciplinary issues but in another nation he would have been managed in a better way for sure.

I’m still ambivalent over Rahane’s return to the test side but this WTC final is the best opportunity for him, he isn’t going to be blamed should he not deliver and if he does perform he’ll most likely have a spot in the side secured for some time.
I was a fan of Raydu and Khaleel who never got a chance as well from ICL days

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Love CSK!!! What a final that was! Lost for words… Need time to compose myself.

JADDU - what a time to shut mouths!!! :cheers:clap:p:cheers
Enjoy the evening! I am sure this one is a special for you!

B

Bigby Wolf

Rayudu cameo was brilliant.

He did that so many times for MI back in the day and now in his final game.

Just before the game started I was cursing Jadeja on how he fails to in big matches and how did he prove it wrong today!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Exhausting 2 days, but such a mighty roller coaster ride and one that ended in ABSOLUTE ECSTASY!!! Chennai Super Kings are the CHAMPIONS again!!! 5 titles and a damn incredible legacy that just keeps giving!!

I knew the moment the rain came in the second innings that CSK is going to be favored if they chase a shortened total (well fair play to them, that Dhoni chose to bowl first for this very reason). If the rain had not come and the game hadn't been shortened, Gujarat would've won this easy. But well.... fortune favors the brave! CSK bowling and fielding was horribly sloppy and with that kind of a performance and with Gujarat's bowling lineup, 214 was a mountain to climb. But the rain, the shortened game and also the wetness all played into CSK's hands (maybe the rain was also scripted for the 'farewell' party according to the eternal twisted minds :rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes).

Conway and Ruturaj set the tone with that slam bang opening partnership, but the hero to me was AMBATI TIRUPATI RAYUDU!! Announcing his retirement from IPL a few hours before this match, he came out and played such a terrific cameo and took on one of the best bowlers of the tournament who was also excellent in death overs and also was bowling so well in this match. But that assault of '6, 4, 6' in Mohit Sharma's 2nd over turned the match on its head. It was so damn good that the back to back wickets of Rayudu and Dhoni did not matter. But Gujarat came back from that superbly and almost won the game (when 11 was needed off 3) but that six from Jaddu off the penultimate ball was sensational and made Mohit terribly miss his line off the last ball. Also doff the hat to Shivam Dube, who has been brilliant in this tournament but was struggling to hit Rashid and Noor today. But suddenly, he got it right and tonked Rashid (of all) for consecutive sixes which preceded that Rayudu assault.

Everyone will talk on and on and on about CSK, its legacy and we have talked about this here too (some passionately; some cynically; some downright abusively). But I just want to doff the hat to the backroom staff and the franchise. Took a lot of brickbats for the ticketing issue this year at the Chepauk and as usual the constant spate of injuries and the very thin resources, but they converted all of that into a title win with all of that work. I wish this backroom staff never dismantles (Fleming seems to send out feelers that he might move to bigger roles with the franchise like Jayawardena in MI; but I don't want that as Fleming is the best person to guide the transition with Huss and Bravo).

On Dhoni - He ended the presentation saying "I need to work hard in the next 9 months and see how my body goes and possibly try to play one more IPL season as a gift to the love of the fans", gladdening the hearts of millions and quieting the naysayers. Just for his naysayers to keep fluttering their mouths, I want Dhoni back again and again and again.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I was a fan of Raydu and Khaleel who never got a chance as well from ICL days
Good riddance that Rayudu will be out. Never liked him. A big cry baby who wasn't loyal to any side -state, franchise or country. If things didn't go his way, he would quit and move on.
Love CSK!!! What a final that was! Lost for words… Need time to compose myself.

JADDU - what a time to shut mouths!!! :cheers:clap:p:cheers
Admit that at the half way stage didn't expect CSK to win. Thought it would be close, but this was epic.

Had the rain not been there, GT would've taken it.

Bits and pieces performances from the team yesterday helped them cross over. Well done!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
CSK just won the IPL without their most expensive buy at the auction. Unbelievable!

Incredible that he wasn't required. Maybe they might use him in future, but I am not sure if we will be able to slot him in well enough. Also if he needs to leave before playoffs everytime, it will be a sore point

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Exhausting 2 days, but such a mighty roller coaster ride and one that ended in ABSOLUTE ECSTASY!!! Chennai Super Kings are the CHAMPIONS again!!! 5 titles and a damn incredible legacy that just keeps giving!!

I knew the moment the rain came in the second innings that CSK is going to be favored if they chase a shortened total (well fair play to them, that Dhoni chose to bowl first for this very reason). If the rain had not come and the game hadn't been shortened, Gujarat would've won this easy. But well.... fortune favors the brave! CSK bowling and fielding was horribly sloppy and with that kind of a performance and with Gujarat's bowling lineup, 214 was a mountain to climb. But the rain, the shortened game and also the wetness all played into CSK's hands (maybe the rain was also scripted for the 'farewell' party according to the eternal twisted minds :rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes).

Conway and Ruturaj set the tone with that slam bang opening partnership, but the hero to me was AMBATI TIRUPATI RAYUDU!! Announcing his retirement from IPL a few hours before this match, he came out and played such a terrific cameo and took on one of the best bowlers of the tournament who was also excellent in death overs and also was bowling so well in this match. But that assault of '6, 4, 6' in Mohit Sharma's 2nd over turned the match on its head. It was so damn good that the back to back wickets of Rayudu and Dhoni did not matter. But Gujarat came back from that superbly and almost won the game (when 11 was needed off 3) but that six from Jaddu off the penultimate ball was sensational and made Mohit terribly miss his line off the last ball. Also doff the hat to Shivam Dube, who has been brilliant in this tournament but was struggling to hit Rashid and Noor today. But suddenly, he got it right and tonked Rashid (of all) for consecutive sixes which preceded that Rayudu assault.

Everyone will talk on and on and on about CSK, its legacy and we have talked about this here too (some passionately; some cynically; some downright abusively). But I just want to doff the hat to the backroom staff and the franchise. Took a lot of brickbats for the ticketing issue this year at the Chepauk and as usual the constant spate of injuries and the very thin resources, but they converted all of that into a title win with all of that work. I wish this backroom staff never dismantles (Fleming seems to send out feelers that he might move to bigger roles with the franchise like Jayawardena in MI; but I don't want that as Fleming is the best person to guide the transition with Huss and Bravo).

On Dhoni - He ended the presentation saying "I need to work hard in the next 9 months and see how my body goes and possibly try to play one more IPL season as a gift to the love of the fans", gladdening the hearts of millions and quieting the naysayers. Just for his naysayers to keep fluttering their mouths, I want Dhoni back again and again and again.
Summing it up perfectly but Rahane’s knock was more crucial. CSK having lost both the openers successively, he helped kept the run rate going when Dube was struggling initially.

Rahane to captain next year?.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Incredible that he wasn't required. Maybe they might use him in future, but I am not sure if we will be able to slot him in well enough. Also if he needs to leave before playoffs everytime, it will be a sore point

I honestly dont see a place for him in the side. He is injury prone and not reliable when it comes to the crunch scenarios(as in playoffs). Plus, the point regards slotting him in is a major worry. CSK might do well with an Indian AR instead/ someone like Sam Curran (who will probably be released next year).

As for the bowling, with Maheesh and Pathirana, they seem to have found a good core. It needs to be backed up by a better Indian bowler. Chahar blows hot and cold and might not be the best foot forth for them.
Summing it up perfectly but Rahane’s knock was more crucial. CSK having lost both the openers successively, he helped kept the run rate going when Dube was struggling initially.

Rahane to captain next year?.

Seems likely. Rahane's career seems to have gotten a massive boost here. If the next one is indeed MSD's last, I expect Rahane to step into the leadership role soon. He will be a mainstay in the middle order as they will need someone of his calibre to play a quickfire knock or hold the fort in case things go awry. With Rayudu out of the equation, Rahane becomes more important.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I honestly dont see a place for him in the side. He is injury prone and not reliable when it comes to the crunch scenarios(as in playoffs).

Hol’ up, are you saying that Ben Stokes out of ALL the people out there is unreliable in crunch situations?

Users who are viewing this thread