IPL Indian Premier League - General Discussion

The Indian Premier League...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
£1M to the winners, Twenty20 just became the competition every domestic side wants to win suddenly!

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I'm getting bloody sick of T20 already. Too much of it. Baaaaaaah...

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I have updated the first post for people not wanting to trundle through several websites.

Update: 13th September 2007

The new league will be called the Champions Twenty20 League and will contain eight teams; two from each of India, England, Australia and South Africa. These two teams will be the teams that come first and second from their respective national competitions. These competitions will be the ones currently present in South Africa, Australia and England.

However, the competition in India will be franchised, with franchises owning the teams and earning a percentage of the centralised revenue. The league is scheduled to start in April 2008 and will last for 44 days, with 59 matches. The prize money for the league will be around $3million. The teams will play each other on Saturday evenings on a home-away basis. This national competition will be called the Indian Premier League.

The Champions Twenty20 League will be held in one country (likely India or less likely Australia) and held in October 2008. ''There will be 16 players in each team which may have two to three foreign players, at least four under 21 players and a minimum four cricketers from the catchment area,'' Modi said in his opening presentation. The main talking point of the tournament will be the prize money which is $2.5 million, $1 million of which will go to the winners and the rest, presumably to runners up and third place.

A draft will take place as well as transfers of players between teams for money. There will be a salary cap but this will not apply to marquee signings. The tournament is officially sanctioned by the ICC.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^^ But the big question is how will it improve the Indian domestic cricket?Its 20-20 lol.

Those domestic players just need exposure, thats all. This tournament or this league does not need to improve them as players. They are already good players. They just need that much needed exposure. The more exposure and the more popularity, the more tough it will become to get into the domestic team. Which will probably mean, better players coming through.

Well ICL has the advantage that their tournament is this year whereas this tournament is supposed to begin October 2008.

Whatever. I think the ICL has already won the battle. They have made the BCCI shake up and act in the right direction even though it is against the ICL. This is an indirect challenge to BCCI's monopoly. They now will be careful to see that the ICL does not get one up with them. If the ICL goes ahead with their plans, expect to see more competition. I feel its Indian cricket that is going to benefit from this battle.

All these people so sick of Twenty20 and yet they can't stop talking about it!

Twenty20 is fun. I loved the West Indies - South Africa match. Initially I was apprehensive, but its fun. Its not all out slam bang. It is surely going to make bowlers develop innovative tactics and the game is surely going to evolve in the future. But its entertainment guaranteed. I am starting to love this format. Its super time pass. Test cricket will remain the ultimate prize for a cricketer, but 20-20 is for the crowds.

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
I'm getting bloody sick of T20 already. Too much of it. Baaaaaaah...

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Nothing is making you take any interest in it. Don't like it? Don;t watch it or talk about it. Pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm glad the ICC did this. It pretty much kills the ICL. Now that competition won't have half the players they expected and it'll end up being quite half-assed.

No Kiwi teams go through, so I guess Fleming will be franchised for an Indian team, unless Australia can take him. I bet Astle, Harris and Cairns will be avaliable too. They've been involved I think. Maybe it was just with the ICL. I'd imagine they'd rather be doing this.

This doesn;t start for a year though. A lot can happen in that time.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
All these people so sick of Twenty20 and yet they can't stop talking about it!

Yes, it's pretty hard to ignore, seeing as all teams are playing a T20 world cup right now. Even this forum suddenly can talk about nothing but T20. What do you expect me to do in such a situation?

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Nothing is making you take any interest in it. Don't like it? Don;t watch it or talk about it. Pretend it doesn't exist..

Try that yourself with something you don't like and tell me how easy it is to do... :rolleyes: Easy to preach isn't it?

Last edited:

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, it's pretty hard to ignore, seeing as all teams are playing a T20 world cup right now. Even this forum suddenly can talk about nothing but T20. What do you expect me to do in such a situation?

Except you seem to comment more on Twenty20 than some people who actually like it.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Yes, it usually happens that way... because I have a lot of things to say about it - both positive and negative.

Not that I hate T20, but I think it's given way too much importance way too early in its existence.

I would prefer to watch T20 occasionally as a change from the 50 over format. But as a serious game intended to benefit the quality of Test and ODI cricket, I don't see much use in it.

I am more sick at the way the cricket boards are trying to milk it to the full for their commercial benefits. :(

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I take it you prefer it when a certain board milk 50 over matches for commercial benefits then :p

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
I take it you prefer it when a certain board milk 50 over matches for commercial benefits then :p

Hmm.. to be honest I already mentioned that I would have preferred a longer Test series than a long ODI series. I do like Test cricket.

I have a lot of problem with the BCCI on that score. First they are the ones who ridiculed T20 and then when they saw the money in that game to be milked they conveniently convince themselves that it's the "future" of cricket.

So my problem is more with the BCCI's opportunism than T20 itself... The BCCI "Professional League" smacks of opportunism to me... That's why I get sick when people go ga-ga over T20 - because it's not really so innovative as it's made out to be. It's just a logical contraction of ODI cricket.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I am not a Twenty20 fan, but a Champions League will be great. Victoria will clean up though you guys know :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I am not a Twenty20 fan, but a Champions League will be great. Victoria will clean up though you guys know :D

That doesnt matter. The exposure that the Indian domestic teams will now get is invaluable. We all know Australia has probably the best system for cricket.

Twenty20 is FANTASTIC, Twenty20 is AWESOME, Twenty20 is MIND BLOWING, Twenty20 is spectacular, Twenty20 is the ULTIMATE.........................................................................................................lolz

Users who are viewing this thread