Indian Premier League - General Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I dont know what people see's in Pant. He looks ugly when he cant execute his shots. Samson is better than him as a batsman and plays lovely shots . So i think samson should replace dhoni instead of Pant.

True that. Rishabh Pant is massively overrated. The more I see of him, the more I cringe. Dhoni became Dhoni because his big hitting flowed smoothly and did not look like an ugly attempt at getting the accelerator going. Pant on the other hand looks ugly at this very young age. I do not see a very bright future for him with this gameplay. And yes, Samson is a way better bet/bat than Pant. Heck, even Parthiv Patel looks better for god's sake.

Just too far with that one. Test cricket requires real top class wicket keeping, and that is the only thing which Sanju lacks (especially when compared to Saha).

You need safe keeping in tests. The world class standards have fallen, within the sport in general. These days with pitches favoring the batsmen a lot more and with the T20 influence showing in the scoring rate, the wicketkeeper in test match cricket is not challenged as much as he used to, even a decade back. If you have safe hands and are reliable with the catches, you are good for test level. I think Karthik and Samson tick those boxes (Parthiv, I think, has still not lost his butter fingers).

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Calling it now. Top 4 teams at the end of the league stage.
1. Sunrisers
2. KXIP
3. CSK
4. KKR/ RR
though I supported rcb for the past years and have now switched to kxip this year. I don't see rcb going very far if they don't start thinking about their middle/lower order hitting. Coulter Nile's injury also was a huge loss. They need to rethink their line up. It's either de kock or mccullum, not both. Easily could go with this line up
1. de kock
2. Vohra
3. Kohli
4. De villiers
5. Mandeep
6. De grandhomme/ali
7. Sundar
8. Woakes
9. Siraj
10. Chahal
11. Yadav

They can also go a step further and play sundar at 6 and bring in southee to open the bowling with woakes. It hurts to see them have such a good squad every year but not use it properly.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
1. Sunrisers
2. KXIP
3. CSK
4. KKR/ RR
though I supported rcb for the past years and have now switched to kxip this year. I don't see rcb going very far if they don't start thinking about their middle/lower order hitting. Coulter Nile's injury also was a huge loss. They need to rethink their line up. It's either de kock or mccullum, not both. Easily could go with this line up
1. de kock
2. Vohra
3. Kohli
4. De villiers
5. Mandeep
6. De grandhomme/ali
7. Sundar
8. Woakes
9. Siraj
10. Chahal
11. Yadav

They can also go a step further and play sundar at 6 and bring in southee to open the bowling with woakes. It hurts to see them have such a good squad every year but not use it properly.

Too early to call off Mumbai! They have been in similar situations where they started off the tournament in horrid fashion but then scraped through to win the title! Also, all of Mumbai's defeats so far have been incredibly close ones where they could have won all 3 of them if luck was on their side.

I am most worried about CSK. From what we've seen so far, they are the most outdated of all sides, and not just in the area of the players age but also in their plans and the execution. I mean CSK are acting as if they did not lose their 2 years and that they are playing in 2016. When the captain (who was retained before the auction itself) says that we are an oldies side and we are not going to be a great fielding side, that itself says how poorly they performed in the auctions and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't bite them hard.

P.s: This is not any attempt at reverse jinxing. This is genuine (many here know my CSK loyalty, hence this disclaimer).

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
1. Sunrisers
2. KXIP
3. CSK
4. KKR/ RR
1. de kock
2. Vohra
3. Kohli
4. De villiers
5. Mandeep
6. De grandhomme/ali
7. Sundar
8. Woakes
9. Siraj
10. Chahal
11. Yadav

Agree wth the lineup, except Siraj. He has been just leaking runs in international cricket, but who knows what he might do here? But I would rather prefer Saini over him. CDG is just too good a player to be sitting out.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
1. Sunrisers
2. KXIP
3. CSK
4. KKR/ RR
1. de kock
2. Vohra
3. Kohli
4. De villiers
5. Mandeep
6. De grandhomme/ali
7. Sundar
8. Woakes
9. Siraj
10. Chahal
11. Yadav

Parthiv Patel is better option than Vohra. And Sundar can play the finishing role. We all have see how capable he is with the bat in the past two games and also in domestic circuit previously for which he was selected to play for the national side.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Too early to call off Mumbai! They have been in similar situations where they started off the tournament in horrid fashion but then scraped through to win the title! Also, all of Mumbai's defeats so far have been incredibly close ones where they could have won all 3 of them if luck was on their side.

I am most worried about CSK. From what we've seen so far, they are the most outdated of all sides, and not just in the area of the players age but also in their plans and the execution. I mean CSK are acting as if they did not lose their 2 years and that they are playing in 2016. When the captain (who was retained before the auction itself) says that we are an oldies side and we are not going to be a great fielding side, that itself says how poorly they performed in the auctions and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't bite them hard.

P.s: This is not any attempt at reverse jinxing. This is genuine (many here know my CSK loyalty, hence this disclaimer).
Very true

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Parthiv Patel is better option than Vohra. And Sundar can play the finishing role. We all have see how capable he is with the bat in the past two games and also in domestic circuit previously for which he was selected to play for the national side.
Where ever Sundar is, he has to bat higher than and Negi Woakes. Negi is a maybe, if the track offers spin they can go with him but he isn't much of an allrounder imo and is more a bowler, sure he might score a few runs in a 10 ball cameo but definitely sundar 7 and negi if in the lineup and is needed can bat at 8

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India

Personally I don't think it will be easy for CSK to come into the playoffs easily. They have been rather shaky it their last few games and they've had luck on their side most of the time. They haven't looked like the side that came into playoffs easy a few years ago. It will take a mighty effort to pull themselves into the mix. I'm sure Mumbai will come back and come into the the playoffs. It's fair to write off DD , unfortunately. Unless they regroup and fight, I think they will go down. There is still plenty of matches for a team to come strong, though, so I might be wrong kn these predictions.

My prediction:
SRH
Punjab
KKR
Mumbai/Royals

I think Mumbai has the team to come back strong. They've got all bases covered, they just didn't have luck on their side IMO.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
True that. Rishabh Pant is massively overrated. The more I see of him, the more I cringe. Dhoni became Dhoni because his big hitting flowed smoothly and did not look like an ugly attempt at getting the accelerator going. Pant on the other hand looks ugly at this very young age. I do not see a very bright future for him with this gameplay. And yes, Samson is a way better bet/bat than Pant. Heck, even Parthiv Patel looks better for god's sake.

You need safe keeping in tests. The world class standards have fallen, within the sport in general. These days with pitches favoring the batsmen a lot more and with the T20 influence showing in the scoring rate, the wicketkeeper in test match cricket is not challenged as much as he used to, even a decade back. If you have safe hands and are reliable with the catches, you are good for test level. I think Karthik and Samson tick those boxes (Parthiv, I think, has still not lost his butter fingers).

I hope we're speaking only from a limited overs POV. If you're saying for one moment that Dhoni 'looked smooth/good' as a batsman, I'd like to call that bluff. He is a born natural and has nothing copy book about him. Pant is a lot more relatable in that aspect. Dhoni became Dhoni because of his temperament and game awareness.. Clearly Pant has a long way to go but if anyone says he's not as talented as Dhoni for his age, well, they're blind and biased fans. Cricket and sport is more about how much you learn and how much you execute.. I feel technique is very overrated, specially in India. So, the Pant being overrated is a very harsh assessment. Give him time..[DOUBLEPOST=1523935840][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there anyone here who thinks Sundar would be a brilliant punt on opening the batting?

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Is there anyone here who thinks Sundar would be a brilliant punt on opening the batting?
I thought about it after last match. Maybe he can do what Narine is doing. But we won't have any striker in the middle order after ABD. Mandeep has played well in all the matches but he needs support. If we bring in Colin, then we can try out Sundar as opener.

But knowing Kohli, he will never take that approach. Atleast today he has to drop Baz and bring in Colin and he has to drop Khejroliya too.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Why should QDK be dropped? Can understand for Baz but why QDK? RCB seem to be doing well doing well but are unlucky. They should primarily focus on making small changes like getting Kohli to open and ABD one drop. de Grandhomme in place on Baz will give them some solidity down the order too. Think their biggest regret this season will be not pushing for Rahul hard enough.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Personally I don't think it will be easy for CSK to come into the playoffs easily. They have been rather shaky it their last few games and they've had luck on their side most of the time. They haven't looked like the side that came into playoffs easy a few years ago. It will take a mighty effort to pull themselves into the mix. I'm sure Mumbai will come back and come into the the playoffs. It's fair to write off DD , unfortunately. Unless they regroup and fight, I think they will go down. There is still plenty of matches for a team to come strong, though, so I might be wrong kn these predictions.

My prediction:
SRH
Punjab
KKR
Mumbai/Royals

I think Mumbai has the team to come back strong. They've got all bases covered, they just didn't have luck on their side IMO.

For CSK, it will depend on how Willey gels with the side and performs. If he gets going, CSK will 200% make the playoffs. Also Raina when he returns will be key. He needs to get going for CSK to ensure they don't wither away (which I can easily see as possible for CSK, if they dont get their game right). I think Rayudu has cemented his place at the top of the order as an opener and needs to be reverted there next game.

If CSK continue on the same mantra of chasing totals and try to perform heists in the last 3 overs, their luck will run out dry and they will lose a lot more matches. They already saw the luck run out against Punjab. Teams like SRH, MI, KKR, RR will know what to do and will execute it.

B

Bigby Wolf

I hope Sarfaraz Khan plays well today and realize this is a big opportunity that the RCB has given him and just not throw it away like he did in the prev. two games.

Users who are viewing this thread