Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Sahil180

Club Captain
what do you guys think about the timing of the ipl next year which is followed by the wc, would they prepone it ? and the availability of internationals

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
what do you guys think about the timing of the ipl next year which is followed by the wc, would they prepone it ? and the availability of internationals

It will be a poor IPL. Everyone will be saving resources for the WC. India cricketers will be jaded. Other countries will certainly save their internationals from playing in it. ALSO, there's elections in India next year.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Yeah it shouldn't be held around the WC, pre or post. There should be a gap seriously both from players' as well as viewers' point of view. If it goes ahead as per the schedule, it will be a disaster at the least.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It will be a poor IPL. Everyone will be saving resources for the WC. India cricketers will be jaded. Other countries will certainly save their internationals from playing in it. ALSO, there's elections in India next year.
I think the overseas players might play atleast half season in the month of April before joining their respective team camp for the preparation. I'm damn sure that the BCCI will try their best to protect the popularity of IPL by taking the other cricket boards and ICC into confidence.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone next year's IPL to time it post the WC. The IPL has become such a hot entity that the BCCI will not agree to scrap the IPL itself for next year. It will happen but I feel it could happen post the WC, to allow players to concentrate on the showpiece event. BCCI being rich/powerful enough can take ICC and boards into confidence.

IPL post WC (with a gap of 15 days between WC and IPL) is not a bad proposition. It will let IPL get close to best players and also might allow it to happen in India itself. Only drawback is, risks of more games being washed out since it gets closer to monsoon season.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone next year's IPL to time it post the WC. The IPL has become such a hot entity that the BCCI will not agree to scrap the IPL itself for next year. It will happen but I feel it could happen post the WC, to allow players to concentrate on the showpiece event. BCCI being rich/powerful enough can take ICC and boards into confidence.

IPL post WC (with a gap of 15 days between WC and IPL) is not a bad proposition. It will let IPL get close to best players and also might allow it to happen in India itself. Only drawback is, risks of more games being washed out since it gets closer to monsoon season.

It cannot happen in India. Half the games will be washed out. The logical thing to happen is for it to be moved elsewhere after the WC. Hopefully, to SA. :D

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
I like doing this everytime a tournament ends. :D

Team of the season (7 locals, 4 overseas)

:local: :bat: KL Rahul (KXIP)
:os: :ar: Sunil Narine (KKR)
:os: :bat: Kane Williamson (SRH)
:local: :bat: Rishabh Pant (DD)
:local: :bat: Ambati Rayudu (CSK)
:local: :wkb: MS Dhoni (CSK) :c:
:local: :ar: Hardik Pandya (MI)
:os: :bwl: Rashid Khan (SRH)
:os: :bwl: Andrew Tye (KXIP)
:local: :bwl: Siddharth Kaul (SRH)
:local: :bwl: Umesh Yadav (RCB)

12th player: :os: :ar: Shane Watson (CSK)

Team category:
Best team: Chennai Super Kings
Most improved team: Rajasthan Royals
Decline of the year: Mumbai Indians

Batsman category:
Best batsman: KL Rahul
Best youngster: Rishabh Pant
Most improved batsman: Kane Williamson
Decline of the year: Rohit Sharma, Kieron Pollard (would've mentioned Maxwell too, but he's been a decline since 4 years now)
Best innings: Shane Watson's 117* vSRH, Final
Most missed batsman/underused batsman: David Warner (SRH)

Bowler category:
Best bowler: Rashid Khan
Best youngster: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman
Most improved bowler: Umesh Yadav
Decline of the year: DJ Bravo
Best innings: Shreyas Gopal's 4.0-0-16-4 vRCB, M53
Most missed bowler/underused bowler: Sandeep Lamichhane

Misc:
Best player: Rashid Khan
Best catch: Shardul Thakur vRR, M17
Best incident/decision: Kedar Jadhav coming into bat at the last moment despite injury and pulling the victory against MI, M1
Worst incident/decision: Umpire calling no ball on a Tom Curran's delivery against MI (M43) while his foot was miles behind the line. Clearly bad signs for cricket.

Last edited:

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
I think they'll prepone it next year. There's a gap about five months into India's international schedule, prior to the world cup. Think they shall use it for IPL.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I like doing this everytime a tournament ends. :D

Team of the season (7 locals, 4 overseas)

:local: :bat: KL Rahul (KXIP)
:os: :ar: Sunil Narine (KKR)
:os: :bat: Kane Williamson (SRH)
:local: :bat: Rishabh Pant (DD)
:local: :bat: Ambati Rayudu (CSK)
:local: :wkb: MS Dhoni (CSK) :c:
:local: :ar: Hardik Pandya (MI)
:os: :bwl: Rashid Khan (SRH)
:os: :bwl: Andrew Tye (KXIP)
:local: :bwl: Siddharth Kaul (SRH)
:local: :bwl: Umesh Yadav (RCB)

12th player: :os: :ar: Shane Watson (CSK)

Team category:
Best team: Chennai Super Kings
Most improved team: Rajasthan Royals
Decline of the year: Mumbai Indians

Batsman category:
Best batsman: KL Rahul
Best youngster: Rishabh Pant
Most improved batsman: Kane Williamson
Decline of the year: Rohit Sharma, Kieron Pollard (would've mentioned Maxwell too, but he's been a decline since 4 years now)
Best innings: Shane Watson's 117* vSRH, Final
Most missed batsman/underused batsman: David Warner (SRH)

Bowler category:
Best bowler: Rashid Khan
Best youngster: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman
Most improved bowler: Umesh Yadav
Decline of the year: DJ Bravo
Best innings: Shreyas Gopal's 4.0-0-16-4 vRCB, M53
Most missed bowler/underused bowler: Sandeep Lamichhane

Misc:
Best player: Rashid Khan
Best catch: Shardul Thakur vRR, M17
Best incident/decision: Kedar Jadhav coming into bat at the last moment despite injury and pulling the victory against MI, M1
Worst incident/decision: Umpire calling no ball on a Tom Curran's delivery against MI (M43) while his foot was miles behind the line. Clearly bad signs for cricket.

Almost nailed it! My only change would be for the Best Catch of the Tournament and my pick would be the ABD superhuman effort on the boundary line. I mean IMHO, no one can come close to that, not even that Trent Boult effort on the boundary line (which would be a distant second).

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
I think they'll prepone it next year. There's a gap about five months into India's international schedule, prior to the world cup. Think they shall use it for IPL.
Yep, like 2010, where the IPL was over by Mar 25.
Edit: Apr 25.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Wasn't there a talk of moving IPL overseas in lieu of the elections next year? Something like what they did in 2009?

Anyways, taking nothing away from CSK, this is where I think a best of 3 Finals eliminates the luck factor. There's not much SRH could have done against batting like that. All the hard work of over 1.5 months gone down the drain because of one special innings.

One thing that was getting on my nerves was the insistence of SRH bowlers (Kaul and Carlos) to bowl short (and at speeds between 120-135 kmph) to a set Watson. He kept whacking them for 4s and 6s and still they continued to bowl short. Gotta wonder why didn't anyone or they themselves not think of fixing that.

Sahil180

Club Captain
Yep, like 2010, where the IPL was over by Mar 25.
Edit: Apr 25.
That could happen but it still might lose some international players on their duties unless ICC and other boards give ipl a window also it could clash with psl

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
My review of the playoff teams, now that the tournament is over:

Rajasthan Royals: Had a very underwhelming season and one must say, they gave the feeling to the audience that they were 'not deserving of the playoff spot' ahead of teams like Mumbai and RCB. The captaincy and decision making was confusing for the most part and Ajinkya Rahane handled his own batting position in a very sloppy manner. Buttler's move to the top was what helped Rajasthan qualify at the last minute but the moment Buttler left for national duty, no one else took over the lead from him. They tried to replicate the Rising Pune Supergiants formula from 2017, but failed miserably at it. Steve Smith's unavailability hurt them more because they missed his captaincy which was a factor in Pune's run to the final last season. They will have a lot of thinking to do next season - where to fit Rahane more so when Smith comes back. For them, Tripathi and Buttler are sure shot options for the top but Rahane can't bat anywhere else.

Kolkata Knight Riders: Had a pretty good season and extremely well led by Dinesh Karthik. Their bowling continues to be dominated by the spinners and they have an extremely dangerous spin attack with Narine, Kuldeep and Chawla. Robin Uthappa and Lynn's patchy form this season hurt them a lot and it was invariably left to Karthik and Russell to propel them forward. Also their overseas seamer slot never worked for them and needs a relook. I think Mitch Johnson is done and they need to look past him. I like the way KKR invested in Gill, Mavi and the likes and it could pay rich dividends for them in the upcoming seasons.

Sunrisers Hyderbad: Best team of the tournament and just wonder how they missed that title. Everyone knows how outstanding a bowling attack they had. Also their batting started firing at the right time, carried forward by their captain who was also the Orange Cap holder. They lost steam towards the ending stages of the league phase where they might think cracks started developing and teams felt more confident because of it. I think their middle order was a very weak spot especially with Manish Pandey being a star failure this season. Yusuf, Shakib, Braithwaite and Hooda are decent but they need a few proper batsmen in the middle who can inspire more confidence. David Warner's return should help stabilize the top but I would continue with Kane Williamson as captain. To me, he is the calmer head and IMHO such captains have higher probability of doing well (as seen this IPL with the likes of Dhoni, Williamson, Karthik, etc vs the likes of Kohli, Gambhir, Rohit, etc).

Chennai Super Kings: I still am finding it hard to believe they won the title!! Spoken a lot about them throughout this season. Things fell for them at the right place with the players performing when it was absolutely needed. That's all I can say. I am sure a lot of other people will be scratching their heads right now to understand how in the world did CSK win the title with such a team. The bowling definitely looked weak for most part of the tournament. The fielding also looked ragged for most part of the tournament. What helped massively was the feel good factor of the side returning after a hiatus, the talismanic captain and the legend MSD and the bonding atmosphere that was created by the owners who have always stuck to a core with such stubborn-ness that it has now become a model for other teams. From an upcoming season perspective, CSK need to be careful the most because the nostalgia and the honeymoon period is over and their 'dad's army' will get a year older and will become harder to keep them fit and focused. We cannot have comparatively younger players getting unfit and losing games (e.g. Jadhav, Raina, Santner, etc). Hopefully Santner and Jadhav's return in the next seasons should further bolster the team in the middle overs. Lungi Ngidi is going to be a force for CSK in the next two years and I can't wait to see that. I hope they can keep David Willey and maybe release Imran Tahir if necessary. Willey did not do anything with the bat this season but he can be a terror with the bat. If the IPL is held outside India next year, Willey will be crucial to the plans.

Users who are viewing this thread