Indian Premier League - General Discussion

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
One person who's not getting enough praise for CSK's triumph IMHO is Fleming. His record in the IPL is simply phenomenal, be it with CSK or RPS. Strategically, CSK did a lot right to hide their weaknesses on the field and in reality, had only the 4th or 5th best team in the league in terms of strength. I think they can be compared to the Real Madrid side who have won 3 consecutive Champions League titles in certain aspects. Both teams have obvious weaknesses, positions/players who even the casual watcher can identify as glaring weak links. But what both teams also have is a collection of "clutch" players - players who will perform at their best levels when it's needed the most.

I think they'll prepone it next year. There's a gap about five months into India's international schedule, prior to the world cup. Think they shall use it for IPL.

But what about other countries? Do they have a break too? Having it after the WC might be the best idea for everyone involved, maybe even in a new location if necessary.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I like doing this everytime a tournament ends. :D

Team of the season (7 locals, 4 overseas)

:local: :bat: KL Rahul (KXIP)
:os: :ar: Sunil Narine (KKR)
:os: :bat: Kane Williamson (SRH)
:local: :bat: Rishabh Pant (DD)
:local: :bat: Ambati Rayudu (CSK)
:local: :wkb: MS Dhoni (CSK) :c:
:local: :ar: Hardik Pandya (MI)
:os: :bwl: Rashid Khan (SRH)
:os: :bwl: Andrew Tye (KXIP)
:local: :bwl: Siddharth Kaul (SRH)
:local: :bwl: Umesh Yadav (RCB)

12th player: :os: :ar: Shane Watson (CSK)

Team category:
Best team: Chennai Super Kings
Most improved team: Rajasthan Royals
Decline of the year: Mumbai Indians

Batsman category:
Best batsman: KL Rahul
Best youngster: Rishabh Pant
Most improved batsman: Kane Williamson
Decline of the year: Rohit Sharma, Kieron Pollard (would've mentioned Maxwell too, but he's been a decline since 4 years now)
Best innings: Shane Watson's 117* vSRH, Final
Most missed batsman/underused batsman: David Warner (SRH)

Bowler category:
Best bowler: Rashid Khan
Best youngster: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman
Most improved bowler: Umesh Yadav
Decline of the year: DJ Bravo
Best innings: Shreyas Gopal's 4.0-0-16-4 vRCB, M53
Most missed bowler/underused bowler: Sandeep Lamichhane

Misc:
Best player: Rashid Khan
Best catch: Shardul Thakur vRR, M17
Best incident/decision: Kedar Jadhav coming into bat at the last moment despite injury and pulling the victory against MI, M1
Worst incident/decision: Umpire calling no ball on a Tom Curran's delivery against MI (M43) while his foot was miles behind the line. Clearly bad signs for cricket.

Just a few things. Pant at no. 5 and Shane Watson in place of Narine. Best catch has to be the Trent Boult one. Best bowler has to be Andrew Tye. Last year royals did not play. How they are most improved team? I think it has to be Punjab, at least for the first half of IPL. Decline(s) of the year: Jaydev Unadkat, Ben Stokes, Ajinkya Rahane, Imran Tahir, Mayank Agarwal, Manish Pandey, Rohit Sharma (for sure), Dwayne Bravo, Yuvraj Singh (flop), Washington Sundar, Quinton De Kock, Brendon McCullum, Sarfaraz Khan (he was retained by RCB) and many more.
I missed a lot of players like Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins, Coulter Nile, Mitchell Santner, Joe Root (I wanted to see him play)

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I like doing this everytime a tournament ends. :D

Team of the season (7 locals, 4 overseas)

:local: :bat: KL Rahul (KXIP)
:os: :ar: Sunil Narine (KKR)
:os: :bat: Kane Williamson (SRH)
:local: :bat: Rishabh Pant (DD)
:local: :bat: Ambati Rayudu (CSK)
:local: :wkb: MS Dhoni (CSK) :c:
:local: :ar: Hardik Pandya (MI)
:os: :bwl: Rashid Khan (SRH)
:os: :bwl: Andrew Tye (KXIP)
:local: :bwl: Siddharth Kaul (SRH)
:local: :bwl: Umesh Yadav (RCB)

12th player: :os: :ar: Shane Watson (CSK)

Team category:
Best team: Chennai Super Kings
Most improved team: Rajasthan Royals
Decline of the year: Mumbai Indians

Batsman category:
Best batsman: KL Rahul
Best youngster: Rishabh Pant
Most improved batsman: Kane Williamson
Decline of the year: Rohit Sharma, Kieron Pollard (would've mentioned Maxwell too, but he's been a decline since 4 years now)
Best innings: Shane Watson's 117* vSRH, Final
Most missed batsman/underused batsman: David Warner (SRH)

Bowler category:
Best bowler: Rashid Khan
Best youngster: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman
Most improved bowler: Umesh Yadav
Decline of the year: DJ Bravo
Best innings: Shreyas Gopal's 4.0-0-16-4 vRCB, M53
Most missed bowler/underused bowler: Sandeep Lamichhane

Misc:
Best player: Rashid Khan
Best catch: Shardul Thakur vRR, M17
Best incident/decision: Kedar Jadhav coming into bat at the last moment despite injury and pulling the victory against MI, M1
Worst incident/decision: Umpire calling no ball on a Tom Curran's delivery against MI (M43) while his foot was miles behind the line. Clearly bad signs for cricket.
Why is Hardik in this line up?

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Definitely, krunal is a much better talent than his overrated brother
It is not about the talent. How many wickets did Krunal pick? How many runs did he score? Definitely Hardik was much better this season. Not a lot of All-rounders did well this season.[DOUBLEPOST=1527591888][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe he just picked the players from each team. I think Krunal Pandya was the better choice.
^

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
It is not about the talent. How many wickets did Krunal pick? How many runs did he score? Definitely Hardik was much better this season. Not a lot of All-rounders did well this season.[DOUBLEPOST=1527591888][/DOUBLEPOST]
^
Only 6 less,Hardik Pandya was expensive and also bowled at the death a lot, where bowlers tend to get a lot of "garbage wickets" only thing good about Hardik is his fielding. Slogger who can't hit anything over 135kph and is extremely expensive. Doesn't even deserve to be in India's team[DOUBLEPOST=1527598225][/DOUBLEPOST]
Only 6 less,Hardik Pandya was expensive and also bowled at the death a lot, where bowlers tend to get a lot of "garbage wickets" only thing good about Hardik is his fielding. Slogger who can't hit anything over 135kph and is extremely expensive. Doesn't even deserve to be in India's team
Was also very hard for left arm spinners this year it seems

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Only 6 less,Hardik Pandya was expensive and also bowled at the death a lot, where bowlers tend to get a lot of "garbage wickets" only thing good about Hardik is his fielding. Slogger who can't hit anything over 135kph and is extremely expensive. Doesn't even deserve to be in India's team
Oh really! Champions Trophy Final. That was a waste of knock, I think. He has not done well against pacers in international cricket but in IPL, he has a lot of pacers even some international ones. Also I will tell you his exact economy this IPL: 8.93, wickets: 18 (highest for his side, more than Bumrah)
And how many runs he made: 260
Now Krunal Pandya: 228 runs and 12 wickets at 7.07
You only said Pandya bowler in death overs which tell why he is expensive but still he has taken good number of wickets.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
But what about other countries? Do they have a break too? Having it after the WC might be the best idea for everyone involved, maybe even in a new location if necessary.

Might be possible in other country and after WC, given that all nations usually like a break after WCs, so that many foreign players might become available.

Why is Hardik in this line up?

Played better than rest of the all rounders (except Narine) I think. Nice with the ball throughout if not brilliant. Had minimum opportunities with the bat but still did well.

Just a few things. Pant at no. 5 and Shane Watson in place of Narine. Best catch has to be the Trent Boult one. Best bowler has to be Andrew Tye. Last year royals did not play. How they are most improved team? I think it has to be Punjab, at least for the first half of IPL. Decline(s) of the year: Jaydev Unadkat, Ben Stokes, Ajinkya Rahane, Imran Tahir, Mayank Agarwal, Manish Pandey, Rohit Sharma (for sure), Dwayne Bravo, Yuvraj Singh (flop), Washington Sundar, Quinton De Kock, Brendon McCullum, Sarfaraz Khan (he was retained by RCB) and many more.
I missed a lot of players like Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins, Coulter Nile, Mitchell Santner, Joe Root (I wanted to see him play)

Rajasthan Royals have actually improved in terms of purchasing players at the auction than their previous seasons. And yes KXIP were all hot during the first half of the tournament. But I've analyzed teams' and players' overall perfomances of the season.

Rashid Khan had delivered what was required out of him almost everytime. Won't say Tye didn't do the same for KXIP but Rashid had an upper hand despite the number of wickets he took. He always bowled at crucial stages, he possessed an important role at SRH than Tye at KXIP.

I'd agree point made about Krunal over Hardik, but Krunal had less opportunities throughout games and hence pretty less to show up than Hardik. Blame his luck, and captaincy. I really feel he was underused despite featuring in all the games for MI this season.

Varun7

Batman
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Best Vivo IPL Matches Of 2018
Match 01 - MI vs CSK
Match 05 - CSK vs KKR
Match 07 - SRH vs MI
Match 08 - RCB vs KXIP
Match 12 - KXIP vs CSK
Match 20 - SRH vs CSK
Match 21 - RR vs MI
Match 22 - DD vs KXIP
Match 23 - MI vs SRH
Match 24 - RCB vs CSK
Match 25 - SRH vs KXIP
Match 28 - RR vs SRH
Match 30 - CSK vs DD
Match 31 - RCB vs MI
Match 32 - DD vs RR
Match 36 - SRH vs DD
Match 37 - MI vs KKR
Match 39 - SRH vs RCB
Match 40 - RR vs KXIP
Match 43 - RR vs CSK
Match 44 - KXIP vs KKR
Match 50 - MI vs KXIP
Match 51 - RCB vs SRH
Match 53 - RR vs RCB
Match 55 - DD vs MI
Match 56 - CSK vs KXIP
Qualifiers 1 - SRH vs CSK
Eliminators - KKR vs RR
Qualifiers 2 - SRH vs KKR
Finals - CSK vs SRH

Last edited:

Ron_22726

School Cricketer
Why Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) and Delhi Daredevils (DD) get underperformed in every IPL.It's been six years since Delhi Daredevils and four years since Kings Xi Punjab qualified in the ipl.Does they lack something........

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Talks going on for Dhawan transferring to Mumbai Indians. If this happens Sharma Dhawan to open every where.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Would be very surprised if this is true. Like him or not, Dhawan is one of the best limited overs batsmen in the world. With Warner returning, he would've made one of the strongest top orders in the league with Williamson at number 3. What's the point in trading an elite batsman for three all-rounders who've been good but not great? SRH on the verge of making a catastrophic error.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25128074/shikhar-dhawan-set-return-delhi-daredevils-11-years
It's been confirmed

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...abad-confirm-trading-unsettled-shikhar-dhawan

Users who are viewing this thread