Indian Premier League - General Discussion

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I feel there should have been a complete 'reset.' No retentions and no RTM's.
I felt 3 should have been enough.
And it's necessary. RCB is associated with Kohli since beginning. RCB won't be the same without him even if we get other amazing players.

Similarly csk and msd has a bond. So, players should be retained.

B

Bigby Wolf

Retention list of all the franchises will be out pre auction any eta ? Also I won't be surprised if Delhi doesn't retain a single player this time around as well:D.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Retention list of all the franchises will be out pre auction any eta ? Also I won't be surprised if Delhi doesn't retain a single player this time around as well:D.

They have some serious quality to be honest. Pant, Morris, Cummins etc.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Well, as for DD, they can and must retain these.

de Kock
Pant
Rabada
Cummins / Samson optional

(At least this)

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Delhi, Punjab need to revamp their squad be aggressive as they were initially. Delhi specially has become one hell of a boring team that I always support for Dravid and the youngsters.

B

Bigby Wolf

They have some serious quality to be honest. Pant, Morris, Cummins etc.
Their management is the real issue they made some horrendous decision in the prev. auctions be it in post 2010 or after 2013. Hope they retain services of Dravid ,Upton and Zaheer this time around to really make a strong case for themselves.

Cummins
Pant
Samson
De Cock
Nadeem(only player for DD since 2010).

They should try to have atleast these players in the squad and then try their luck in the auction to build a good quality side.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Their management is the real issue they made some horrendous decision in the prev. auctions be it in post 2010 or after 2013. Hope they retain services of Dravid ,Upton and Zaheer this time around to really make a strong case for themselves.

Cummins
Pant
Samson
De Cock
Nadeem(only player for DD since 2010).

They should try to have atleast these players in the squad and then try their luck in the auction to build a good quality side.
Do not think Dravid can continue as after Lodha reforms they have conflict of interests I think. Dravid is U-19 coach as well

B

Bigby Wolf

Punjab had a great side IMO post Gilchrist departure in 2013 Maxwell & Miller stormed them into the playoffs in the 2014 season with likes of Axar ,Sandeep and couple other players chipping in and well led by Skipper George Bailey but from 2015 constant change of capatincy had made the team's performance even in the next 2 years which struggled to find a proper balance in the side.Its hard to fathom what happened suddenly to such a fine player like Bailey after 2014 he hardly made into the Australian setup thereafter (remember him playing against India in the ODI series 2016 with that weird stance). The KXIP franchise has a history of not finding a proper Captain to lead the troops - Yuvraj did well in the 1st season but a bad outing in the 2nd made Kumar Sangakkara captain in the 3rd season and after a revamp in 2011 Gilchrist was given a opportunity to lead the new look Kings XI for the next 3 years although the team failed to make it for playoffs in those years.
Maxwell is just finding his form at the Shield games so they must atleast retain one of Miller or Maxwell if not both presumably the latter and try their luck in the auction to get the likes of Stoinis back or bring in some fresh faces in the squad.

Maxwell
Amla
Axar
Sandeep

B

Bigby Wolf

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I did not see anything good in Ponting. He might be the greatest captain and a great player but not all players can be good coach. Its similar to Sachin, he can be a great player and was not a good captain. He does not inspire confidence in coaching too. Sachin inspires people but his coaching methods I do not think are good too.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I did not see anything good in Ponting. He might be the greatest captain and a great player but not all players can be good coach. Its similar to Sachin, he can be a great player and was not a good captain. He does not inspire confidence in coaching too. Sachin inspires people but his coaching methods I do not think are good too.

Such perceptions are purely fan created. Tendulkar led a team that only had Kumble and Srinath as players of any pedigree and honour. The others either had pedigree and no honour or vice versa.

Ponting's captaincy numbers are fantastic but his team was easily at least the second best ever (to the great WI side). It's widely regarded that Warne was a far better student of the game.

I think great coaches are those that actually assist the captain but never get mentioned. Mike Hesson, Gary Kirsten, Chandika Hathurasinghe etc. I was very very impressed with Kumble in his short stint as well.

People like Tendulkar are hired by MI for marketing, PR value and a presence for young Indian players. I'm sure, just his presence in the camp must be inspiring for all those cricketers.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Such perceptions are purely fan created. Tendulkar led a team that only had Kumble and Srinath as players of any pedigree and honour. The others either had pedigree and no honour or vice versa.

Ponting's captaincy numbers are fantastic but his team was easily at least the second best ever (to the great WI side). It's widely regarded that Warne was a far better student of the game.

I think great coaches are those that actually assist the captain but never get mentioned. Mike Hesson, Gary Kirsten, Chandika Hathurasinghe etc. I was very very impressed with Kumble in his short stint as well.

People like Tendulkar are hired by MI for marketing, PR value and a presence for young Indian players. I'm sure, just his presence in the camp must be inspiring for all those cricketers.
Saying the same thing but in different ways :p

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
MUMBAI INDIANS

3 Capped Indian Players

Rohit Sharma
Hardik Pandya
Jasprit Bumrah

I don't think MI will be able to get all 3 back for lower than 33 crores if they decide to put these guys back so it makes complete sense to retain these guys.

1 Uncapped Indian Player

This is where things get tricky. MI will have a purse of 47 crores entering the auction and Krunal Pandya is the automatic choice for this category. The issue is that some rival franchises might go in with a clean sheet and decide to get Krunal at an unmatchable price. I predict Krunal getting in the vicinity of 7-9 crores at the auction and MI matching the bid to retain him. In case Mumbai fail to retain him, Harbhajan Singh and Ambati Rayudu become automatic choices for this category.

2 Foreign Players

Keiron Pollard, Lasith Malinga and Jos Buttler are the guys in the running for this spot. In my honest opinion, Buttler is a no brainer considering he's in his pomp and adds the WK option but MI are known to have a serious love for Pollard and I expect him to be RTM'ed at about 6-7 crores. If Malinga gets RTM'ed, it will be an emotional one as it's common knowledge that he's over the hill.

PREDICTION OF RETENTION

ROHIT SHARMA
HARDIK PANDYA
JASPRIT BUMRAH
KRUNAL PANDYA (RTM)
KEIRON POLLARD (RTM)

CHENNAI SUPER KINGS

3 Capped Indian Players

MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina
Ravindra Jadeja

Unlike MI, CSK have a major dilemma. In my honest opinion, if they make the bold call of letting MS and Jadeja back in the auction they go into the auction with 67.5 crores. In my opinion, they should retain Dwayne Bravo as their foreign pick and allow Dhoni and Jadeja back in the pool to allow them to enter the auction with a purse of 59 crores. I don't see people breaking the bank for either and CSK could end up saving valuable purse to break the bank on some other marquee players. What it also would do is allow them to wager a stiff fight for the likes of Krunal Pandya who's proven to be a better bet in the IPL over Jadeja in the last few editions. It also allows them to go all out on someone like a Ben Stokes who will basically play all games.

1 Uncapped Indian Player

Nobody stands out but a punt on Baba Aparajith could come in handy to replace Ravichandran Ashwin.

2 Foreign Players

Dwayne Bravo is a no brainer. I don't see CSK retaining an ageing Brendon McCullum or Dwayne Smith to sacrifice valuable purse money. Same applies to Faf du Plessis.

PREDICTION OF RETENTION

MS DHONI
SURESH RAINA
DWAYNE BRAVO
RAVINDRA JADEJA (RTM)
BABA APARAJITH (RTM)

KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS

3 Capped Indian Players

Gautam Gambhir
Robin Uthappa
Manish Pandey
Kuldeep Yadav

This retention policy is likely to hurt KKR the second most. You have to wonder whether Gambhir is worth his salt at 15 crores moving forward. In the process, you also have to let go off Kuldeep Yadav, a protege developed by the franchise over 3-4 years. Yusuf Pathan also looks set to take on a 3rd franchise in the second decade of the IPL. Umesh Yadav also will move homes, once more.

2 Foreign Players

I have very little clue what Andre Russell's status is in this situation. He's a no brainer but if he can't play this year, does KKR have to let him go into the pool in the following year? He was picked up by KKR at 40 lacs. If put in the auction today, he's sure to fetch anything between 10-20 crores. I'm assuming the second pick would be Chris Lynn. This would mean abandoning Sunil Narine and Chris Woakes.

1 Uncapped Indian Player

To make matters worse, SK Yadav is the vice captain of the KKR. If, KKR decide to retain 3 capped players and 2 foreigners he automatically goes into the auction pool. KKR while having had their wings clipped the most along with MI in this retention policy will go into it with plenty of choices to play with. Like CSK, is Gautam Gambhir worth 15 crores or do they allow him back in the pool and take a punt on someone younger? Time will tell.

PREDICTION OF RETENTION

ROBIN UTHAPPA
MANISH PANDEY
KULDEEP YADAV
CHRIS LYNN (RTM)
SURYA KUMAR YADAV (RTM)

ROYAL CHALLENGERS BANGALORE

3 Capped Indian Players

Virat Kohli
KL Rahul
Kedar Jadhav
Yuzvendra Chahal

I feel KL Rahul and Chahal will get the nod but you never know with Kohli.

2 Foreign Players

I think Watson is out of favour here. I don't know the status of Starc here like Russell. If he's in the mix and RCB still opt for Gayle it will be quite mind numbing. I also feel it's better to invest in people like Stokes than de Villiers at this stage of their careers.

1 Uncapped Indian Player

Sarfaraz obviously is the prime candidate in this category. I don't think the likes of S Aravind or Baby have a chance.

PREDICTION OF RETENTION

VIRAT KOHLI
AB DE VILLIERS
KL RAHUL
YUZVENDRA CHAHAL (RTM)
CHRIS GAYLE (RTM)

Part II coming up tomorrow..

Users who are viewing this thread