Indian Premier League - General Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
There is no way CSK will go into the auction without retaining Dhoni. The city will crucify the franchise if something like that is done. And also, a lot of non-Chennaiites will criticize such a decision, if it is taken.

Yes, it (retaining Dhoni) is going to be a decision purely taken on emotion. But heck, who cares? Dhoni and CSK have become part of the folklore that its unimaginable for the franchise to move ahead without Dhoni when he is still playing the IPL. And also Dhoni is not that bad that CSK needs to think. He is still very much a fit player and if he finds the hitting form, he can still cause damage with the bat. And maybe getting the reins back at CSK might just spur him back into hitting form.

The city is not the franchise. We have seen franchises suffer because of emotional decisions. I think, now these guys are very smart and all they care about is performance. If you see my prediction, I have already stated that CSK will retain him, but, if I were on the strategy team of CSK I would either have him as my third retention i.e pay him 7 crores or just let him back in the pool. If some other mental auction dynamic would have his services for 10-12 crores I would be willing to let him go. It's not just about your purse, it's also weakening the opposition.

I'm a fan of CSK and this is a crucial auction. Poor decisions here will have ramifications for 3 years. Will MS be around in that time? For me, the absolute best situation would be to see AB and MS play together, wherever that might be but it's highly unlikely.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
CSK is connected to MS Dhoni. CSKians will get a huge blow. Fans have waited for two years to see Mahi in Yellow jersey again. MS Dhoni is still India's best WK!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
CSK is connected to MS Dhoni. CSKians will get a huge blow. Fans have waited for two years to see Mahi in Yellow jersey again. MS Dhoni is still India's best WK!

I'm an MS Dhoni fan and I'm about to make a comparison in equal breath. This has nothing to do with their cricketing skills. I come from Kolkata originally and when Ganguly was let go from the franchise, the city lost it's mind. I've been to Chennai and people are very knowledgable and understanding there compared to Kolkata. So, try and understand, if you make emotional decisions, you end up hampering the franchise long term.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I'm an MS Dhoni fan and I'm about to make a comparison in equal breath. This has nothing to do with their cricketing skills. I come from Kolkata originally and when Ganguly was let go from the franchise, the city lost it's mind. I've been to Chennai and people are very knowledgable and understanding there compared to Kolkata. So, try and understand, if you make emotional decisions, you end up hampering the franchise long term.
Its not only an emotional decision. MS Dhoni's Keeping and captaincy is yet alone worth. I believe he can still serve Chennai and India. He may need to bat a bit higher to get his batting form going.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Its not only an emotional decision. MS Dhoni's Keeping and captaincy is yet alone worth. I believe he can still serve Chennai and India. He may need to bat a bit higher to get his batting form going.

Depends on the sum. For every penny extra spent on him, you forgo a better cricketer. No shame from my POV to admit that as a MS fan. That's his greatness I feel. His practicality and down to earth nature.

Worth as you mentioned is not about his ability but the purse you forgo. Is he worth 5-6 crores? Yes. 10-12? No.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Depends on the sum. For every penny extra spent on him, you forgo a better cricketer. No shame from my POV to admit that as a MS fan. That's his greatness I feel. His practicality and down to earth nature.

Worth as you mentioned is not about his ability but the purse you forgo. Is he worth 5-6 crores? Yes. 10-12? No.
I do agree with you somewhat that Dhoni might not be worth 10-12 cr. But he is worth for 8 cr even. Now the calculations is upto the franshise.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Have an inside scoop that RCB are retaining their 3 "STAR" players. If they find more value in Gayle compared to Rahul, it's a JOKE! Chahal to be RTM'ed.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
What an absolute bombshell the governing council has dropped! The actual remuneration of the player will now be deducted from the actual purse of the franchise. I think this has played into the hands of CSK and RR big big time!

Just to let some of you guys know- I have a few friends who play the IPL and it was common knowledge that Kohli drew INR 25 crores in 2016 and a whopping INR 29 crores in 2017. Now, with this new rule the smaller franchises are at a level playing field completely and the gun players will take a huge pay cut. I don't see even VK fetching more than 18-20 crores and I wouldn't pay that much for even him. It also will tempt the likes of Hardik Pandya to put themselves back in the auction and choose not to get retained at INR 11 crores. I think he will certainly go at 15 crores INR.

This is a huge huge news! I'm almost certain now that KKR will let go off Gambhir, CSK will offer Raina the 12.5 crore spot and retain Dhoni as the third player with Bravo as their second.

Bhuvaneshwar Kumar to be retained at INR 15 crores? It's possible. Bumrah worth only INR 7 crores? I've never been so excited for an IPL auction.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-videos/17361/ipl-retention-rcb-srh-predictions

It amazes me how such a fantastic pro like Bhogle also can make such mistakes.

RCB cannot retain/match Kohli/Rahul/Jadhav/Chahal. (all 4)

I feel, RCB will retain Kohli, Rahul and Chahal along with Gayle and AB.

If I were them, I'd retain Kohli (15-20 crores), Rahul and Chahal for a combined purse of 15 crores. I would like to go into the auction with about 45 crores and 2 RTM's along with the absolute mindset of retaining Sarfaraz. I would only retain AB if he came at a cost of about 8 crores. He's 34 almost and not a long term investment. I would instead look for bargain buys like Jos Buttler. Definitely not retain Gayle because he's in the same well as AB, just a lot deeper.

RCB should look to get Buttler/Billings and the no brainer would be Ben Stokes. I think Sam Billings is an absolute steal and see a very very bright future from him!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Yeah, the number of coaching staff at the IPL is just a joke. It's a non sustainable model in my book. Someone would have to give me a splendid reason to explain why Vettori and Kirsten are both needed. Kohli's friendship saga continues as he gets his buddy Nehra a fat cheque. Considering how poor RCB's bowling has always been, I would have preferred to get someone with more experience in the coaching job, but you and I can jibe as much as we like, it's just pointless.

I for one, really want to see AB in yellow. I think the RCB franchise is just a poorly managed/organised body. Some of their auction buys at the prices at which they were are mind numbing to date and history seems to suggest that the likes of AB and Gayle will still be part of the team.

I'll repeat myself again- KKR are at a point very similar to the one after IPL 3 and RCB have a golden opportunity to restructure. But, I feel the latter will falter, again.

All I care about is seeing AB with an IPL winner's trophy once. Whoever that might be with.

B

Bigby Wolf

Yeah, the number of coaching staff at the IPL is just a joke. It's a non sustainable model in my book. Someone would have to give me a splendid reason to explain why Vettori and Kirsten are both needed. Kohli's friendship saga continues as he gets his buddy Nehra a fat cheque. Considering how poor RCB's bowling has always been, I would have preferred to get someone with more experience in the coaching job, but you and I can jibe as much as we like, it's just pointless.
A lot of franchises in all the years of IPL had ridiculous no of staffs (mostly household names in world cricket) MI comes first in my mind when they had Kumble, Ponting, Rhodes, Sachin etc . in 2014.

I for one, really want to see AB in yellow. I think the RCB franchise is just a poorly managed/organised body. Some of their auction buys at the prices at which they were are mind numbing to date and history seems to suggest that the likes of AB and Gayle will still be part of the team.
100% correct they seem to messed up in every single auction ludricrously buying a player for a high price which fails horribly throughout the season and ends up disturbing team balance, Saurabh Tiwary for something 12 crore in 2011 , Yuvraj in 2014 for 14 crore , Tymal Mills last year for 9 something which sums up their results of reaching playoffs only twice in last 6 year.

I'll repeat myself again- KKR are at a point very similar to the one after IPL 3 and RCB have a golden opportunity to restructure. But, I feel the latter will falter, again.
Don't worry about KKR they have done better than most teams when it comes to auction very well lead by Venky Mysore - the CEO ,their only worry at the moment is the Gautam Gambhir who is unlikely to be retained at 15 something crore instead Kuldeep , Lynn and Manish Pandey wll do very well for them.

digiosmosis

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Here are some latest updates from IPL:

Royal Challengers Bangalore, the perennial underachievers, have roped in Gary Kirsten and Ashish Nehra as batting and bowling coaches respectively. Big Coups!
Mumbai Indians, the perennial overachievers, are meanwhile reported to retain skipper Rohit Sharma and the Pandya brothers. Secured!

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Delhi Daredevil's rope in Ricky Ponting as Head Coach for IPL11.
Rahane and Watson retained by Rajasthan Royals.

Users who are viewing this thread