International Cricket Captain III - Official PlanetCricket review

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The International Cricket Captain series of games continues, and this time they promise us a whole new look. Is it that new? Is it worth getting? Let's find out.

When you start the game, the first thing you hear is the familiar strains of Soul Limbo by Booker T and the MGs, better known to some as the theme from the BBC's cricket coverage, in the game for the first time since ICC2002. It appears they've spent some more money on this one.

And the money has also been spent on the interface, as the game has had a significant makeover for the first time since ICC2000. The new look continues when you play a match, with the layout getting a new look, that is a lot more clear.

A new hawkeye style "ball tracker" also makes it appearance here, though it isn't really of much use. It is in the match interface that the first annoyance appears though, as you now have to click one extra time when you set line and length. There are more problems though, more on that later.

The really big change is in the match highlights, which have been changed for the first time since the original game almost ten years ago. They are now genuine 3D, motion captured, animation. They look good, with the grounds recreated to some extent, kits reasonably accurate but without sponsors, with a few exceptions.

But they're far from perfect. Whilst they are now watchable, they have their problems. Players with high-end graphics cards will be disappointed that there is no option to change graphics detail, or even the resolution, which is stuck low down the resolution spectrum, looking rather pixelated on my 17" monitor. Anyone with a bigger monitor is going to find it even worse.

The match highlights also show problems with the lbw rule. I've seen lbws given when the ball pitches well outside leg stump, and not given when it's plumb in front. It happens too often to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they've programmed umpire mistakes into the game though.

So whilst the new interface does look good, what about "under the hood"? Well.... it's basically the same game. It features the same errors that have been in the game for a long time.

There still aren't enough sixes. Whilst a county championship match without a six is not that far beyond the realms of possibility, a Twenty20 match without a six is about as likely as a Test match century from Monty Panesar.

The game still does not know the difference between a Kolpak player and a player with an EU or UK passport. Andy Flower and Nic Pothas are both Kolpak players in the game, when they aren't in real life.

As the captain of your side, you always call at the toss, when in real life, the away captain does the calling.

You still can only select 12 players for a home Test match, and still can't select separate Test and ODI squads when on tour.

ODI's for the top six associates are also missing from the game.

Ridiculous data errors also are still in the game. Ian Harvey, an Australian playing on a UK passport in real life, is Italian on the game. David Hemp is not a Bermuda player in the game, when he is in real life. There are probably more, but I haven't checked everyone.

With Cricket Coach far outweighing the ICC series in terms of depth (you can still only captain an English county in ICC III) the team at Childish Things needs to give us more of a reason to buy the next ICC game. Expansion to the domestic competitions of other countries is sorely needed.

But is the game worth getting? If you've not bought an ICC game in a while, or have never bought one, buy it. If you bought ICC2006 Ashes Edition, then it's practically the same game.

It's good, but not good enough when compared to the competition. Childish Things need to grow up.

Rating: 6/10

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks Andrew. That pretty much reinforces the things I don't like about the game.

"Childish Things need to grow up." - What a lovely pun. ;)

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
It's a good review and once again highlights the fact that a cricket game chooses looks over accuracy and playability.

Love the pun at the end!

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Something that you failed to mention includes the fact that we can now skipper our chosen international side in full game mode, which is a huge addition for me.

andrew_nixon said:
The game still does not know the difference between a Kolpak player and a player with an EU or UK passport. Andy Flower and Nic Pothas are both Kolpak players in the game, when they aren't in real life.
Not exactly the biggest error ever, it doesn't affect the game in any way.

andrew_nixon said:
ODI's for the top six associates are also missing from the game.
If you can't control those sides it's rather fruitless including that in the game, I know you're the big associate guy but it's not exactly the most important feature.

andrew_nixon said:
Ridiculous data errors also are still in the game. Ian Harvey, an Australian playing on a UK passport in real life, is Italian on the game. David Hemp is not a Bermuda player in the game, when he is in real life. There are probably more, but I haven't checked everyone.
That's the laziest error I've heard yet, Italy?

The Mongrel

Club Cricketer
I really think the final comment is incorrect. It is the best cricket game compared to its competition. I have full respect for the Cricket Coach guys - I like the game. However, for me ICC3 is much more playable, has a more realistic match engine and has more longevity.

Yes, playing as Australian first class teams would be great - but that and th ability for players to play for two sides (NH and SH) are the only things Cricket Coach has over ICC. Both are good games, but ICC is better.

Sureshot

Executive member
The ICC games will sell simply because they always have that "one more game" addictiveness, like the FM series. It is flawed and it can improve in some ways which would be simple, but of course as I said the brand and the "one more game" bit will always sell it copies and it will always be a winner. I did try the 2 day trial and I enjoyed it, but I've got ICC2006 AE and as Andrew said it's pretty much the same game. I'll probably eventually buy ICC3 but once it's gone down in price.

GrahamB

School Cricketer
I've got ICC2006 AE and as Andrew said it's pretty much the same game. I'll probably eventually buy ICC3 but once it's gone down in price.

The gameplay AI has been improved in ICC3. The spinners no longer dominate the international game which used to ruin previous versions of the game.
Chris Childs is addressing the LBW problem amongst others for an upcoming patch.

roush

School Cricketer
I totally agree with this review. I absolutlely love the series but I feel that the new game lacks any real improvement in terms of what you can do "off the field" so to speak.

The idea of a cricket management game is to be involved in the behind the scenes side of the game. If I wanted great graphics I'd just buy Brian Lara.

Games like Football Manager have brilliant new additions every year for example team talks, giving comments to the media and organising your own pre season tournaments. This kind of thing would be awesome in ICC 3.

We should be able to create our own tours, including to the assoc nations. At the moment I'm managing Bangladesh and the same 2 test 3 ODI format grows boring. If we were to send proposals to create our own series that would be brilliant and more realistic (eg if i asked Australia for a 5 ODI series they could negotiate back and offer to play 3).

More involvement in the finances and improvement of the training setup are needed. Allowing things like ground expansion and a more elaborate training set up is needed rather than 8 coach and 2 physio sessions you get at the moment.

Another thing you really need is the ability to hire staff. A good team requires good coaching staff and so having the ability to negotiate contracts with coaches would be a major improvement to the game.

All said and done ICC 3 is still brilliant, still addictive and still the most realistic cricket management game on the market.

dikon

Club Cricketer
I totally agree with this review. I absolutlely love the series but I feel that the new game lacks any real improvement in terms of what you can do "off the field" so to speak.

The idea of a cricket management game is to be involved in the behind the scenes side of the game. If I wanted great graphics I'd just buy Brian Lara.

Games like Football Manager have brilliant new additions every year for example team talks, giving comments to the media and organising your own pre season tournaments. This kind of thing would be awesome in ICC 3.

We should be able to create our own tours, including to the assoc nations. At the moment I'm managing Bangladesh and the same 2 test 3 ODI format grows boring. If we were to send proposals to create our own series that would be brilliant and more realistic (eg if i asked Australia for a 5 ODI series they could negotiate back and offer to play 3).

More involvement in the finances and improvement of the training setup are needed. Allowing things like ground expansion and a more elaborate training set up is needed rather than 8 coach and 2 physio sessions you get at the moment.

Another thing you really need is the ability to hire staff. A good team requires good coaching staff and so having the ability to negotiate contracts with coaches would be a major improvement to the game.

All said and done ICC 3 is still brilliant, still addictive and still the most realistic cricket management game on the market.
Very well said.I've been thinking this for a while.The game IMO should become more like lma manager with ground improvements, choosing sponsors,team training etc.I also think we should be able to have more of a say on the second team or maybe hire coaches for the second team something like that would make ICC truely awesome!

The Mongrel

Club Cricketer
Very well said.I've been thinking this for a while.The game IMO should become more like lma manager with ground improvements, choosing sponsors,team training etc.I also think we should be able to have more of a say on the second team or maybe hire coaches for the second team something like that would make ICC truely awesome!

Really, are choosing sponsors and improving the grounds all that important? The engine is the most important thing - and while its almost perfect at the moment, they need to improve that before everything.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Thank you andrew for confirming that this game is not worth my money. I am now seriously considering getting Cricket Coach due to its great depth and attention to detail.

Users who are viewing this thread