Is Pakistan the best Twenty20 team?

Is Pakistan the best Twenty20 team?

• Total voters

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
On paper and based on past form and all, definetly.
But seeing the unpredictability of this format as well as Australia's recent revival I think I rank the Aussies as 1st atm, but we are definetly second.
People may seem to forget we were without the Worlds best T20 bowler.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I do not think any team has been dominant in T20 long enough to be considered as the best in the format. Pakistan though might be the closest to that, purely because of their consistency in the world cups.

War

Chairman of Selectors
At full strenght Australia or South Africa would have the best balanced T20 teams. But as aformentioned by others, no team has dominated internationally long at this stage to be called the outright best.

But before too long i expect Australia to be that team.

Mike23

Club Captain
They aren't the 'best' team, any team can win a t20 on their day but they sure are the most consistent.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
Pakistan are surely one of the top 3 teams in T20's. Having the best record in T20, and 2 finals and 1 semi final help.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I do not think any team has been dominant in T20 long enough to be considered as the best in the format.

Couldn't agree more. It's a fickle format - and the less international T20 played the better in my opinion. It can be thrilling, but it doesn't PROVE anything.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Currently no. Las year, yes.

And we all know how they got to the semis.

MaD

Chairman of Selectors
They don't have single reliable bowler, none of there bowlers were in the top 10 for economy or average
They didn't even deserve to win this World Cup, they've been relying solely on their batting to get em up there and if batting fails to get an above par score, they have no chance

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Quite simply, no. We've beaten them in our last 3 encounters. And the Aussies haven't lost a game since the last T20I World Cup (the New Zealand game is officially recognised as a tie).

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Fielding has a huge factor on T20 (or in any other form, all the top teams are good fielding sides), and Paks fielding SUCK!

angryangy

ICC Chairman
"Skilled rabble" was a term used by Ian Chappell to describe Pakistan in 1992 before the World Cup. They are like an armed militia competing against professional armies. However, it's these sorts of fighters that can power revolutions; so too, Pakistan's asymmetric warfare can be effective against more organised cricketers, but the weaknesses tend to become more obvious the longer the battle must draw on. If anything consistent can be observed of Pakistan, it's that they have an uncanny knack of ambushing opponents at the start and and losing in the dying moments.

This is highlighted by Pakistan's rivalry, or lack thereof, with Australia in the last 8 months. They have enjoyed a painful 12 consecutive defeats in all formats, not because of incomparable skill, but because Australia are so difficult to rout. Though there have been thrashings, around one third of the games have been decided in the last over. Australia have been able to hold their nerve in the face of defeat until Pakistan are out of answers.

There have been a few times when Pakistan have appeared to excel above this, but it takes incredible leadership. For Pakistan in their current state to be the best in the world, it surely means that they haven't been offered enough competition.

With the two teams in this year's final, we definitely see some sleeping giants being awakened. For Australia, it's White and Nannes finally being able to convert their domestic T20 records into international ones. For England, Morgan, Lumb and Kieswetter have revitalised the batting, while Yardy and Bresnan have provided honest support to the main wicket takers rather than trying too hard. Both teams have learned from defeat at the hands of very low opposition. They have worked hard on creating roles for players rather than just turning up with 11 and taking the results for granted.

The door is still ajar for yet more teams to get serious. South Africa and India are both having a bit of internal turmoil at the moment, but they are both stocked with the resources that could be more competitive. The West Indies and Sri Lanka would also argue that they could play better. The question is which teams will heed the warnings and which teams will like India this year, allow their problems to go unchecked.

Users who are viewing this thread