It is here - finally - alpha 0.1 released!!!!

Dragon Fire

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hmmm... if I wanted some bowling actions in the game, they would be:

- Brett Lee
- Glenn McGrath / Munaf Patel (they're identical)
- Lasith Malinga
- Mike Proctor
- Mitchell Johnson
- Shane Warne
- Graeme Swann
- Harbhajan Singh
- Daniel Vettori
- Ajantha Mendis

I expect it's fairly easy just to mirror them for right and left armers, but I don't know for sure as I have no experience in anything like this.

REVIEW

***--
Engine --> ****- Good physics, but can't get the ball to spin properly
Addictiveness --> **--- I get bored, but with more depth will come more options.

***-- is about as good as you can get for this kind of release, great job!

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
Wow,Just Wow.Seriously.First India Won,Then I found TAOC is released(alpha,But is finally here),2 Great things in One day :D
[And Yeah I am back :p with My horrible English :p,Missed Pc in last Few months]

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
played it for 15 minutes last night...then got really frustrated and turned it off and went to sleep.

first of all, for the love of god i cant hit the ball at all :( most of the time the ball hits the pads or goes between the bat and pad and i get bowled :( i am finding it a bit too hard. but i guess i need more practice.

I read through the thread and looks like the longer i hold down the mouse button the more power will be in the shot. my question is, doesn't that make the timing a guess work? i mean to play a shot with max power i have to click and hold the right mouse button even before the bowler bowls the delivery (like lee at his fastest) and even then i am late sometimes. and if i have to hold the mouse button to build up power, how would i know exactly when the batsman will play the shot? it just seems a bit confusing. i was wondering whether you can change the control schemes a little and assign a different key to build up power and we will only use the mouse button to TIME the shot. in this way a lot of guess work can be avoided regarding timing. (BTW, i wonder if i am the only one who is having trouble with the timing and understanding when i should press the mouse button and for how long)

2nd of all, this is a small bug that some people already mentioned. sometimes the ball will hit the stumps but the bails wont fall for another 4-5 seconds, and then fall slowly. maybe once in a blue moon it can happen in reality, but happens a bit too much in the game which makes me think its a bug.

3rd of all, it might be just me but sometimes when the ball is racing through the grounds it feels like it's floating in air or something (not talking about the speed). might be my graphics tho that makes it look like that.

4th of all, after a straight drive when the ball is racing towards boundary, the camera tracks the ball and does a flip like they are capturing it from the sky. it just looks weird. better thing would be to completely change the camera and show it from another direction like the way straight 4 gets broadcast on tv

now coming to the positive side, the animations are to die for! the cover drive specially is amazing (would feel more amazing if i could time the shot and actually hit one :rolleyes . Also loving the bowling animations, i can't try the swings and spins because i am using a laptop but watched some videos of it and looks pretty darn impressive. the graphics does not look terrible either. :spy tbh it looks pretty decent. i read you have not implemented edges properly in the alpha yet, but still i was able to get some genuine edges towards the keeper and first slip positions and it looked and felt AMAZING! now only if i could learn how to bat!

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
(BTW, i wonder if i am the only one who is having trouble with the timing and understanding when i should press the mouse button and for how long)

Most of us like the fact that we aren't masters of timing the ball in the very first 15 minutes of the game.

Also, I've already requested for a timing meter to show how we did in the last delivery (early, late or perfect) but the developers are yet to confirm it. If it's implemented, I think, there will be lesser 'guess' work required and more of 'getting-in' and then trying out the shots.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
Most of us like the fact that we aren't masters of timing the ball in the very first 15 minutes of the game.

Also, I've already requested for a timing meter to show how we did in the last delivery (early, late or perfect) but the developers are yet to confirm it. If it's implemented, I think, there will be lesser 'guess' work required and more of 'getting-in' and then trying out the shots.

lol...I didn't mean to sound it like a complain. i am just a bit confused about how to time the ball....even after perfect timing sometimes the ball passes through underneath the bat and uproots the stumps. i wonder if it is because of bad shot selection (i play straight drives in full balls on mddle-off stamp) or lack of footwork. some videos of people playing it or instructions on how to bat would be helpful. i am not frustrated about this being too hard, i am frustrated about not being able to understand how the timing works)

dhoare

School Cricketer
WOW

wow wow wow
This looks REALLY promising! I was away from home when I saw this, so I downloaded it straight onto my 6 year old laptop (XP, 1.5 GHz, 512MB ram 16MB GFX) and it ran like an absolute dream, even on middling settings. There's a long way to go, but on some features, TAOC is already way ahead of the competition, like the bowling actions. Recognising Lee and Warne gave me a real buzz! If you're looking for immersive gameplay, you guys are onto a winner with that one :p

Keep up the great work

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
i am just a bit confused about how to time the ball....even after perfect timing sometimes the ball passes through underneath the bat and uproots the stumps. i wonder if it is because of bad shot selection (i play straight drives in full balls on mddle-off stamp) or lack of footwork.

I share the same feeling mate. And, I'll repeat, timing meter should be helpful to identify what went wrong. :)

Nithish Victor

Club Cricketer
Pros :
I somehow love the physics implemented here.
The ball whizzes past the stumps,thuds on the pad, bringing in the real cricket feel. I get satisfaction when the ball meets the bat.
Graphics are good enough and animations are smooth enough( runs like a dream on my 8600GT).

Cons :
Little bit more friction needed on the field ? (Or am I missing something ?)
Needs the bowler animation to be a little bit faster.
Needs to connect the bat more(albeit without timing is not only ok, it's perfect).

I guess the addition of more anims and edges will smoothen things out and if you get the physics right, then you have made a better game than the current gen cricket games.

BeingHuman

School Cricketer
when you play straight drive .. and if the ball goes goes straight four to long on/off ..when the ball is nearing to reach four .. the camera work is pathetic ..its same old pathetic C2002 .. like as if camera guy is hanging on helicopter and taking the camera work from the top of the ball .. please follow BLC99 camera work ..like shown in this video watch from 0:25 .. YouTube - D3DTNTxp 2005 07 14 04 01 49 501

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
wow wow wow
This looks REALLY promising! I was away from home when I saw this, so I downloaded it straight onto my 6 year old laptop (XP, 1.5 GHz, 512MB ram 16MB GFX) and it ran like an absolute dream, even on middling settings. There's a long way to go, but on some features, TAOC is already way ahead of the competition, like the bowling actions. Recognising Lee and Warne gave me a real buzz! If you're looking for immersive gameplay, you guys are onto a winner with that one :p

Keep up the great work

Wow, surprised it runs at all on those specs, lol...but glad to hear it! Cool.

when you play straight drive .. and if the ball goes goes straight four to long on/off ..when the ball is nearing to reach four .. the camera work is pathetic ..its same old pathetic C2002 .. like as if camera guy is hanging on helicopter and taking the camera work from the top of the ball .. please follow BLC99 camera work ..like shown in this video watch from 0:25 .. YouTube - D3DTNTxp 2005 07 14 04 01 49 501

Yes, I simply ran out of time to fix this. But clearly it will not be like this by the next release.

guna24

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I lost my hope to check whether TAOC released or not. I had dream last night and i have checked again, shocked about this alpha released..I played last night and i love the physic system really and stroke variations too. i tried cover drives with different angel and i got very good result as well. Its bit tough to bowl and bat simultaneously. is there only front foot shot in alpha? can some one tell how to pull or stroke the short balls? i hope in next release there will be separate training for bat and bowl.

Forget to mentioned..with Fantastic graphic settings, im getting consistent 400 FPS (silk smooth) i dont know how. checked in Fraps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread