MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
In case anyone is interested, it has now been a whole year since Ashes Cricket 2013 released, and in a few days it will be a year since it was cancelled.

To celebrate, I installed the game again and recorded a match. I've got a newer graphics card since the last time I made videos of it, so the game runs a little bit more smoothly frame-rate wise, though that doesn't help the game itself.

I wish there was a better way to show just how awful the batting timing situation is - I'm terrible at it, because you need to play shots so early to do anything, hence not bothering with normal shots.

Still awaiting processing as I post this so here's a playlist of the videos I posted at the time Ashes Cricket 2013 - YouTube

Enjoy...

D

Dutch

Cheers for this Matt. I knew you wouldnt let us down unlike the makers and publishers......[DOUBLEPOST=1416661724][/DOUBLEPOST]i actually remember thinking to myself: okay there has been such a lot of bullshit around this game but thought having seen some of the advertised features that it might be worthwhile......2 minutes after release it was clear that something mesmerisingly shite had happened......

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Everything mentioned by the developers/producers about this game prior to release was more or less fraudulent.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think "More or Less" is being gracious. I would say most of what we were led to believe was utter garbage built by a strategic campaign of consistent deceit and false reports on the development status.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's criminal that little or nothing happened to Mike Fegan and his cronies after this. They strung us along for over a year, even had a press day at Lord's and ended up releasing something that doesn't appear to have made the alpha stage, let alone beta or final version. There should have been investigations, punishments.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think "More or Less" is being gracious. I would say most of what we were led to believe was utter garbage built by a strategic campaign of consistent deceit and false reports on the development status.
It was only "more or less" because there were, to be fair, two teams on a cricket field. Everything else was a lie.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I still have an unused review code for this POS. That's how much I couldnt give a toss about this game. I didn't even want it FOR FREE.

EDIT:

I'm still baffled that there's seemingly been no repercussions for these muppets. They must have lost a LOT of money?

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Didn't they shut down Trickstar and start up another company, which may have helped them avoid the financial penalties and image issues? Perhaps I'm making that up...

This is the sort of game that I'd actually really quite like to try since hilariously bad games can be really funny to play at times; but i was never going to give them the £20 or whatever to do that since it would be rewarding the production of a terrible game.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I really have no idea what happened to em, but nothing would surprise me more if they pulled the pin and dodged paying people salaries (or worse) due to the abysmal failure of this garbage.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Well the code for Ashes Cricket 2013 became a mobile game called Bullseye Cricket - obviously to fulfil contracts with Cricket Australia. You'll note that it's published by CA rather than Trickstar, because I can't imagine they'll be publicly putting their name to a product any time soon.

Didn't they shut down Trickstar and start up another company, which may have helped them avoid the financial penalties and image issues? Perhaps I'm making that up...
You're probably thinking of Transmission - the ones that made Ashes Cricket 2009, they folded and then Trickstar popped up to carry on with International Cricket 2010. Somehow.

Them not collapsing would likely be because 505 Games must have taken on most of the risk related to Ashes 2013, which makes me very interested as to the status of the licence.

silverthorne

Club Captain
I'm shocked. TrickStar made a total mockery of the cricket game.

I wouldn't call Bullseye Cricket a cricket game. More like a short casual game with a cricket theme.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Well the code for Ashes Cricket 2013 became a mobile game called Bullseye Cricket - obviously to fulfil contracts with Cricket Australia. You'll note that it's published by CA rather than Trickstar, because I can't imagine they'll be publicly putting their name to a product any time soon.
I finally got around to getting an iOS device so I could try out some of these games - along with much better ones like Real Cricket. Here's a video I did from it:

I was amused in the beginning by the minor difference that the 'womens' cricket made to how things looked, it's obviously nice that they included it at all, but they should have at least included the kits of the women's teams. Though with the WBBL starting next season they are retroactively correct-ish.

As I mention in the video description, it's hardly a bad game, but they did have to take out almost every aspect that makes the game 'cricket' to be able to make it functional.

Users who are viewing this thread