Jan 3-7: 5th Test: Australia v England at Sydney

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Shoe is back on the other foot again, Aussie players under pressure to keep their spots while the English only have to worry about Collingwood.

From this article, Ponting won't risk his injury which means Khawaja into the side. Harris definitely gone so Beer probably coming in although now is a good time to use the 'local knowledge' reason.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
England could bring back Finn for Bresnan here. But maybe they wont.

AUS obviously Bollinger has to come back in for Harris & Copeland for Hilfenhaus given Hifly is struggling to get his trademark swing.

If Ponting can play - he damn well should. Drawing this series 2-2 is just as important as winning the world cup. If he wants rest, rest him from some of the ODI vs ENG.

The batting line-up needs needs solidifying. Easier said that done of course. So all of hopefully a fit again Katich, Khawaja, Ferguson, White, D Hussey needs to be considered. But i have no clue just yet what the best combination for the top 6 should be.

All im sure about is that the 4-bowlers chosen @ Sydney. Have to be Bollinger/Copeland or Hilfy/Johnson/Siddle. No spinner.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Why don't we play a reverse order for this match if our top order always collapse. I'm sure Hilfy and Siddle will do great as openers....

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Just pick a proper top order. You know, like one made of in-form top order batsmen.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
England could bring back Finn for Bresnan here. But maybe they wont.

AUS obviously Bollinger has to come back in for Harris & Copeland for Hilfenhaus given Hifly is struggling to get his trademark swing.

If Ponting can play - he damn well should. Drawing this series 2-2 is just as important as winning the world cup. If he wants rest, rest him from some of the ODI vs ENG.

The batting line-up needs needs solidifying. Easier said that done of course. So all of hopefully a fit again Katich, Khawaja, Ferguson, White, D Hussey needs to be considered. But i have no clue just yet what the best combination for the top 6 should be.

All im sure about is that the 4-bowlers chosen @ Sydney. Have to be Bollinger/Copeland or Hilfy/Johnson/Siddle. No spinner.

No spinner at Sydney? You really are a fool.

You don't seem to rate spinners at all, or teams who use them, or pitches which favour them.
I think you have been playing too much International Cricket Captain.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Spinners are da bomb on ICC.

Doesn't always work like that in real life tho.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I think Hauritz will be back for this test especially considering that Ponting won't be there.

lethalhughes

Club Cricketer

You don't seem to rate spinners at all, or teams who use them, or pitches which favour them.

Do Australia really have a spinner good enough?A case can be made for Hauritz to be brought back in,but selectors would look foolish.We might need a spinner in Sydney though.Hauritz is the only option then.First and foremost though we need to establish who our best pacers are,because out of those we've tried Johnson performance ones an year and thats being generous,Siddle is ok but hasn't develop much since his debut,Hilfy just bowls outside off stump and doesn't have the killer instinct to finish a batsman off when the batter is under pressure,Harris is the best we have but he is injured.Copeland is the best pacer I've seen in the domestic set up and he is must pick, though that wont happen.If I was picking a spinner on potential alone I would pick Holland.This guy has what it takes,his record might not look flashy but if we deem Hauritz not good enough and we want 2 take a punt on a young spinner, he is the one.Bollinger btw should come back in.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Yes because the SCG this season has been favouring spin so much this season & you are 100% confident that a seamer friendly SCG pitch as these two games showed cannot be prepared.

These two games clearly show that:

- New South Wales v Tasmania at Sydney, Nov 17-19, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

- New South Wales v Victoria at Sydney, Nov 10-13, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Seconldy if i dont rate spinner, like the horrendously crap ones that AUS have currently (although i'm in the camp that still rates Krejza). Then you have a love for crap spinners.

If a spinner is good enough liek Swann for ENG. Then is support him playing every test. But AUS does not have a spinner of Swann quality quite clearly who can hold up & end nor become a wicket taking threat if the SCG turns to trouble the ENG batting line-up.

It pretty obvious AUS best 4 bowlers are 4 quicks regardless of the pitch. If you dont see that by now, then yo have been playing too much HUYB (Head up your butt).

----------

At least you could say Hauritz has responded to being dropped.

Or maybe he has just taken wickets againts the two weakest sheild batting line-ups in SA & WA & the illution that he has improved has been created.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
It pretty obvious AUS best 4 bowlers are 4 quicks regardless of the pitch. If you dont see that by now, then yo have been playing too much HUYB (Head up your butt).

"Head up your butt"? Seriously its like a discussion with a ten year old.

War

Chairman of Selectors
"Head up your butt"? Seriously its like a discussion with a ten year old.

Ye & it was all good when poster slowcoach was throwing the insults around. But you had no problem cautioning of him, you most likely didn't see it. But now that i return the favour, now its a problem.

The planetcricket double standard.

Sureshot

Executive member
Wow, do I really need to tell people what's wrong with the above and to stop it?

I think Aus need to drop Hilfy. With Harris out too it's a perfect opportunity to play a spinner, which they must do, their attack is too one paced when things aren't going well. The batting needs an overhaul too, but it won't happen. They also need to define Smith's role in the side, he's batting 2 places too high.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
They also need to define Smith's role in the side, he's batting 2 places too high.

I think it was Athers (or Nasser) who summed it up perfectly. Smiths there because Australia's bowling attack cannot be trusted to routinely bowl out sides while their batting can't be trusted to not collapse in a heap. So they went down the bits and pieces route but Smith's not of a level to be good enough to fill the gap. You know that there's problems when you're throwing people who do a bit of both in without excelling.

I wonder what Haddin thinks being lower in the order to him.

Users who are viewing this thread