RUGBY Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge on Steam

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was wondering, has anyone played this yet? I've been looking around for Rugby 08 PC, but the cheapest I can find it is ?15 on ebay, which is a bit steep for an old game that's second hand (and only has the CD key - no manual). Jonah Lomu is a new game as well so there won't be any Win 7 64bit or Quad Core CPU issues, but from what I can see, there's not a great deal of International content. If anyone's got it, has it got the World Cup and Six Nations tournaments?

Going by the videos I've seen, the atmosphere isn't the best and the commentary suffers from something I thought we'd seen the end of: And that's a scrum to...New Zealand - remember some of EA's older cricket games used to do the same thing? Four runs to... Atherton (for example). And the England kit looks horrific (unless it's supposed to be based on League, and I'm sure this is a Union game)! Scrum movement looks terribly unrealistic as well.

Last edited:

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
If anyone's got it, has it got the World Cup and Six Nations tournaments?

Yeah there is, albeit not being licensed. Meaning you'll have fake-names for all those participating players, unless of course they play domestic rugby in one of the licensed leagues of the game.

Rugby Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Six Nations teams will have most of their players licensed due to the licensing of the Aviva Premiership, RDP12 and Top 14 leagues. However due to rival game Rugby World Cup 2011 the official strip/emblem/stadium of these countries will be fictional.[12] Several South African and Argentine players (who play in the aforementioned leagues) will also be included.

Shouldn't be a problem at all though, given there are numerous forums working on patches, eventually correcting all fake-names present.

Rugby08 as you said definitely sounds expensive at ?15. Tbh, I've played this game only over the fortnight and I've already sorta got bored with the game-play.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Yeah there is, albeit not being licensed. Meaning you'll have fake-names for all those participating players, unless of course they play domestic rugby in one of the licensed leagues of the game.

Rugby Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shouldn't be a problem at all though, given there are numerous forums working on patches, eventually correcting all fake-names present.

Rugby08 as you said definitely sounds expensive at ?15. Tbh, I've played this game only over the fortnight and I've already sorta got bored with the game-play.

You're bored of Rugby 08 after only a couple of weeks? Hmmm, maybe I'll stick to Fifa then (I know it's not rugby!!)

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
You're bored of Rugby 08 after only a couple of weeks? Hmmm, maybe I'll stick to Fifa then (I know it's not rugby!!)

Yeah, installed the patch a week back and initially enjoyed playing with all those new tournaments being added in the patch. But the game-play hasn't changed one bit whatsoever and is horrifically predictable to say the least.

The game is really good with a vast variety of teams, players and tournaments - especially with the addition of patches. Its the game-play that's awful. The Haka's one thing I loved while playing though. :D

P.S: Don't buy it for anything more than ?5. Waste of money.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Heard some really good things about Jonah Lomu by the way. The game is supposed to be infinitely better than Rugby World Cup which is out. Possibly the only licensed tournament game to ever be released, that doesn't have licenses for all the teams :/

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Just thought I'd mention, the World Cup game is horrendous. Its monotonous because you can basically call every move. Very little in the way of tactical movement, its just pass and move really.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
You should pick up the new Jonah Lomu Simbazz. I haven't got around to it yet since I don't really need any new games with Dark Souls still ruling my life, but I'll definitely be picking it up as a couple of my mates have got it and all think it's the best Rugby game they've played in years.

I have, on the other hand, only heard bad things about Rugby World Cup, and the demo got boring after two games ;)

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I've heard similar decent reviews, but them again it's Jonah Lomu Rugby, if that can't gain nostalgic rave reviews then very little can. I intend to pick it up when it drops in price a little, paid in full for the world cup game and with MW3 and Assassins Creed on the out soon, I'd rather wait for a while.

You got an Xbox Puddleduck?

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
You should pick up the new Jonah Lomu Simbazz. I haven't got around to it yet since I don't really need any new games with Dark Souls still ruling my life, but I'll definitely be picking it up as a couple of my mates have got it and all think it's the best Rugby game they've played in years.

I have, on the other hand, only heard bad things about Rugby World Cup, and the demo got boring after two games ;)

I got it for my mate for his b'day and I thought it was rubbish. Since then they have updated it though and added game sliders so on the hardest difficulty you can create very realistic/competitive matches. It also removes the 'offload-a-rama' situation. Rugby Challenge is definitely the way to go as far as content. Has a full editor too. Has it's issues still, such as a lack of mauling but the graphics are awesome and may more variety compared to RWC 2011.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Nah Simbazz, got a Ps3 and a rather nifty gaming laptop that I have grown to love more than the missus. Not that I'd tell her, but seriously, this cost over a grand while she just costs me money :p

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

See, this is why you should all release demos of your games, Mr Games Company Owner! Maybe I'll keep an eye on Jonah Lomu and pick it up when Steam inevitably slash its price. ;) The absolute cheapest I can find Rugby 08 for is ?8 and that'll depend on CEX shipping it from one store to another. Last time I tried that, they said they'd do it - a year down the line, nothing has happened (I gave up hope after about six weeks).

What about mods for Jonah Lomu? Has anyone released something to give everything its proper licence?

----------

I got it for my mate for his b'day and I thought it was rubbish. Since then they have updated it though and added game sliders so on the hardest difficulty you can create very realistic/competitive matches. It also removes the 'offload-a-rama' situation. Rugby Challenge is definitely the way to go as far as content. Has a full editor too. Has it's issues still, such as a lack of mauling but the graphics are awesome and may more variety compared to RWC 2011.

Yeah, RWC 2011 sounds like a typical 'tournament' game - play it during the tournament, then sell it on Ebay or something!

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Yeah there are mods for rugby challenge on sidhe forums making the rosters, kits and everything all legit. On the pc only ofcourse.

koeloe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I have rugby challenge and I enjoy it very much. There is a couple of bugs, but it is nothing major. There is alot of competitions and you can create your own competitions. The gameplay is very enjoyable once you get used to it. There are a couple of mods available for download for PC at General Discussion

I personally think it is way better than Rugby 08 and Rugby World Cup. It is a must buy in my opinion.:yes

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I have rugby challenge and I enjoy it very much. There is a couple of bugs, but it is nothing major. There is alot of competitions and you can create your own competitions. The gameplay is very enjoyable once you get used to it. There are a couple of mods available for download for PC at General Discussion

I personally think it is way better than Rugby 08 and Rugby World Cup. It is a must buy in my opinion.:yes

A must buy, eh? Interesting. I'll keep tabs on it - Steam always have sales for relatively new games.

----------

Yeah, installed the patch a week back and initially enjoyed playing with all those new tournaments being added in the patch. But the game-play hasn't changed one bit whatsoever and is horrifically predictable to say the least.

Its the game-play that's awful.

P.S: Don't buy it for anything more than ?5. Waste of money.

That pretty much kills it, eh? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread