Lockdown tournament (SEASON 2 - Updates in first post)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'd go for option 2 but it will only really be of any use to me if we could pick from history, as my knowledge of contemporary cricket is rudimentary at best.
I'd provide a curated list of players.

I did think about a historic one, or a mix, but I think it'd be a bit much to get sorted. If this works out and people want to do it again there's no reason not to try a historic one, especially if we're still in lockdown at Christmas.

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd provide a curated list of players.

I did think about a historic one, or a mix, but I think it'd be a bit much to get sorted. If this works out and people want to do it again there's no reason not to try a historic one, especially if we're still in lockdown at Christmas.

I think it's a feature of getting old.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s when I started getting into all sorts of sports I almost instantly knew all the current players and I very quickly learned all the history as well. I then coped ok with the first wave of new players but after that my brain shut down and wouldn't accept any new sportspeople.

I could probably still tell you the entire 1994 Aston Villa squad, the podium finishers in every Grand Prix in 1993, a full 90s XI for each first class county, the starting quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers and half the defense for every NFL team in 1988...

...but I'd struggle to name any current cricketer for South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or the West Indies, I wouldn't have a clue which county 90% of the current England team (nominally) plays for and I'd probably struggle to even name a Glamorgan XI... even though I could give you a detailed appraisal of ever player who played for them from 1993 to about 2003. Even Steve Tomlinson and Andrew Jones who only played four games between them and I saw three of them.

Last edited:

gillyboy04

Associate Cricketer
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm in and I'll add another vote to idea 2. The draft tickles my fancy.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The overwhelming majority say option 2, so I've made a start on that.

A little poster.

SOCIAL DISTANCING SHIELD.png

I've made an auction Google sheet that should allow people to easily select the players they want. I'll send each of you your own version of this where you can make bids on players.

There is more detail available to look at (skills and mentalities). I have no idea how if it'll work, could be a complete cluster****. We shall see.

Really liked @relaxedanderson suggestion of using overall rating as a way to determine a base price. Made a couple of tweaks to balance it. Due to the quirks of the skill system in the game though there are probably some overpriced players and some absolute bargains.

I have also founded my own currency: Wa$te Dollars. I shall be giving you W$T1500-2000 to spend on 16 players. Don't spend it all on Jennings like I would. Stokes is currently top price at W$T 95.
AUCTION.png

The player types I've got are similar to the game:
Batters
Batting All Rounders
All Rounders
Bowling All Rounders
Pace Bowlers
Spin Bowlers
Wicketkeepers

Some real life roles will differ in some instances to maximise the primary skill e.g. Ashwin, Woakes are set as bowlers I would see them as fitting better in Bowling All Rounders. And there might be some all rounders who might fit better in other categories.

I was going to suggest some rules for selections but let's not overcomplicate it. I want to see who is going to be the most shrewd, the most cunning and the most carefree when picking their squad.

One rule I'll say is a squad should have at least 1 player from each category.

Users who are viewing this thread